paints and more paints and that primer stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilooooovely

so I will be nearing the end of my resin work (and I know so many questions right)
Going to move on to the filler work and wanted to start buying paints.

however here is where im a bit lost.

body filler should be covered with a automotive primer for best results (im guessing)
now I want to paint with acrylic paints (for small detail acrylic craft paint type stuff)
now the primer will need to be acrylic based to be able to use the craft paint correct?
also the top coat?

I have only dealt with enamel paints, but I honestly don't want to get into that with what im doing.

so my plan is to use dupli color spray cans (lacquer not enamel) for primer and large color and folk art acrylic paints with a small brush for small detail then a clear coat on top

is this right? or am I way off

thanks for the help loves! ( again, and again =) )

body filler should be covered with a automotive primer for best results (im guessing)

Yep. A filler-based primer might work the best to fill in any other small imperfections you've missed, followed by a pass with high-grade wet-and-dry sandpaper (>400 grit is essential for a smooth finish). Grey filler-primer is best, since it's a neutral colour and will help bring out the best in your subsequent coats.

now the primer will need to be acrylic based to be able to use the craft paint correct?

You should be fine as long as you're not trying to mix oil-based paints with water-based paints.

also the top coat?

You shouldn't need one, but if you're certain of what you're doing, a final clear coat will help seal everything down.

so my plan is to use dupli color spray cans (lacquer not enamel) for primer and large color and folk art acrylic paints with a small brush for small detail then a clear coat on top

This can work, sure, but I'd honestly suggest simply priming your work with a grey undercoat, then using spray paint to achieve your finish with masking tape to mask off any designs you want to achieve.

Yep. A filler-based primer might work the best to fill in any other small imperfections you've missed, followed by a pass with high-grade wet-and-dry sandpaper (>400 grit is essential for a smooth finish). Grey filler-primer is best, since it's a neutral colour and will help bring out the best in your subsequent coats.

You should be fine as long as you're not trying to mix oil-based paints with water-based paints.

You shouldn't need one, but if you're certain of what you're doing, a final clear coat will help seal everything down.

This can work, sure, but I'd honestly suggest simply priming your work with a grey undercoat, then using spray paint to achieve your finish with masking tape to mask off any designs you want to achieve.

thank you!

now I do have another question maybe you could help me with. once I get done with the body filler. would I be able to make a two part mold from it at that point? it is not a helmet or armor piece its a weapon and close off so im guessing two part would be ideal for this (sorry for so many question im new to all of this is videos only help so much I like peoples in put on things like this)

now I do have another question maybe you could help me with. once I get done with the body filler. would I be able to make a two part mold from it at that point? it is not a helmet or armor piece its a weapon and close off so im guessing two part would be ideal for this (sorry for so many question im new to all of this is videos only help so much I like peoples in put on things like this)

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to. As long as you've sealed your product properly and prepared the surface so it's nice and clean, you'll be able to make a mould out of it. I can't really make any suggestions for mould-making, since that's beyond my level of expertise, though there are tutorials to help you along - but, to answer your question:

Yes, you'll be able to make a mould from your work once you've primed it.

so I will be nearing the end of my resin work (and I know so many questions right)
Going to move on to the filler work and wanted to start buying paints.

Probably only need one thread for all of these questions- around here things tend to be done on a per-project basis rather than per-problem basis.

now I want to paint with acrylic paints (for small detail acrylic craft paint type stuff)
also the top coat?

You should lay an auto primer down all over, not just on the filler. Maybe "high build" filler primer as well, depends if you have surface texture to hide. Once that's wet sanded to 400 grit, you have options.

The nice thing about acrylic is it'll go over basically anything at any time, it's the least reactive paint since it's water-based and not solvent-based. I wouldn't worry about the formulation of the primer for that. Over the top, a standard acrylic enamel clear coat should work just fine.

is this right? or am I way off

Lacquer is the most finicky and expensive of all the paints, the price you pay for its speed and durability. It won't go over anything except other lacquer, so if you were planning on going lacquer primer-acrylics-lacquer clearcoat, that's likely not gonna happen. You could do a lacquer base coat and block colours, then switch to other paint types for the detail and clear coats, which should be fine. Personally if the whole project wasn't going to be lacquers, I'd probably just stick with the enamels and acrylics and work a heat gun to keep the time down.

Prime, sand a ton (wet sand to at least 400 grit, maybe more like 1000-2000 depending on the surface finish you want), and you should be good to go for mouldmaking. Can't really judge what type of mould or if it's actually fully ready to mould without seeing the actual object itself, but in the abstract it should be mouldable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back