Painting and priming

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTRecon

I’m wondering what to use for paint and primer for Master chiefs armour.

First build. Will post updates as I go.

For the priming or "rubber coating" rustoleum leak seal is amazing. It's way more stronger than plasti-dip and does not wrinkle under extreme stress like plasti-dip does. Plasti-dip is a good runner up and and you see a lot of people use it, I've used it as well, but the Leak seal in my torture testing has proven to be much stronger and more durable.

How well does this work on cardboard? Also which colour of paint do you use. (Complete and utter newbie here)

For the priming or "rubber coating" rustoleum leak seal is amazing. It's way more stronger than plasti-dip and does not wrinkle under extreme stress like plasti-dip does. Plasti-dip is a good runner up and and you see a lot of people use it, I've used it as well, but the Leak seal in my torture testing has proven to be much stronger and more durable.
what is the secret to getting a smooth finish on the leak seal?

Sprays on smoother than plasti-dip. Just have to be careful, you get a lot more spray and pressure with Leak seal than plasti-dip. Keep your distance and lay even coats. I get beautiful finishes with Leak Seal.
20190205_193139.jpg

Get a bucket of lukewarm water that'll cover half of the can, shake the can for the recommended time, let it sit for five to ten minutes in the water and then shake the daylights out of it again to get a good mix inside. Nice light coats and aim for three coats roughly. Rustoleum Leak Seal is sandable once fully cured so if you do get a orange peel texture, sand it down lightly and recoat.

mine came out and was spraying large globs at arms distance. ill let that try then sand some of it and try another coat using the warm water trick when i get a day its not trying to rain

mine came out and was spraying large globs at arms distance. ill let that try then sand some of it and try another coat using the warm water trick when i get a day its not trying to rain
Yeah make sure the nozzle is clean and flow is good. Also first time working with it can make "scary" you think it's globbig on but it tightens up as it dries. Also TurboCharizard brings up a good point. Warming it up will help it all mix up inside. Shake the day lights out of it to, more than regular spray paint honeslty. Also sanding it works well too

I'm going to give it 24 hours and see how much it tightens up by tomorrow and then probably have to sand it a good bit
Attach a close up pic of what you are talking about if you can, I'm curious. I have not had that issue before unless my nozzle tip had build up on it. It usually tightens up in the first hour or so. Not sure how much of a change you will see in 24 hr. Definitely wait 24hr before sanding though so that it's at full strength and be carefuel sanding, its stI'll thin rubber so there is such thing as to much sanding. Also what are your ambient conditions like? If it's to cold, then that could be a problem. I had a nice 70 degree warm day here on the east coast so I took advantage and sprayed a bunch of spare armor pieces yesterday with Leak Seal for a second suit. All my pieces came out super smooth. There is a very slight textured surface to the finish like TurboCharizard mentioned but once you prime it and paint it, it's super smooth almost like a car. Not quite but almost. Any minor texture still left over I like, because in the games the suits have a textured surface so to speak most of the time. I personally don't want my armor to have a Shiney smooth car body surface. I think if you sand it and get another couple of even coats sprayed you should be good.

Attach a close up pic of what you are talking about if you can, I'm curious. I have not had that issue before unless my nozzle tip had build up on it. It usually tightens up in the first hour or so. Not sure how much of a change you will see in 24 hr. Definitely wait 24hr before sanding though so that it's at full strength and be carefuel sanding, its stI'll thin rubber so there is such thing as to much sanding. Also what are your ambient conditions like? If it's to cold, then that could be a problem. I had a nice 70 degree warm day here on the east coast so I took advantage and sprayed a bunch of spare armor pieces yesterday with Leak Seal for a second suit. All my pieces came out super smooth. There is a very slight textured surface to the finish like TurboCharizard mentioned but once you prime it and paint it, it's super smooth almost like a car. Not quite but almost. Any minor texture still left over I like, because in the games the suits have a textured surface so to speak most of the time. I personally don't want my armor to have a Shiney smooth car body surface. I think if you sand it and get another couple of even coats sprayed you should be good.
Here are some pics to give you an idea

Attachments

• 20190206_164704.jpg
    20190206_164704.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 168
  • 20190206_164642.jpg
    20190206_164642.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 153
  • 20190206_164700.jpg
    20190206_164700.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 144
  • 20190206_164650.jpg
    20190206_164650.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 152
  • 20190206_164633.jpg
    20190206_164633.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 171
  • 20190206_164639.jpg
    20190206_164639.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 157
  • 20190206_164654.jpg
    20190206_164654.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 145
Here are some pics to give you an idea
Yeah man that's bad.. mine are always pristine perfect smooth. What is you ambient temperature? If it's to cold I could see that happening or if the can was to cold say from being stored in a shed. Also, build your coats up lightly and even. Leak Seal comes out with a ton of pressure. I dust it on at far distance and do about 3-4 coats totally. plasti-dip you can get away with going heavy the first coat, Leak seal is the opposite. But I promise, once you get it down, leak seal is waaaay stronger than plasti-dip and does not wrinkle at all.

Temp has been around 65 but I am holding the can as far away as both arms can reach lol
Interesting. I've never had that chunking texture issue like that before. Only time I briefly ever saw that was when my nozzle was dirty causing uneven flow, but I quickly wiped off before damage was done and cleand the nozzle. Well I don't think your piece is ruined, definitely have your work cut out for you, but not ruined. I'd break out sanding blocks and work at it till the bumps are gone. Then give it another coat. Also do a test run on a scrap piece of foam too. My first coat with leak seal I can still vaguely see the foam through it still. Then about 30 minute later I give it another pass, them repeat for 3-4 coats total. Good luck, let us know how it goes. Maybe get a new can also and just trash that one

I think part of the problem may be the cans I have were purchased from a bargain outlet and are completely in spanish.
Oh boy... yeah I would toss those. Hard to say whats in those cans. Haha Make sure to get true Rustoleum brand leak seal. I've always been a big fan of Rustoleum products, been using them for many years now. Always great quality product

I think part of the problem may be the cans I have were purchased from a bargain outlet and are completely in spanish.

I believe this is what happened to me when I bought a case of plasti-dip (6 cans). Everyone talked so highly of it, I just pulled the trigger on a case. Never could get it as smooth as everyone's pics suggested, but it was used on some props for my wife's Mardi Gras float crew and not something I was making for myself. Still have an unused can sitting on the shelf and am hesitant to even use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back