Oooh... I'm Pissed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPARTAN II

Sr Member
Here's a quick recap (or as "quick" as I can make it):

Last Wednesday, the fridge in my apartment broke down. Didn't find out about it until later in the day when I got home. Went to grab myself a drink to find both the inside of the fridge and the freezer disgustingly warm, and caught an awful whiff of food gone bad.

I immediately called property management about it and explained the situation. They said they would open a work order to have a repair guy come by and check it out. Which didn't happen until last Friday. So, that's two days gone right there.

Anyway, the guy came by to look it and determined the compressor was completely shot. Would've ordered a replacement part for it, only to find that the model number and other manufacturer's info had worn off the little plaque (it's an old fridge, at least 15-20 years old). I was told he would contact property management and let them know.

So, the weekend comes and goes (at that point, I'd been staying over at the gf's place for the better part of a week) and I don't hear anything back from them. I call them on Monday asking what's going on, and am told they're "looking into it".

I again call them yesterday for an update, and hear there's some "difficulty" with this, as they thought they had an extra fridge on hand, but turns out they don't. So, they have to procure another one. I'm told they should have it in my apartment by today. I ask them to call ahead to let me know when they're coming by with it, so I can be there when they arrive.

The better part of the day has come and gone now, and still no fridge. And, no call telling me when they're dropping by with it. So, again I call them.

This time, I'm told by the book keeper from property management that they have the new fridge, but they've run into the problem of finding someone to bring it over. He suggests I call the property manager, and gives me his cell number.

I call him, explaining the situation, to which he replies he actually only heard of this yesterday. I tell him I made the call last Wednesday and spoke to the book keeper about it. His response is, he's not saying I didn't, he just didn't hear of it until yesterday (which I think is a load of BS, as the book keeper told me earlier he'd been leaving notes daily on the manager's desk about it).

He further explains that they do now have the fridge on hand, and that it is supposed to be delivered today. He would give the driver a quick call to find out where they are.

Just as he's about to end the call, I ask him if it's possible for us to make some sort of arrangement for compensation on my end, since I have been without the use of a working fridge for over a week, and lost $100+ worth of food because of this (I just bought those groceries before this happened). Not only that, but since I have no food here I haven't been staying here all that time, which means I haven't had the proper use of/access to my apartment.

He says he'll talk to the book keeper about it, and for me to let him know what it is I want. I told him I'd give it some thought and get back to him on it.

The gf and I have already talked about this to some length, and the way we see it I should get a week's worth reduction in rent for the coming month, and reimbursement for all the food that went to waste in that cursed fridge.

Now, there are two ways I can about this: One, I can file a T6 application with the Ontario Landlord Tenant Board requesting compensation. The only hang-up with that is it can take up to six weeks to get a hearing to state my case. Or two, the property manager and I can discuss this amongst ourselves and resolve this without all the legalities.

I have, of course, already drafted a "Reimbursement Agreement" stating the situation, losses incurred, and our agreement they compensate me for time and losses. I'm going to discuss this again with the gf tonight at home (the house) and then call property management back tomorrow and see if we can't come to some sort of agreement. I've already got the document done up, which will have both our signatures on it, so as to cover myself legally-speaking.

Otherwise, if they want to be cheap b******s and be difficult about all this (which I get the feeling they may very well be), then I'll have no choice but to go the legal route through the LTB.

Anyway, the point of all this is that I'm pissed, as this situation should've been handled in a much more timely and efficient manner. I shouldn't have to put up with BS like this. I've got enough other things to deal with right now. I think I'm more than justified in being upset about this. The colourful words that have been coming out of my mouth would be enough to make even a sailor blush.

Sorry for the rant, folks (guess this wasn't so "quick"). I just felt the need to get this off my chest

P.S., I'm still waiting for the damn fridge to arrive. Talk about aggravating. Ugh.

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that... :(

I would go and talk with the property manager first, to see if you two can resolve this without any difficulties. This way, everything works out, you all can be on your personal ways. But if he decides to be a pain in the keyster, then file that T6 application.

Man, all this trouble and still no fridge. That sucks sour monkey @$$... Really hope you get this resolved bud.

Thanks, buddy.

I would prefer to resolve this between myself and property management without any legal involvement, but given past "issues" with them I get the sinking feeling I will have to file that bloody application. Which could then result in an up-to-six-week delay in getting this resolved to my satisfaction.

