Jaku's Venator, Marine, and Misc builds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here it is
15181358525701679539828.jpg
1518135898997-984481568.jpg

Finally found my glue gun after three days of searching. I decided to fix my chest plate before continuing. I may have to redo most of the back, but for now I am cutting along the folds in the foam and regluing do get sharper Angles. Lots of filling will be required.
KIMG0893.JPG KIMG0892.JPG KIMG0891.JPG KIMG0890.JPG KIMG0889.JPG KIMG0887.JPG
Let me know if you think it is beyond saving, or what parts are salvageable.
Dude.....you need better pics. Great job though.......still on the wish list.
Dirtdives I very much doubt that my picture quality will improve anytime soon.

Not quite sure what that means. Sorry I'm not very good at acronyms

Q.E.D. (also written QED and QED) is an initialism of the Latin phrase quod erat demonstrandum meaning "what was to be demonstrated" or "what was to be shown."[1] Some may also use a less direct translation instead: "thus it has been demonstrated." Traditionally, the phrase is placed in its abbreviated form at the end of a mathematical proof or philosophical argument when the original proposition has been restated exactly, as the conclusion of the demonstration or completion of the proof.[2]

In other words.....you build is great....but your pics suck. :D

you build is great....but your pics suck. :D

Shots fired my dude. Shots fired.

Leiutenant Jaku the best trick to taking pictures is lighting and a passably steady hand. All my pictures are done either in daylight with a window near my build table or under a light source (ceiling light fixture) with a lamp close by to eliminate shadows as much as possible, you can probably see the yellow circular base of the lamp in some photos. Lights help your camera since digital sensors try to correct for low light and just end up grainy and pixelated. If you can't add light, boost your camera ISO so that the sensor takes in more light.

The steady hand thing always gets me since I have a constant shake, part caffeine, part family history but I get it under control by holding my phone or camera in both hands and bracing my elbows against my chest or on a work surface.

Super simple stuff that maybe adds 30 seconds to your workflow but changes photos from potato quality to something people will admire on the internet. Also, don't be afraid to take multiple shots and keeping only the best. If you're using an Android phone Google Photos helps out by automatically compressing and clearing clutter so your memory is saved and you have plenty of options for posting only the images that show off the best of your work.

Like the Dirtguy said, you're foamwork is awesome but we're only getting glimpses of it and we want to see more!

Hope these are better
Maybe you can tell me what is irreparable.

What do you me by irreparable? Is something broken on the chest? Looks great to me! How long have you been doing this? A year maybe two? I would be super proud of that chest piece. I've tried making a few things in foam and it is beyond me. Now it just needs the rest of the armor to go with it!

By the way... your pictures are wonderful!!! :D good lighting makes a world of difference.

If memory serves you would just fill in the cracks on the seems with spackle or something of the like. Now that you have better pictures maybe Dirtdives can weigh in on where to go from here with your chest.

Last edited:
What do you me by irreparable? Is something broken on the chest? Looks great to me! How long have you been doing this? A year maybe two? I would be super proud of that chest piece. I've tried making a few things in foam and it is beyond me. Now it just needs the rest of the armor to go with it!

By the way... your pictures are wonderful!!! :D good lighting makes a world of difference.

If memory serves you would just fill in the cracks on the seems with spackle or something of the like. Now that you have better pictures maybe Dirtdives can weigh in on where to go from here with your chest.
Thanks for the support.
Here are my thoughts:
It looks a bit better than before but I feel like the whole piece is not done great (there are some pretty big gaps in-between some). Also it doesn't give off the same venator vibe. Maybe I am just being to harsh on myself though. After adding detail I will see how it looks.

I'm pretty sure that you can fill those cracks in with something, I'm just not sure what exactly. Craft foam can definitely add detail, could also be used to cover up seems I would think.

