Pep Armour and Helmet - WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwantaxbox360

First a big thank you for the time taken by so many members to provide high quality tutorial and LOTS of picture advice.

My son and I are both big halo fans, and thought a costume for halloween would be in order. So to outline my lack of experience in this field...
1. Had no idea what pepakura was until i found this site
2. Never made any paper/card or any kind of model in my life
3. Artistic ability is zero to a negative 10
4. Painting ability - akin to a 1st grader i think.
5. Glue gun experience - 0%

So I am not actually a good candidate for this project what wanted to give it a go. I will put pics up today of the progress so far. With the help of these tutorials on this site, i think i have done OK so far. This has been a learning curve of epic proportions for me.

My biggest worry is the resin and fiberglass stage , I have never worked with resin of fibreglass before, so my biggest concern will be messing the whole suit up.
I am currently remaking the helmet as i have gotten better with this pepakura, so the new helmet should be ready today.

I think i have read every post in this forum now yest i spent a month reading everything before i started to even consider making it.

You can see the helmet needs to be re-done, which is happening today.

Walter Spase

YAR!!! someone that read... hey, you have any questions about fiberglassing and detailing, shoot me a PM.. I'd be glad to lend you my experience...

preskewl

Same here.. If you need help let me know.. I actually gotta redo my calf.. It shrank during the fiberglass process.. I couldn't get my leg in there.. Cut it in half and still don't look right.. I guess, I'm back to paper folding and fiberglassing.. ;)

LastSpartan

Sr Member
This is a really nice job you did!

For the fiberglass, you just need to be patient or everything will end up with a big mess.

Follow the instructions, and your son will have his best HALOween!

Liamthedevastator

I agree with LastSpartan, as long as you take your time, you should be A-OKAY! Besides, considering you have never done this before it looks amazing! Kids these days are so lucky=]

iwantaxbox360

Thanks for the comments so far. i finished the 2nd attempt for the helmet today, so i am already to go with the resin tomorrow Gulp!.

I will take the advise and go slow on this part now.

I went and ordered the visor from the local bike shop (they want to see the finished costume now). BUt looking at one of the visor it looks like i will have to cut the side in order to fit it in the helmet, Is a dremel the only way to cut these visor's nice and clean?

Steve

iwantaxbox360

Sat here looking at detail pic's of MC for detailing I decided to work out what i had spent so far...this is not good[/b]

110lb card stock 2off $10
1 glue gun $5
Glue sticks $3
Exacto knife & cutting board $9
3 packet of blades $7
1 metal ruler $2
10 foam brushes $8
10 cheap bristle brushes $5
3 packets of fiberglass cloth $18
I Large tin of resin $44
3 cans of primmer $10
3 cans of test colours for the suit $10
1 can of silver paint $4
1 HJC visor $36
1 soldering gun $8
switch, batt compartment for fans $8
2 cpu fans $15 (delivered)
Paintball gloves $20
LED lights $15
undersuit $40
snaps for undersuit $3

A bank breaking, and scream of ...'I am not sure I love my son this much' ....$280 so far!

I still will need more spray cans of colour i am guessing another 5 or 6.

And then there is my time on top of that.

AoBfrost

Steve may just be the next pep armor god.

I'm working for around 100 dollars as my budget, if it goes over, thats ok, I have a job and will just not spend on anything for a while to make the cash back up. This did dent my vespa budget, but heck I'm not buying one till next spring/summer anyways.

preskewl

Steve said:
Sat here looking at detail pic's of MC for detailing I decided to work out what i had spent so far...this is not good[/b]

110lb card stock 2off $10
1 glue gun $5
Glue sticks $3
Exacto knife & cutting board $9
3 packet of blades $7
1 metal ruler $2
10 foam brushes $8
10 cheap bristle brushes $5
3 packets of fiberglass cloth $18
I Large tin of resin $44
3 cans of primmer $10
3 cans of test colours for the suit $10
1 can of silver paint $4
1 HJC visor $36
1 soldering gun $8
switch, batt compartment for fans $8
2 cpu fans $15 (delivered)
Paintball gloves $20
LED lights $15
undersuit $40
snaps for undersuit $3

A bank breaking, and scream of ...'I am not sure I love my son this much' ....$280 so far!