Once the fridge is delivered (maybe today, or maybe not; I'm definately keeping track of the days it's taken to get this resolved), I'll call property management afterward to discuss possible compensation.

Almost an hour after posting this thread, I'm still waiting on the new fridge, btw.

did you break a mirror? it seems like you have had bad luck this whole summer... Sorry to hear about the loss of all that tasty food, and i hope that they do the right thing and compensate you for your time, and food loss.

p.s. at least you got to spend more time at the GF's house... thats good, right?

DreadMullet said:
did you break a mirror? it seems like you have had bad luck this whole summer... Sorry to hear about the loss of all that tasty food, and i hope that they do the right thing and compensate you for your time, and food loss.

p.s. at least you got to spend more time at the GF's house... thats good, right?

Nope, didn't break a mirror to give me seven years' back luck or some such thing. But yeah... it does seem I've been having to deal with more than my fair share of that the last few months *sigh*.

I'm hoping they will do right by me, but to be perfectly honest (given previous interactions with them) I'm not holding my breath. Like the saying goes: hope for the best, expect the worst.

The worst being that I have to submit a formal application with the LTB for compensation, and then wait six weeks for a hearing.

And you are right about spending more time at the gf's place being a good thing. It's a very good thing. I just would've liked it to have been under better circumstances, though (simply wanting to be there, and not needing to be there).

Obviously, both the gf and I have been getting kinda stressed out about this. But, having her there with me has helped to make this all a little more manageable. She's been very supportive, and I really appreciate her for that.

We've gotten rather used to "living" together the last week, so it could be kinda difficult for us once I'm able to go back to the apartment, lol.

Oh, one other bit of good news. I finally heard back from one of the positions I applied for. Have a phone interview scheduled for tomorrow afternoon. Which is a good thing, as since I've spent all I had in savings I'm not sure how I'm going to make rent next month (don't have quite enough to cover it). So, hopefully that'll pan out and I'll have a job before month's end.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, those effing sons of...

I just called property management AGAIN to see where the fridge was at, and the property manager tells me it's not going to happen today.

So, what does that mean? I just wasted a whole goddamn day here, waiting... for nothing. It's a good thing I don't have a job right now, as I'd be looking at a whole day's worth of wages lost.

I asked him when they might be bringing it by tomorrow, and he said they'd try to do it first thing in the morning (around 9:00).

You know, I'm of half the mind right now to report them to the Better Business Bureau and have them investigated. This is beyond inconvenient, and makes me wonder if any other tenants that have dealt with this property management company have had similar issues.

In my opinion, this is not the way a professional business should conduct itself, not at all. It's a wonder I haven't heard of others filing complaints against them. It's a wonder they're still in business, even.

Well, that's it. I'm done. Going home to the gf to finally have some dinner, try and relax and just have a quiet evening.

Talk to y'all later...

it gun b k :p

I'm not really sure what to do.

I remember my friend having the same problem.

good luck!

Well you should!

This is very unprofessional attitude and the way they are handling the costumers is poorly. Personally i would call the guy runs the place (dont know if its that kind of company...) and explain the whole thing and demand a discount for the repair.

You are in your full right to ask for a compensation.

Thanks, guys.

As mentioned throughout this thread, it is my intention to discuss this with the property manager and demand a reduction (discount) for next month's rent. The gf and I feel a week's reduction in rent is fair (that's how long I've had to deal with this BS, and that's how long I've been without the proper use of/access to my apartment).

From what I was told yesterday, they should be delivering the new fridge early this morning at around 9:00 (about half an hour from now). We'll see what happens with that, though.

If he ends up being difficult with providing compensation for my troubles (they've been known to be cheap about other things pertaining to the apartment in the past), I'll then have to file that T6 application with the LTB for a hearing to state my case.

Hopefully, this can be resolved between myself and property management, and won't have to involve the Board.

I'll post another update here later today, regardless of what the outcome is (whether they bring the fridge by, or don't).

I don't mean to sound like a jerk or anything so don't take this the wrong way, but around here you would never get a reduction in rent for not living at your place unless they were renovating and you had to leave entirely during construction. Were you forced to vacate when this happened?

