Paint advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

PapaSola

So I’m a bit Un-experienced with painting cosplays, I bought a pre-made helmet off of Etsy and now I’m 3D printing the armor, however the filament I’m using is sky blue and after painting the armor the blue still shows after some sanding, however I kinda like the blue, so my question is, how would I get the helmet to match the look of the rest of the armor? (reference picture)

Attachments

• 59830194-6FAC-4EBF-BFEA-FF0EF4C79D65.jpeg
    59830194-6FAC-4EBF-BFEA-FF0EF4C79D65.jpeg
    597.1 KB · Views: 117
I think your best bet would be to layer paint and then remove some of the top layer with sanding, or masking it off before applying the top coat.

I've used liquid latex to produce battle damage / weathering with paint layering before. No reason why that wouldn't work for this too.

This is kinda Related, i have a general painting question when it comes to 3d prints, do i need to prime it or coat it with anything before i start painting or can i just take it sand it down and start painting?

This is kinda Related, i have a general painting question when it comes to 3d prints, do i need to prime it or coat it with anything before i start painting or can i just take it sand it down and start painting?
Once you've got it sanded to how you like it, you'll want to clean off any dust first - such as with isopropyl alcohol and a paper towell, or even rinsing it with water as best as possible then wiping it with a paper towell when dry. After that, you apply a primer layer that both acts as a base colour, and helps paint adhere. Then you can put your paint on top of that.

Once you've got it sanded to how you like it, you'll want to clean off any dust first - such as with isopropyl alcohol and a paper towell, or even rinsing it with water as best as possible then wiping it with a paper towell when dry. After that, you apply a primer layer that both acts as a base colour, and helps paint adhere. Then you can put your paint on top of that.
Thanks this helps alot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back