Props Painting Prop Weapons

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoamAndFoundry

I'm not sure if this is the right category for it, but I figured I'd share the setup I use for painting prop long guns here. It's more or less just a 2x4 frame, a nail in the bottom board, and a masonry screw in the top. Inspired by certain types of lathe fixtures, the top screw can loosen and tighten, and the barrel slides over the nail in the bottom board. This allows for almost 360 degree access for spray painting, with only two small points covered that need retouching once the rest has dried. It's much easier and cleaner than trying to hold it, or set it down on a flat surface somewhere and painting only one side at a time! It can probably be adapted to work for smaller props as well, but I haven't tried building a smaller one yet.

Attachments

• IMG_1495.JPG
    IMG_1495.JPG
    172.3 KB · Views: 154
This is a great contraption. Can the weapon rotate while in place or do you have to move yourself around to get to all parts? If not, perhaps a small turn table at the base?

This is a great contraption. Can the weapon rotate while in place or do you have to move yourself around to get to all parts? If not, perhaps a small turn table at the base?
It doesn't rotate at the moment, but there might be a way to incorporate a turntable with a bit of design tweaking! The only concerns would be accidentally driving the top screw into the stock further, and the fact that the bottom nail is slightly offset from the top screw to account for the fact that the point on the stock of the BR85 that would normally be in line with the bore has that odd curved part at the top (not the greatest foresight on my part, I'll admit).

Me likey! You could also add some removable racks to it to hold smaller pieces. Might look into making something like this next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back