Operator Helm for Digital Camo suit

Status
Not open for further replies.

DocDailey

Well 405th,

As I'm a Doc, I need a Doc type helm. I think the Operator helm is the best suited for this.

I've noticed that I can't seem to find any finished threads of this helm either.....For shame! I gotta do the whole build with no lessons learned from you guys....But I'm not mad and don't worry, I'll share my lessons with you all :)

I've made 2 so far....

1st just barely squished my ears, which allowed no room for padding or hardening. Height was 250mm.

2nd try was 318mm in height because I added 1inch on each side for width....That helm belongs to a friggin hoarse's head.

3rd try is at 282mm in height allowing only .5inches wider than the 1st try....(Pics to come)

539221_10151121054549894_978983042_n.jpg

559354_10151121054724894_1150833004_n.jpg

599499_10151121054614894_641949076_n.jpg

The reason this helm is such a pain is because the head whole doesn't match that of the head that belongs in the friggin helm. I need to design this helm in 2 parts to get my head into it.

Wish me luck!!

Thanks Seth! You totally came through for me :)

I have the file, but need some "lessons learned" for sizing at the moment.

I don't mind making it out of pep, but it's just not as fast or as easy :)

I feel you on the helmet sizing. I got lucky and only needed to re-build the helmet once. Keep up the good work though, the pep you've done so far looks pretty clean!

Thanks Seth! You totally came through for me :)

I have the file, but need some "lessons learned" for sizing at the moment.

I don't mind making it out of pep, but it's just not as fast or as easy :)

Anything I can do to help a fellow costumer I'm more than happy to do.

Seth

I don't know if you've follow this Thread guide for scaling, but here it is: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/31627-HaloGoddess-quot-How-To-Scale-quot-and-More-Tutorial

Thanks for the thread! I had read it a WHILE ago, but I appreciate the refresher. The 1st helm was measured useing this method, which is why I'm "errrrgh" at the moment. Can't thank you enough for the help.

Guys, it "looks" like I might have a winner with the 3rd helm. I'll post pics tomorrow after the pep is done today.

The size is 282mm in height. The whole for the head is too small, but I plan on making this helm a 2 pieces system to lock around my head. Making this helm so you can slide your head in looks goofy. Other people here on the 405th don't agree, but I can get technical and let my inner alpha geek flag fly, but I'll just let it go and do what I'm going to do anyways without the increased aggrivation.

I will be casting this helm and attatchment separate so that way I can make a few, paint them for other suits I'll be doing, and do up electronics(ie. light up the goggles, and install side fans).

The resin is hardening atm, so I won't post anymore till I've finished bondoing and sanding the hell out of it.

Thanks all, and later :)

here is the file: http://www.4shared.com/file/P4XeWsrs/Mk_V_Operator_Final.html
(it's not the one I used, but it's the exact same thing, just unfolded differently by PaigeMaster)

That's astounding work. It'll look great on you, without a doubt, and I look forwards to seeing how the digital pattern turns out on it.

UPDATE:

Ok so all resined up and fiberglassed with rondo layer. The damn thing weighs about 8lbs, but it'll hold up the the mold making process I have in store for it :)

P1030701.jpg

P1030702.jpg

P1030703.jpg

Hey doc, out of sheer noob-ism, you resin-ed the helm, then added a black coat to it. How did helm turn white like that? Sander/sandpaper + sanding? Or is that the rondo?

Hey doc, out of sheer noob-ism, you resin-ed the helm, then added a black coat to it. How did helm turn white like that? Sander/sandpaper + sanding? Or is that the rondo?
The white on the goggles is resin and paper, no bondo. I used spot puddy to even out and smooth the surface without having to go nuts with bondo. The helmet needed actual building up and so bondo is the white you see after I smoothed the hell out of it. I use a mouse sander with 80grit sandpaper for that part ONLY. Then I move onto 120grit for the little part to smooth out the resin layer and remove seams left over from the pep.

The reason I prime them before I sand is because it allows me to see what parts actually NEED help, smoothing, building, or left alone. The gloss really highlights problem areas and allows you to focus. Besides, when you get done sanding, if it's still glossy, then you need to fix it. It makes it WAY easier and makes it less likely to have a part of the piece look like **** after you're done.

Thanks for asking.

Mstruvmgc, Thanks bud :)

Oh and yes the lenses look a little messed up, but I'll be doing LEDS.....so they aren't going to be used in the final product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back