Pennyless Prime's Halo: Reach Build (WIP, pic heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pennyless Prime

Hey fellow 405th-ers, I'm starting my first official build! I'm going to be using a combination of pepakura and EVA foam to build a custom suit of Reach armor. I'll try my best to post pictures of my progress, and share my methods to whoever asks. I also know that there are a lot more experienced builders on here, so I might ask you for help from time to time. Let's get started, shall we?

halo3_54970966_Full.jpg

Re: Pennyless Prime's Halo: Reach Build

Update: I've completed the pepakura portion of my JFO helmet. I figured it would be easier using an already-made pepakura file rather than trying to make a foam template myself. Most other pieces will be made from foam, however. Now It's time for fiberglass and resin!

Sorry about the sideways pictures, the next ones will be right-side-up.
IMG_0709.JPGIMG_0712.JPGIMG_0710.JPGIMG_0708.JPGIMG_0707.JPG

Off to a good start. Many folks will advise to start with something simple like a hand plate, but I don't think there's anything wrong with jumping straight in with a helmet. If you do a good job, it will certainly motivate you to move on to the rest of the suit! You will only get better.

SB

Looks nice and even, keep it up :thumbsup and hopefully you figure out the sideways picture thing because that hurts my head. lol.

Good job! The pep looks very clean :3

Thank you guys for the resounding support!

I have another update. I recently finished the outside and inside coating of fiberglass resin. I took out the visor portion because I figured that would have to be cut out later anyways. I hot-glued some cardstock and a couple pencils to give it some support while I resin-ed the outside, and then melted the glue once the resin was set. Now it's on to the fiberglass! I'm using fiberglass cloth as opposed to the matting. I've heard that the cloth is a lot easier to work with and just as strong. Let's see how it goes!

IMG_0715.JPGIMG_0716.JPGIMG_0717.JPGIMG_0718.JPGIMG_0719.JPGIMG_0722.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0721.JPG
    IMG_0721.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 265

Update! I finally finished fiberglassing the inside of the helmet. The next step is bondo! I know I'll have to cut out the back at some point so I can fit my head in, but I'm wondering where to cut it and if I should cut it out before bondo-ing? Help would be greatly appreciated
IMG_0734.JPGIMG_0735.JPG

before bondo is preferable, cutting bondo can be quite messy and it could crack in the process

Sorry That I haven't updated in a while! My a capella choir is getting ready for a big competition on Friday. I recently finished my first coating of bondo and did some sanding. Once all the sanding is finished, I'll fill in any little holes or divots and give the helmet a coat of primer to see how it looks, and what areas need to be raised. I decided not to cut out the back of the helmet because It would take more time, and money, and I'm not super confident about buzzing out a piece of my helmet with my not-so-steady hands. It will just be a tight squeeze to get it on my big head. I also rigged up a little helmet stand out of some scraps and a duck head (don't worry, it's not an actual duck head.)
IMG_0749.JPGIMG_0752.JPGIMG_0751.JPGIMG_0740.JPG

Oh wow, how did I only just see this? Great work man!

I finished sanding down the bondo, and gave it a coat of primer to see what areas need fixing. I also drew in the details with marker to get an idea of what it will look like. So far I like how it looks! Though I'm wondering how raise a few spots, and how to get rid of the rough paper bits sticking out through the paint. Any help is appreciated as well as your resounding support! Thanks guys.
IMG_0753.JPGIMG_0754.JPG

before bondo is preferable, cutting bondo can be quite messy and it could crack in the process

I've heard it's better to cut after bondoing. That way everything is even and you know it will fit nicely together after being cut. It's not hard to cut bondo/fiberglass with a dremel tool. Just use a reinforced cut-off wheel. But, since you aren't cutting it out Pennyless you can always just sand out the neck opening to widen it up a bit for you.

As for the paper fibers... get some Krazy glue (brand of super glue) They sell it at Dollar Tree in the US. Squeeze a little out on the fiber strands and the paper will pull in the glue and harden. Now you can sand the paper and it will react like plastic. Pretty neat I think. Maybe not as neat as your duck head. :)

I've heard it's better to cut after bondoing. That way everything is even and you know it will fit nicely together after being cut. It's not hard to cut bondo/fiberglass with a dremel tool. Just use a reinforced cut-off wheel. But, since you aren't cutting it out Pennyless you can always just sand out the neck opening to widen it up a bit for you.

As for the paper fibers... get some Krazy glue (brand of super glue) They sell it at Dollar Tree in the US. Squeeze a little out on the fiber strands and the paper will pull in the glue and harden. Now you can sand the paper and it will react like plastic. Pretty neat I think. Maybe not as neat as your duck head. :)

Thank you so much! I'll give that a try.

I finished sanding down the bondo, and gave it a coat of primer to see what areas need fixing. I also drew in the details with marker to get an idea of what it will look like. So far I like how it looks! Though I'm wondering how raise a few spots, and how to get rid of the rough paper bits sticking out through the paint. Any help is appreciated as well as your resounding support! Thanks guys.

For the paper bits sticking out, I filed those down to help round off some of the corners that are created by the pepping process. Hope that helps.If you have low spots, usually just going back with bondo and filling them in will work, you may have to prime a few times to determine where the high and low spots are. It looking good! Keep it up!

For the paper bits sticking out, I filed those down to help round off some of the corners that are created by the pepping process. Hope that helps.If you have low spots, usually just going back with bondo and filling them in will work, you may have to prime a few times to determine where the high and low spots are. It looking good! Keep it up!

Thanks! The filing seems to be working, I'm filling in the low spots now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back