Orbital Drop Shock Trooper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah.. I kinda agree that my helmet looks like crap, but I'm hoping that once i resin it on the outside, and resin+fiberglass the inside, the bondo on the outside will smooth out every edge that looks ugly

Oh god don't use crazy glue that stuff blows...try using white glue. Like Almers or LePage they are both made for wood or paper. I use LePage and a tooth pick when I build, the tooth pick helps get in those tight areas and use small amounts of glue. Also to make it easier I put a little glue on a zip lock bag so I just have to dip the tooth pick, no messing with the bottle till I need more.

Like the others said take your time, make sure everything lines up then start gluing. It's not a race, it's a hobby.

All my work is with super glue, so it can be done. BUT, unlike hot glue or elmers once you press the pieces together there is no going back. Just remember to take your time. Another tip is to start at the crown of the helmet and work down. I found it's a lot easier to control when you're always on the edge. Don't rush, it took me a couple of weeks to finish my helmet, and you'll progressively get better and faster when you take your time.

As for glue I've heard everything from hot glue, super glue, Elmer's glue, wood cement, etc. Find something that works well for you and that you like working with.

I'm with demo on this one. I've tried hot glue and white glue before, but I like super glue the best. Stuff I use is a gel-type glue. It's awesome. It says in place and I don't have to use more than a pin head on each tab.

Don't say your helmet looks like crap. It looks like a first try, not crap. We have all been there, bud. Keep your head up.

Well.. the helmet is not finished and I won't - I'll start a new one. The one I'm currently building is way too small and my head doesn't even fit inside... so I'll do a new one that will be 355.6mm, which is 14 inches (from the top of my head to the chin it measures 12 inches, plus maybe one or two inches of padding inside) Now... Wish me luck on this new one

Just remember when you get it built you might not be able to fit it over your head, and will probably have to trim it some to get your head in when fiber glassed. This is normal, also a tip for when your done, if you go to your local auto supply store they have this rubber trim that goes on the edge of your car door so you don't scratch the car beside you when you open your door. This stuff is great for around the edge of the helm when your done so it does not rub your neck and scratch or cut you.

yup, apparently it's 14 inches.. it' a bit too much, i might go with 330.2, which is 13 inches. yeah, my head is kinda big

when rescaling the helmet, did you guys rearrange the pieces so they sit tightly on the papers or did you just printed it like that and joined the pieces like some sort of puzzle? right now i'm rearranging the pieces but it's a PITA

355 mm height?! That's huge! For me, I went with 310 and it was perfect.

I think you might be right... the helmet pieces look HUGE. But, Just for fun and since I've got nothing else to do I'll try to build it completely and once I'm done, I'll print out one that's 310mm and see which one's the best...

Wish me good luck and PATIENCE :)

when rescaling the helmet, did you guys rearrange the pieces so they sit tightly on the papers or did you just printed it like that and joined the pieces like some sort of puzzle? right now i'm rearranging the pieces but it's a PITA

You must, must, must rearrange the pieces. You can't just connect them afterwards. Well, you can, but that's a bigger pain than rearranging them. If all you're doing is rescaling, it shouldn't take that long, and remember that you can move multiple pieces at the same time.

I'd say try using kirrou's rookie helmet. I've got a huge dome ( 7 5/8" hat size), and that's snug. I didn't scale Kirrou's helmet and it looks nice with just enough room for padding. he also has a test helmet that is the same size; a lot less detailed; and a good practice piece. I'd suggest going that route if the model you're using now is giving you trouble.

update

541673_10200208654921994_313390565_n.jpg

227703_10200208655041997_796964032_n.jpg

298909_10200208655602011_888135557_n.jpg

312410_10200208654881993_636364896_n.jpg

Lookin good, don't worry about the little details you can fix those with bondo later. I did notice (and I hate to point it out) but you have the ear peaces on the wrong sides, that little detail should point toward the back of the helm.

old helmet vs the new one... the new one is ENORMOUS and I don't want to build it all over again.... i think i'll go with something much more simpler and less detailed. i spent like, an entire day building the left one and another day building the right one just to turn out that they'll look wrong on me. the smalll one won't fit (obviously) and the left one is obliviously gigantic... help me 405th, you're my only hope :(

252032_10200209993355454_1169545443_n.jpg

Pep work isn't fun. You'll just have to deal with it. My reccomend action is get Kirrou's HD file and scale the height to maybe 315 if you've a large head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back