1. 581-Erudite Watch
    Greetings Guest! I am the NEW guide of the 405th Infantry Division. I am 581. Surely, you are asking yourself, who is this fascinating entity and what is he about? Fear not! The staff of this great community has cleverly created a comic to share my backstory with you. Click HERE to learn more!

Dismiss Notice

* Painted: Halo Reach MKVI Variant *

Discussion in 'Halo Costumes and Armor' started by DefineLuck, Nov 9, 2017.

1. DefineLuck

DefineLuck New Member

Hello! Just wanted to show off a finished paint job on a helmet I did for a sick friend who is currently battling cancer. Reach is his favorite halo in the series so that’s what inspired this look! The helmet is a raw cast from Justin Branhfur and has been one of my favorite to paint up. I’m aware everyone has their own painting style and technique but I’ll tend to mimic the realistic look of battle armor as seen in the “ deliver hope” commercial..So Without further adieu...

864B249F-3037-44A1-A476-74A3C16B58D0.jpeg

F1631911-89E8-4D3F-BC39-8E543A759D5F.jpeg

7DCDE761-B40D-4127-871E-8B208C214AE9.jpeg

84F7BCF2-874C-4E60-BFEE-9D2FF4E1C39D.jpeg

007D29A5-CF51-482F-AA1F-4498D1503C1A.jpeg

C8D2131B-9172-4EE5-8BC3-43052B1D7D54.jpeg

2. JD of Asgard

JD of Asgard

that's a lovely paint job. It looks so worn and real.

3. DefineLuck

DefineLuck New Member

Thank you sir!!!

4. Dirtdives

Dirtdives

DefineLuck, great job on the bucket man!!! And an even bigger kudos to you for doing it for your friend. My best wishes and hopes for a speedy recovery to him.

SI3RRA 117 and DefineLuck like this.
  5. Lowcone494

Lowcone494

That looks amazing! I wish them the best as well!

SI3RRA 117 and DefineLuck like this.
  6. DefineLuck

DefineLuck New Member

7. SquishyShoes

SquishyShoes

Just gonna bump this a little so others can see this beautiful paintjob.

8. PerniciousDuke

PerniciousDuke RXO 405th Regiment Officer

I'm glad you did bump this, it's wonderful to behold! Wish I could learn how to do the chipped decals like the yellow on the back of the helmet. Maybe just painter's tape and vasaline?

mblackwell1002 likes this.
  9. SquishyShoes

SquishyShoes

Could? You definitely can mate. You're pretty much 100% on it. Vaseline would work for those spots, most people use mustard. Just ordinary table mustard (the paste though, not a runny sauce...). I've also seen toothpaste used, but it depends how minty fresh you want your battle damage.
    Lately, I've been on a huge Punished Props Youtube binge. I thought he had a video on exactly this technique, but I can't be bothered spending more than five minutes to find it sorry.
    Nevermind, here's a video on that and some other popular weathering and painting techniques.

I recommend checking his channel out, and possibly buying his books (I've got the digital versions), and also Kamui Cosplay (She does a lot more books too). I find their videos (while sometimes dorky) are really relaxing to watch/listen too.

After reading through your thread, I see you don't really need me telling you any of this, you already know how to weather. But Imma leave it here anyway.

10. mblackwell1002

mblackwell1002

In order to do chipped paint, I've found the easiest way is to buy some liquid latex. Mustard and Toothpaste work fine, but latex is easy to apply, easy to remove and it doesn't leave any discolored paint or mustard/toothpaste residue.

You have a lot more freedom with liquid latex, especially if you let it dry out a tad and thicken up.