Paint is Sticky?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Rabbit

Hey 405th!

I just have a question regarding spray paint being sticky. I have been working on a foam build that was covered in 2 layers of Plasti-dip and the base coat was Rustoleum metallic spray paint. Everything was given plenty of time to dry and I noticed that when I pick up a painted piece it is slightly sticky? I left my helmet for two days because of the sticky feeling to see if it needed more time to dry, but it feels the same :(

Am I missing something here? Do you guys clear coat your armor? If so with what? Any other sugesstions?

The weather here is warm but shoukd not be warm enough to cause problems that I'm aware of.

Thanks,

Rabbit

yeah that rustoleum will do that. its done that and I tried to sand it down and it didn't work it was just sticky like your's

Awesome. Might have to do a clear coat in another brand and hope it helps then. Thanks for the quick response Foxleader! I have less then two weeks to finish this suit and I don't want to stick to everything!

i use rustoleum and its sticky, i think the cause is the temperature you paint in, i paint in warm shady areas and when it dries its sticky, but usually when i expose it to heat (sunlight or heat gun) the stickiness starts to go away

-Ian

I typically use Krylon brand spray paints for any of my projects. Iit dries quickly and has a hard finish to it, never had any issues with it being sticky after a reasonable amount of time.

FYI, it's always a good idea to apply a protective clear coat on anything you build as it will help make the prop or armour piece more durable than just with a layer of paint.

I prefer to use a matte (flat) clear coat rather than semi-glossy or glossy, as I simply don't like the overly shiny look on my props.

That, and I find fingerprints can sometimes be left in a glossy clear coat even after it's dried. Rather annoying after putting so much effort into finishing a piece.

Foxleader - My guns to big to stick to my thigh! Lol

Ian - Good to know that the stickiness goes away to a point! Its annoying when you stick to stuff.

Spartan II - I was wondering about finishing it. Thanks for confirming my suspicions. I'm probably going to grab some Krylon clear coat. Im glad you mentioned the finger prints! That would have drove me insane, especially with the amount of work that goes into these things!

Thanks for the helping a girl out guys!

-Rabbit

yeah now just watch out for us foxes we like to eat up you little rabbits, like "two midgets digging into a fat guys rib cage..."- claptrap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back