pepakura, glue vs tape?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed....had to pry myself apart more than a few times. I use the Loctite brand, available at Wal-Mart, super glue liquid. I get it for just under $3 a bottle at my local store.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Loctite-Super-Glue-Longneck-Bottle/20470692

-Matt

Indeed. Solution: Latex gloves. I use Gorilla Glue a lot in other costume projects (not for pep, 'cause it foams when it dries), also in some sculptures. It's just as bad to get on your skin, but I just get a box of latex gloves to work with, and the worst you'll end up with is an accidental gluing of one glove to another.

I need to try this super glue method myself...

I've thought about using latex gloves when assembling, but most of the time that I personally become glued, it has to do with gluing myself to the model that I'm building, due to the glue coming out of the sides of the flaps. If you're using gloves, you're fingers wouldn't get stuck, but then you would pieces of latex on the inside of the model. Just my 2 cents. :)

-Matt

I wonder why everyone can go through hot glue and super glue i mean, hot glue and super glue can be appropriate for things like foam, but if youre using cardstock or any paper-like materials, then why not go for something like Elmer's Glue? First off, it doesnt require any electricity or heat so you can work without anything mildly hazardous, second of all you dont need any nail polish to remove standard Elmer's glue, and last of all Elmer's Glue has a good drying time (in my opinion) plus you can easily fix mistakes!
Heres the one I use : http://www.amazon.com/Elmers-School-Ounce-White-E134/dp/B003KWDTL2

I would just like to report...

Super glue. <3 I am not going back to any other method. So much...pep...not falling apart while assembling...why did I never try super glue until now?

i use scotch brand scrapbooking glue. ive tried superglue, but it is a mess to clean up and i think it reeks too much for me. i like my glue, it does take bout 10-15 seconds to hold the peices in place, but it permanently bonds your pieces together when it dries, and on the plus side, it peels off of everything that isnt paper, kinda like how the glue on the back of gift cards peel off!

NEVER EVER use tape for ANYTHING you'll be resining. some of the solvents in the resin react chemically with the tape, thus being no more tape on your model, resulting in you watching your piece fall together right in front of your very eyes. lol I'm not speaking from experience, just seen people learn that the hard way my few years here. lol good luck and post pics when you start creating!

Hmm i used to use hot glue but i found it way too messy for my liking, im a bit of a nut when it comes to my peps. Anyways i asked Bevbor what he used because he's one incredible pep builder and he recommended elmers indoor wood glue. It sounds odd but the stuff works wonders, it sticks within seconds and fully dries within a minute, cheap, lasts a long time and is really strong, just as good as superglue without the smell and hazards.
7459509100_5b602b84e9_n.jpg

Anyways I started using this stuff and never looked back, makes pep alot more relaxing not having to worry about singed or sticky fingers. Oh another tip is i cut up little credit card pieces and use them to apply the glue accurately to spread it efficiently, this also works wonderfully.
7459517030_7c3f1fc4e2.jpg

thats what ive been doing. i use the glue sticks but the extreme crafts verion. less than 2 bucks and the tube will last you throught the entire chest and more. plus less mess. just dont forget to cap it or it will dry out.

If it's a dirty build to check size, tape is a great idea.

I use Loctite super glue. The professional liquid type that dries in 5 sec. You can hit it with a bat and it'll hold. I also use this for my foam builds. It keeps the seam perfect. Hot glue just doesn't do it for me unless I'm filling in a cavity. But be warned, as is with all super glues, it can hurt your lungs so I wear a respirator.

i used something called paper cement (its like rubber cement) but when it dries it doesnt leave any unwanted globs of glue behind. takes about 1 min -1.5 min to dry and when you apply it u need to glue both sides of paper and wait till both sides are beginning to become sticky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back