pepakura, glue vs tape?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valcara

Jr Member
so i made a helmet using pepakura, but im not going to use it because it was just a test, and i used tape to hold the seams together.
but long story short, i started making a spartan mark VI armor, but i scraped it, and im starting all over again, and im just curious on what you preffer to use to hold your pepakura seams together? i used tape because it was a quick way to stick things together, vs waiting for elmers glue, or epoxy (or whatever glue you use to dry)
just got me thinking, and i want to hear what you preffer to use on your seams.

I don't think tape will stand up to the resining prosses. From what I understand most on the site use hot glue.
Personally I use woodglue, though once the piece is set its nearly impossible to remove so it had better be right the first time. Hot glue can be reset by heating it up to remelt the glue

I used ABS glue so essentially plastic glue.

I wouldnt use tape purely due to the fact that tape holds up poorly to water if there is any seams so when you go to resin it from the outside any resin that leaks into the tape could make it useless and it could start peeling off. Then when you go to fiberglass the inside the resin wouldnt stick as well as it should to just paper.

If it's just temporary, you can try duct/gaffers tape. It's pretty strong. It worked for my halloween costume one year. Lasted all day. Sure, if you bump it around it'll dent in! haha

71600_496424302673_610357673_7702658_3891774_n.jpg

Me and my ugly mug (sans hair)

I use tape for my pepakura's but if youre planning on resining your piece and putting body filler on the outside tape can be a big hassle, I suggest gluing down the tabs then using tape to hold it in place while it dries but on the INSIDE of the piece, that way it wont give you a headache when youre sanding the outside :)

Personally I like to use super glue which cuts the build time down by a lot on Pepakura. If I ever get around to working with foam I will switch to hot glue.

Personally I like to use super glue which cuts the build time down by a lot on Pepakura. If I ever get around to working with foam I will switch to hot glue.

Agree. Superglue is the way to go! Just be prepared to glue your fingers once in awhile! But, SO MUCH FASTER! I picked mine up at the dollar store!!! woohoo for being cheap!

Tape is terrible for pep, you'll get best results with PVA or some other type of glue, or hot glue if you are experienced with it will give the best results.

I still think you'd be better off with foam, it's cleaner, safer, and easier. If you take a lot of corners with pep it will just end up collapsing and being a big frustration, but it's all a personal preference call. If you are sure about pep, we'll give as much help as possible!

I use Hot Glue to make my peps

for small pieces and pieces that don't aways have direct contact like shoulder pieces or knee pieces i use low heat hot glue

for pieces that are handled alot or are big or have weird formats and need to be strong to survive the process of resining i use HIGH heat industrial hot glue. (this stuff is awesome, but you need a respirator to work with)

I used tape on most of my pieces so far. I really regret it....

I don't use resin, so it's not that issue, it's just that it makes edges look horrible and you can still see it in places on the costume that aren't completely covered in either Bondo or (in my case) paperclay.

I ended up trying to peel all the tape off after I hardened the inside of my armour and still missed a lot.

TL;DR version: Use hot glue. More burns, but less frustration....so much less...

i'm going to say this once: HOT GLUE. don't listen to anyone telling you "hot gue will melt in the sun!" because they have no idea hw hot it needs to be to melt the glue. hot glue is very clean, dries fast, AND (heres the best part) if you mess up, rub the tip of the gun over the spot a few times and you came peal it off and try again. very clean, affordable, and fast. just dont be TOO impatient or you will burn your self, but it isnt that but, like poking a tac.

I've been using glue sticks.
glue-stick_300.jpg

I got a bunch for cheap during the back to school sale. No waiting for it to dry, and it holds great through resin. I also use white glue, but you have to hold it for a minute for it to set. I don't like using superglue because I never get it to sit right the first time and always end up shifting the piece around. Hot glue is ok, but yes, here in Tx in the summertime with 100+ degree temperatures plus your own body heat radiating out into your gear, the glue will melt. If your gear doesn't have a cooling system or adequate ventilation, it can get very hot inside. If the area you are trooping/cosplaying doesn't get extreme heat, then it's not an issue.
It also really depends on how you are going to harden the part. If you like to sand away all of the cardstock, then it doesn't matter what you use as long as your resin doesn't eat the adhesive. I like to resin and glass the inside, then sand away the card, it makes the finished product much stronger and doesn't leave air gaps which can cause cracks later.

As with most of the others here, I use hot glue for my pep. It works very fast and is easily fixable. The only drawbacks really are the potential burns (You could use a low-temp gun. It hurts, but doesn't burn) and the glue strings. They're like spiderwebs! Fortunately, hot glue sticks are very cheap and plentiful. I use the long 1' sticks personally, so a single stick will last an entire part, so I don't waste time putting in a new one. Once the old one starts to run out, you can actually glue a new one to the end of it for a seamless transfer.

I use Masking Tape and it works like a charm! It's quick, it's clean, and it seals the seams when I pour Rondo in it. I Don't have to resin the pieces before I rondo and it's over all the best way to quickly build peps.

I also cut off all the tabs so the seams match up perfectly so there is no over lap on the pieces or spaces for rondo to get between the two sheets of paper.

I also remove all the tape once I pour in my rondo. The heat of the rondo losesn the adhesive on the tape to is comes off really easy.

Then I take the piece in the shower and wash off all the paper.

This leaves me a nice smooth clean piece without the mess of Glass and Resin.

Here is my build on the OC site:

http://z6.invisionfree.com/Obscurus_Crusade/index.php?showtopic=956&st=105

i used tape before, and regular glue and glue sticks. tape was ver yhard to place on the big peices, regular glue was way too messy and took too long to dry, and glue sticks had almost no stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back