People still don't know how to behave online...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dung0beetle

• 1 Read the forum rules. Even if you're excited to be a member of a new forum and can't wait to join in, take the time to find the group policy page and read it thoroughly. Some forums are fussier than others about Internet etiquette.

• 2 Lurk a little before you dive right in. Read a number of posts, or check out the group's archives. Get a feel for the tone of the forum so you can participate accordingly.

• 3 Remember your sarcasm/facial expression doesn't show. Words alone can convey sentiment, but without benefit of inflection or facial expression, they can be misconstrued. Use descriptive wording, emoticons or .gifs to ensure your meaning is clear. By the same token, don't jump to conclusions about another person's intent in posting an unclear comment. When in doubt, ask for clarification.

• 4 Type in lowercase or standard case, not in all caps. By the rules of netiquette, all caps equates to shouting. If you type with all caps, you will annoy and possibly offend other forum members.

• 5 Say online exactly what you would say in person. In other words, if you wouldn't say it to the person's face in front of your Grandmother, you shouldn't type it into a forum.

• 6 Be respectful. Internet etiquette is similar to standard etiquette in this area. Appreciate that your opinion is one of many. You can disagree with another person without being disrespectful or rude online.

• 7 Ignore Trolls. Netiquette guidelines are very specific where they're concerned. If you engage in conversation, you'll raise your blood pressure and empower the Troll. You can't win a flame war, and you can't sway a Troll's opinion. Often, they don't even care about the subject; they live for the conflict and nothing more. Trolls are common and not worthy of your time. Ignore their posts-no matter how inflammatory-and eventually they'll get bored and move on.

You will find LOTS of free files, information, and tutorials here. If a member decides his/her work is not something that he/she would like to give away for free, that is their prerogative. If you don't wish to pay, you must live with not having that product or service.

A lot of hard work goes into creating these files, tutorials and other information that you are getting for free. This is a community. We are here to help and share with each other, but do not get offended if someone decides to put a price tag on their time and hard work.

This is not 4chan, there are consequences for disrespect and stupidity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sticky this and make it mandatory readying for first log in. That wont happen but everything is true in what he says.
I completely agree FR. This should be a mandatory first prior to being able to post in the forums. That and the introduce yourself thread.

I agree. This should be stickied. I've seen too many people with poor net behavior lately. And a lot with very poor punctuation too.

Not much consequences on here for stupidity and disrespect, except for a talking to from a Veteran of the 405th. But still I agree this needs to be stickied somewhere even though we already have too much of this sitee covered in stickies and not many seem to look at them.

Yes, sticky this thread, so it can be ignored by new members along with all the others.

I agreed with everyone but I find that having stickies doesn't mean new members will read it. There are still those who jump right in and start shooting out questions and request. Is it possible to have this show up in all pages. For example if you click on new post this thread will show up as first thread? Otherwise the only time you see this sticky is when you click in the noob forum.

I think it should be included on the form rules page that shows up every time you create an account. So that when a member agrees to it, they should have read what to do and how to act. Then when they are banned, they cant claim they didnt know.

Just like the an EULA lol.

Yes, sticky this thread, so it can be ignored by new members along with all the others.

actually i agree. i ignored all stickiy threads for a week. and thats the reason my mark6 and other armour bits thread sucked chickens
but i did read all the rules on the agreement, so put it on there!

There are too many idiots here, and that is why many of the good contributors don't post here any more. I guess it is to be expected when your target audience comes from a console video game.

Why not put a notification like the ones in the classifieds in the red and yellow font? I mean maybe not for this thread specifically, but still it could work to say to read the stickies or something.

On the other hand though, I understand the rude behavior some people have. When all is said and done, most people don't even behave like they're supposed to in the real world (I know I don't follow every acceptable rule out there; the general majority probably doesn't either). That doesn't make irreverence and stuff acceptable or justified online, but it is a reason. Just as there is will always be people who drive aggressively out on the road and break every traffic rule in existence while always seeming to be out to make you and only you very mad, there will always be those on the forums and everywhere else who do the same. It's a fact of life, and as much as we really do wish it could be solved, there really is no way that would not have adverse effects on everyone else (for example, making a test about safety and stuff that you have to pass as a precursor before you can even sign up would remove these people, but discourage those who want to be members but either don't want to start building stuff or are maybe there just to 3D model, etc.).

To clarify my side though, I do agree with you 100%, dung0beetle. ;)

There are too many idiots here, and that is why many of the good contributors don't post here any more. I guess it is to be expected when your target audience comes from a console video game.

Yeah, I don't even like Halo too much anymore. Well, I still love the first 3 and ODST, but Reach could have been a lot better, and the future looks bleak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back