No offense taken, buddy ;)

To answer your question, no... I wasn't forced to vacate, but the fact of the matter is since I don't have a working fridge, I don't have anything to eat here.

And since I'm still in the middle of looking for a job (been living off of what I had in my savings account) I couldn't very well afford to eat out all the time during this. That'd be way too expensive, and not something I could've done given the circumstances.

As such, it wouldn't have made much sense to stay here and slowly starve to death. Hence why I've been staying over at the gf's place all throughout.

The way the Landlord Tenant Act is set up here in Canada, we have certain rights when it comes to our place of residence. One of those being having proper use of appliances provided on the premises if stipulated in the signed rental lease that the landlord/property management is responsible for them. Which, in this case, they are.

According to the Landlord Tenant Board, I have the legal right to request compensation/reimbursement for a situation such as this (they even suggested I ask for a reduction in rent). Therefore, I fully intend to make use of that.

You don't typically hear of this sort of thing as most tenants are not aware of what rights they have in accordance with the Landlord Tenant Act. I've been living on my own for long enough now that I've made sure to read up on the Act and know just what I can and can not do within that context.

I've made sure to reference the Landlord Tenant Act, and even called the LTB a couple times to verify some points, to ensure I'm doing this by the book.

Any way you look at it though, this really isn't a suitable or fair situation anyone should have to deal with.

P.S., I tried sending you a PM (just to chit-chat), but got a message saying you can't receive any messages?

sorry for your loss and stress do you happen to have a sledge hammer and a giant room full of ceramic pots

just to get some anger out :pwell anyways i would have just filed the complaint after the first encounter or have dragged his sorry @55 to your house and showed him the situation and give hi8m a little medicine of his own but then in legal term your have been stuffed so in your case i would just talk to him make some sence then make a contract then if it dont happen ....... file the t6 application and "PWN" him

LMAO! :lol

No, I don't have a sledgehammer, nor a room full of ceramic pots to vent my frustrations on. Thanks for the suggestion though, lol.

If I have to, I'll file that application with the LTB, but personally I'd like myself and property management to be able to come to a civil, mutual agreement on this.

I have already drafted a very official and legal-sounding "Reimbursement Agreement" for us both to sign if we're able to go that route (fingers crossed).

I'm trying to give them the benefit of the doubt, and hope they'll do the right thing.

The book keeper for property management (he's the one I've mainly been talking when I call the office number) understands the weight of the situation. It's just the manager who's been dragging his heels with this.

Not a very professional attitude to be showing his customers/tenants, if you ask me.

Once again, I'm still waiting for the fridge to arrive, and it's been more than two hours after when the property manager said they'd be bringing it by. Big surprise.

wow thats sucks

if you and the property management do come to an agreement about a reduction

theyy end up forgetting to put it on next month and tell you theyy put it on the next(and the cycle will continue)

be prepared they might hire ninjas to "get rid" of you so it dosent legal

or mabey it'll work out fine

i vote for the third option

(this is a major FLM)

IzBisch said:
wow thats sucks

if you and the property management do come to an agreement about a reduction

theyy end up forgetting to put it on next month and tell you theyy put it on the next(and the cycle will continue)

be prepared they might hire ninjas to "get rid" of you so it dosent legal

or mabey it'll work out fine

i vote for the third option

(this is a major FLM)

Actually, with the document I've drafted -- which would have both my and the property manager's signature on it, making it legally binding -- they wouldn't be able to pull a stunt like that.

Not only would it be signed by both of us, but also dated, and in the text of the document it clearly states that the rent reduction will be applied to September's payment. If he signs off on it, then he's agreeing to those terms.

So, if they tried doing that, they could wind up in court over this. And, somehow I think they wouldn't want it to go that far. Don't worry, I've thought this out very well, and have all the bases covered for this.

Well that Landlord Tenant Act sounds pretty darn useful. I wish there had been something like that when I was going through college. I probably would have stayed in anyone one place for half of what it actually cost if I could of filed something like that against my landlords. Nothing ever worked right or stayed working.

Let's just say when I left the one place, I took all MY light bulbs with me. That wasn't even the worst of it in some places.

Hope this all works out for you.

