pepakura models from scratch???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey 405th

I'm looking to make up some 3D models from scratch to then unfold in Pepakura, Rather than adapt or modify any of the files we currently have in the archive... is there a program that can be used to do this?

Iv got a program called sketch up that iv been messing about with, but it seems these files can't be changed to pep files.

Many thanks in advance for your help :)

Use 3d studio max, blender 3d or maya instead.

Studio max has a free license for 2 years per version. And every new year there is a new one.

You can change Sketchup Files to Pep files, I've done it before. I use Blender, though, it transfers easily between programs. And it's free.

any idea how its done 99? I cant find the option :-(

I can only seem to get a 30 day trial on 3ds max so iv gone with blender.

thanks for the help guys... you rock

If you're a student you can get a 3 year license for free on 3ds max. Or you could use slightly questionable tactics to obtain it.... :ninja

I would recommend 3ds max. Google sketchup is not something you would want to use for this so don't even bother with it.

:ninja Right on.

Throwing my lot in here: Blender is a lot easier to learn, and can open up Collada .DAE files.

I would disagree that Blender is easier to learn... starting from 0 experience, I would say they're about the same. Both are complex programs, but neither is much easier to learn than the other. It really comes down to once you learn/become familiar with one then it will seem harder to learn the other because there are just different methods of going about that same task in the other program. I think that 3ds max is the better program... Blender is awesome and it's free but 3ds max is just that much more tried and tested, and there are a lot of workflow improvements especially for modelling over Blender. I would probably use it as my primary application except that I spend probably half my time on a Mac (when I'm not at home) and there's no Mac version of 3DS max... so, I've been using Modo which is also a pretty awesome program.

I'm going to have to disagree with Master Builder about Sketchup being a bad program for creating Pep files. I've created plenty and have seen plenty of amazing files created on Sketchup.

I use TurboCAD Mac Pro and SirPalesAlot uses a combination of Sketchup and Blender, and data from those three applications is where our models come from. I tried learning Blender but its learning curve was just too steep. TurboCAD was more intuitive for me, but that's just because I come from a CAD background.

Sketchup isn't bad for creating pep models, but it does need a little bit of help from Blender.

If you plan to use Sketchup to model Pepakura files I suggest getting some ruby scripts to help you out. Sketchup is pretty basic, but there are plenty of users who have created add on tools to help make up for what it lacks. Models from Sketchup usually end up with open edges and the occasional wonky translated face. This is why I send the files through Blender before they go to Pep Designer.

I picked up Blender and Sketchup around the same time, and I found Sketchup easier to get into than Blender. Mesh modeling is something I was unfamiliar with when I started, and I'm still pretty new at it.

The only thing I really dislike about Sketchup is it's inability to automatically calculate tangency of arcs. I do wish Sketchup had the ability to subdivide and smooth faces like Blender does. I think there is a scrip for that somewhere, but it's not free.

I think it will boil down to personal preference in the end. Each software will have it's pros and cons. You just have to figure out what it most important to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back