I still will need more spray cans of colour i am guessing another 5 or 6.

And then there is my time on top of that.

I'm scared to even think how much I spent on my armor.. Well, I might as well calculate it too.. Especially for people that are trying to get into it.. (gulp)

Oh this does not include my SB Helmet I got a few month's ago.. :cautious:

(1) 200 sheets 110 lb card stock $12.00
(1) 6" Bone Folder $8.00
(3) Tacky glue $3.00
(4) resin pints $48.00
(4) fiberglass cloth $24.00
(1) 4.5 oz glazing putty (3.50)
(1) Bondo filler 1 gallon (18.00)
(2) 2 sanding block $10.00
(7) paint brushes ($8.00)
(5) Primer filler ($20.00)
(10) Paint ($70.00)
(1) Heat gun ($28.00)
(1) hand sander ($28.00)
(5) Sand paper ($15.00)
(1) flashlight ($5.00)
(1) pvc piping ($2.00)
(1) dremel grinding drums ($3.50)
(1) dremel cutting wheels ($7.00)
(1) fast orange hand cleaner (.80)
(1) Bondo round Cheese Grate ($4.00)
(1) paintball gloves ($11.00)

Total rounded $286.80 giver or take on tax

stuff already had around the house and work: freebies!
Glue Gun
Glue sticks
2 boxes of rubber gloves
extra sandpaper
dremel tool
putty knife
goggles
dust masks
cardboard boxes
foam boards
Flat cheese grate and holder
respirator

I still need the following:

undersuit
leds
wires
batteries
velcro and strapping
and possible other things that will come up..

Oh and let's not talk about time.. I have been working on this everyday after work for 3 weeks.. Starting at 7:00pm to 1:30 AM.. Weekends from 10 am to oh dark thirty.. for the past 3 weeks.. Deadline is on the 26th of this month ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

iwantaxbox360

AoBfrost said:
Steve may just be the next pep armor god.

I'm working for around 100 dollars as my budget, if it goes over, thats ok, I have a job and will just not spend on anything for a while to make the cash back up. This did dent my vespa budget, but heck I'm not buying one till next spring/summer anyways.

I think MUG might be a better description of me..lol

That really shocked me when i sat down and worked it all out......you watch it will look like crap when i finished it now!

Anyway I will be sticking the fiberglass cloth into the suit this afternoon, and will resin the fiberglass tonight/tomorrow.

AoBfrost

4 cans or resin? This is a costume not US military bullet proof vest lol.

That thing will be 100% baseball bat proof when done I bet.

preskewl

AoBfrost said:
4 cans or resin? This is a costume not US military bullet proof vest lol.

That thing will be 100% baseball bat proof when done I bet.

Ha ha.. Sounds like a lot but actually it's probably less then a gallon.. Since it's 4 pint cans.. I couldn't find the big gallon one up untill yesterday at another autosupply store.. I messed up and used fiberglass mat on my chest and back piece. That sucked up about 1pint... Costly mistake on my part, but well.. I learned alot.. Oh, and I also had to redo my left and right calf pieces.. Fixed cracking pieces and resin my AR. So it was more then enough.. I have like a 1/4 left of resin sitting there..

iwantaxbox360

Preskewl,

Looks like we have the same deadline.

Thanks for you list...i have never heard of a bone folder...I wish i had used one of them when i was folding, but i will be buying one today...for the next project..lol

It looks like the $300 mark is pretty true for most pep armour if you do it all, paint, lights,fans etc.

Touch wood, so far i havn't had any problems with resin. I was struggling with keep the chest piece shaped for resin, but i found an old pillow worked great to keep its general shape so i can finish it.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.