IzBisch said:
sounds like you got that document airtight

Yep, sure do :) And, of course, there will be two copies signed; one for them, and one for me. That way, they can't simply destroy their copy of it and say no such agreement was ever made, as I too will have my own copy and can hold them to it. So, I've got it all figured out ;) heh

23Magnum said:
Well that Landlord Tenant Act sounds pretty darn useful. I wish there had been something like when I was going through college. I probably would have stayed in anyone one place for half of what it actually cost if I could of filed something like that against my landlords. Nothing ever worked right or stayed working.

Let's just say when I left the one place, I took all MY light bulbs with me. That wasn't even the worst of it in some places.

Hope this all works out for you.

Lightbulbs are also one of the issues here with them. It's been I don't know how many months since the patio light burnt out, and they still haven't replaced it. Both myself and the previous tenants in the unit next to me (that apartment's now vacant) have called them up numerous times about it, and yet nothing's been done.

The way my entrance is situated, you go up a narrow, rickety staircase on the side of the house and up onto an even more rickety porch (clearly, when they renovated this single-family home into apartments they didn't do a good job on the reconstruction). I've been living here for almost a year so I've gotten used to how to navigate those stairs, but for anyone not familiar with the place it could prove a real safety hazard not having any light up there at night.

I don't know how many times the gf's almost tripped up the stairs because she can't see a damn thing. Understandably, the idea of her getting hurt doesn't sit well with me.

But, despite mine and others' best efforts, they still haven't bothered to replace it. I'd do it myself (though I shouldn't have to), but it's not accessible to me in order to replace the bulb. I get the impression property management doesn't really give a damn about any of this, so long as they continue to get their tenants' rent cheques on the first of each month.

So, as you can tell, there have been other issues I've had with them regarding the property, but this whole fridge fiasco definately takes the cake.

And thanks, buddy :cool

P.S., Can you believe I'm still waiting for them, after more than three hours since they were supposed to be here? And CONVENIENTLY, I can't get a hold of them at the office number, or the manager on his cell. Figures.

OMFG... I wanna rip these guys a new one :angry

So, the fridge finally arrived a little less than an hour ago, but not before I had to give them another call at around 1:00. Spoke to the book keeper asking for an update on where the fridge was. He said it was being delivered and so should arrive soon. I thanked him for the info, and then got to the topic of compensation/reimbursement for this inconvenience.

His immediate reply was "Yeah, so do you want us to send you a cheque for $50.00?" (as a sort of "incovenience" fee) :unsure

I interjected and told him I was actually thinking something a little more, like a week's worth reduction in rent for the coming month. He said that would most likely not be possible, as although I had been without a fridge for the last week, it's not like I had a hole in my ceiling and so was unable to live there.

My response to that was "Actually, yeah... since I had NO working fridge all this time and NO food here to eat, I wasn't able to stay here. Otherwise I would've been sitting here, slowly starving to death. That being the case, I've had to stay over at my gf's place just so I can eat."

You know what? He couldn't come back at me with a response to that. Guess he had one of those awkwardly quiet "Um, yeah. I guess he has a point there" moments.

He even admitted to the loss of food on my part, and that this whole situation was an inconvenience to me, but again reiterated that they probably wouldn't be able to discount my rent for the time frame and amount I asked for. It was then that I mentioned involving the LTB -- I pretty much said "I'd really not want to have to take this to the Board" -- which he then jumped on with the curt reply "Oh, I don't think so. I seriously doubt they'd support that."

This, of course, is after all my referencing of the Act and calling them (the LTB) at least twice for clarification. So, I know I'm well within my rights to do so, and these schmucks can't say boo about it.

Anyway, he ended the call saying he and the property manager would talk about it and let me know what was "acceptable". As soon as I got off the phone, all manner of profanities sprang from my mouth. I was waaay beyond pissed, more so than I was yesterday even. And believe me when I say I WAS pissed then, too.

So, it would appear as though I will have to go ahead and file that T6 application after all. I was trying to be the better person in this in resolving this matter civil-like with them, without any major legal involvement. But hey, "an eye for an eye" as they say.

The way I see it, they brought this on themselves for handling the whole thing in such a piss-poor fashion (not professional at all), and I am not the type of person that will allow themself to be taken advantage of. I have a very rigid backbone, and I know how to use it.

Which suits me just fine at this point, as if they're going to be such cheap b******s about the whole thing, it's what they deserve. They want to be jerks, then so can I in taking this to the next legal step.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back