Pen bleeding through top coat

Status
Not open for further replies.

he4thbar

Sr Member
Member DIN
S434
Please help.. I put pen on my foam so that I could create a camo pattern for thighs and forearms. And I did a bunch of layers to cover the pen fully.
Once I did my details i did a top coat of rustoleum enamel matte.
Sadly the pen bled fully through :( I could really use some help or suggestions on how to fix this.
IMG_20190915_203433.jpg

My idea is that if I just do another few coats of paint on them and then do another clear coat it should solve the problem correct? Since the pen is under the first clear coat

Last edited:
Talked to some people on the Facebook group, it seems that the consensus is what I thought about having to just add more coats.

It's still strange that it would bleed through after you finish. What kind of demonic possessed pen were you using???
Bic jell pens :( was very disheartening to see it bleed through when I applied the clear coat it was so weird. Guess I'll just apply a few more coats.

Mostly sucks cuz I have to redo the weathering on the camo parts now

Last edited:
So I found what may be a solution.. Tonight i'm going to repaint the camo parts again, and then follow it up with modge podge to seal it before completing with a top coat. I will let you guys know how that goes, not to double post or anything.
Just figured i'd follow up if anyone makes this mistake like me..

Did you prime the foam before painting? A black or white plasti-dip base coat whould give you a completely blank canvas.
I put the pen on top of my spray paint so that I knew where to paint on the camo splotches.. that's how this occured sadly was my inexperience with paints that killed me. I used leak seal to prime before any paint.

Here is why it bled through:

Compared to other inks, gel ink has higher viscosity, which supports a higher proportion of pigments in the medium. The pigments are typically copper phthalocyanine and iron oxides, and the gel is made up of water and biopolymers, such as xanthan gum and tragacanth gum, as well as some types of polyacrylate thickeners. The pigments are opaque, and gel pens are available in several bright and pastel colours, as well as opalescent, metallic, and glittery colours which show up clearly on dark paper. Many gel inks are water resistant, and are not washed away by water once the ink has dried.

This is probably why the paint didn't adhere so well to the lines drawn by the pen and bled through. So, next time either don't use a gel pen or do a light sanding over the lines if you insist on using the gel pen.

Compared to other inks, gel ink has higher viscosity, which supports a higher proportion of pigments in the medium. The pigments are typically copper phthalocyanine and iron oxides, and the gel is made up of water and biopolymers, such as xanthan gum and tragacanth gum, as well as some types of polyacrylate thickeners. The pigments are opaque, and gel pens are available in several bright and pastel colours, as well as opalescent, metallic, and glittery colours which show up clearly on dark paper. Many gel inks are water resistant, and are not washed away by water once the ink has dried.

This is probably why the paint didn't adhere so well to the lines drawn by the pen and bled through. So, next time either don't use a gel pen or do a light sanding over the lines if you insist on using the gel pen.
Wow, yea I would have never known that, definitly know for future reference now though not to use them they were just what i had on hand. Do you have a suggestion here though, should I mod podge over what I had and then paint and clear coat, or should I just repaint over it right now, then mod podge seal and then clear coat the top.
Right now i'm planning: repaint camo, mod podge seal, clear coat matte.

Wow, hard science talk from FotR? It must be Monday, the silly engine hasn't kicked in yet.

Wow, hard science talk from FotR? It must be Monday, the silly engine hasn't kicked in yet.

Wikipedia hard at work......I wasn't sure if I was correct, but it just sounded better coming from them than from me.....it would have sounded more caveman-ish.

Wow, yea I would have never known that, definitly know for future reference now though not to use them they were just what i had on hand. Do you have a suggestion here though, should I mod podge over what I had and then paint and clear coat, or should I just repaint over it right now, then mod podge seal and then clear coat the top.
Right now i'm planning: repaint camo, mod podge seal, clear coat matte.

Your call. You could do either as there is no one or better way than the other.

I am Sean Anwalt and I support this message.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back