Paper mache yes or no? hells yes! For the perfect budget armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbthurber

Ok guys i know foam armor and fiberglass resin are the hot things on this forum but i made a paper mache mix and after just painting 1 layer on my spartan helmet has become 3 times as sturdy. plan on continuing to paint it on and no im not using news paper just the mix itself seems to be more than enough to harden the helmet. if your a noob and just starting out with armor i definatly recomend paper mache for your 1st suit. it literally cost me nothing to make just 2 cups of water and flour and a little salt.

I'm unable to afford resin right now so i'll be making a paper mache armor i'd love to help with this thread if you'd take my help

feel free to post openly friend. once my camera starts to work again ill show my progress pics. alrdy on the second layer and this thing is hard as a rock

no problem man. just make sure to support the armor with somthing during the process. didnt have any support on my tester helm and it warped so i made a fake head to stuff my current one with while i do the oustide

lol I can imagine me frantically trying to piece together a mock head to support a helm, I would probably end up ruining it xD

Update: left it out to dry the secondlayer in the sun....little did i know how thickly i put it on and even with the fake head i wipped up the backside was wrarped beyond salvage....kinda looked like an abstract penis if you squinted. so yea no photos of my shame but if my camera will decide to work again i took many photos of the cutting and glueing process that i will upload once my camera starts to work again. take 2 will begin as soon as a whip up another helm

for your sake apply it in thing layers and plz have a good fake head that will support it other wise it will warp. but yes with proper support and thin layers at a time it works good

Quite resourceful. I always thought paper mache had potential as a serious building material for the budget builder, can't wait to see what you can do. I've been thinking of testing the limits of paper mache pulp for an original costume concept I had. I'm glad others see it's usefulness as well!

Yea we will see what i can counjer together if i ever get to it. about half way done putting together the next helmet. going to do a couple things differently this time around. i just dont have any willpoer left in me atm

I'm trying reinforcing the pieces before paper macheing them
441.html

442.html

My girlfriend is making a marine armor with paper mache, but she use layers of paper not a mix of paper and glue, maybe making some layers with the first method prepares the pep for a layer of mixed paper and glue...
must try this...when i'll have some free time i will try a low cost helmet based on this method...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back