I definitely knew it was a Venator chest just looking at any of those photos. Paint will really help pull it all together though. You've probably seen people weather along hard edges with silver. One of the benefits is that it will make those edges pop. Even if your edge was rounded over imagine that you painted a thin silver line along it.. now to anyone looking at you it looks defined like a hard edge would be. Artists can make 3d drawings on 2d paper just by using color and shading .. nothing is stopping us from using those same tricks on our costumes.

My pictures have improved thank you master TurboChiarzard :)

I am no master. I'm just some random dude on the internet that likes to look at funny gifs and sometimes post about making costumes.

The suit looks like it's coming along well, I can't wait to see what's in store for us next!

edits to 3d model. IMPORTANT! file should be in post
1. fix to hole
Capture6.PNGCapture9.PNG(square outline does not show in final)
2. not so important, but indent for ammo count
Capture7.PNG Capture8.PNG
here is a picture of the final
Capture10.PNG

Attachments

• LieutenantJaku's Custom Rifle.zip
    70.1 KB · Views: 274

ok Leiutenant Jaku, I'm going to be brutally honest w/ you.........I've done worse ;)......oh yes I have........but you have potential and room for improvement. Several points that scream out to me that I have also done in the past, is poor cuts. Either your blade isn't sharp (or sharp enough), your cut lines are not 100% straight, or your bevel isn't fully to the edge of the top of the foam so that the edges don't meet properly at the joint. These 3 things alone can cause the gaps you are currently suffering from in your pieces. A metal ruler can eliminate 60% of this problem right off the bat. So if you don't have one....get one. Any office or Art supply location will have. Don't use the plastic or wood ones....terrible.

Next is hot glue. This is something that can get out of hand. People swear by it while some people avoid it like the plague. It is a matter of preference. In your case, you have embraced in as most spectacular fashion. I'll be buying stock in a hot glue manufacturer before the end of the day. I would say less is more.....the less you see of it the better your joints will be. You can go crazy on the back end of anything for reinforcement.....but let's try not to get it on the outside of your pieces or visible during fabrication.

Gaps: This also is a topic of hot debate. How to fill in those dam holes. And again there are many ways that they can be fill in, and is a matter of preference. I have used hot glue, caulk, spackel (don't use), and Durram's water putty.....That last one is a form of plaster that air dries to a hard substance like plaster or joint compound but the PSI is much higher and is much more durable...I would not recommend that method for you unless you have extensive working experience w/ it, and yes I do. Now hot glue is a quick way to fill gaps that cools rapidly allowing you to continue working right after a minuet or two, but has a tendency of forming a concave "pit" as it cools depending on the size of the hole being filled. This can be filled in again later but will need to be either smoothed down w/ an implement or sanded down....which in of itself isn't easy. The foam around tends to sand quicker forming a mound of hot glue left behind. Now caulk has a viscosity that prevents it from forming that dip but can take several hours to cure....time that you can't touch the piece because it can distort the seam, pull away the caulk and the gap could reform. Both of these methods have their pluses and negatives but both work. I would also advise that depending on the size of the gap, a piece of blue painter's tape on the inside of the foam piece to prevent glue or caulk from just falling straight through. Caulk is also a bit easier to sand down so for those little holes...I use that. It gives you a bit more working time to smoothen out. And since it is a latex base, it won't eat the EVA but adhere to it better. The down side is you must use a paintable "flavor", because if you used one for the bathroom and sinks.....those are waterproof and won't take paint. Look for the painter's caulk.

Keep in mind.....this is my technique......you don't have to follow it if you have your own maddens to your method.

Now in your last batch of pics, I see you cut down 2 pieces of foam on chest right by the shoulders.....not sure why you did that. Is it because they were sitting too high or protruding too far out? Not sure.....regardless, they need a bit of help. Before I can do so, I need to know a bit more about the situation.

Overall, I agree w/ PerniciousDuke. One look and you knew its was a Venator chest piece.....so kudos to you. Now its on to detailing this bad boy out, filling in the gaps and painting. Great job man!!! Don't get discouraged........, we are our own worst critiques.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back