Pepakura Noob In Need Of Assistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fevenis

I've spent some time reading tutorials yesterday and today and just couldn't find the answer I seek. Thought it'd b best just to post and ask. I have a few weeks to make a helmet for a costume I am doing, but I fear the pepakura file I downloaded wasn't finished.

I am attempting to use the following file:

http://papercraft.wikidot.com/papercraft:code-geass

There don't seem to be any fold lines or reference numbers when printing this at all. One thing I found interesting though was when I goto Texture Settings and start clicking items listed under texture and clolors, it displays what could potentially be fold lines in yellow. Is there a method to having those lines print at the very least as a reference point?

Any advice helps. I'm already way behind on starting this. Nothing like doing costumes at the last minute eh =p?

Fevenis said:
I've spent some time reading tutorials yesterday and today and just couldn't find the answer I seek. Thought it'd b best just to post and ask. I have a few weeks to make a helmet for a costume I am doing, but I fear the pepakura file I downloaded wasn't finished.

I am attempting to use the following file:

http://papercraft.wikidot.com/papercraft:code-geass

There don't seem to be any fold lines or reference numbers when printing this at all. One thing I found interesting though was when I goto Texture Settings and start clicking items listed under texture and clolors, it displays what could potentially be fold lines in yellow. Is there a method to having those lines print at the very least as a reference point?

Any advice helps. I'm already way behind on starting this. Nothing like doing costumes at the last minute eh =p?

Well, sir I have some help.

I also have a super HD version of this minus the faceplate on my thread XD.

But onto the help. If you're using Pep3, all you have to do is click settings > other settings you will see where to set the fold lines. select which ones you want to be mountain, and which to be valley and also be sure to click 2D menu > "show edge id" and bam, said the lady, you're done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow.. Thanks for the crazy quick responses on this.

@Brothers Darkness Icon

I'll have to check out your copy! It looks like a different version of the helmet, but very similar :). I couldn't find anything other than setting the color for mountain and valley lines, and I couldn't find the 2d menu. I am using the Pep3 viewer 3, should I be using the designer version? And so, do I need to buy it?

@mks81

Oh wow, very nice! Though it looks like some lines are still missing. What method did you use to add those in? The one Brothers Darkness mentioned? Like.. On page 1, if you double click the piece near the top, it highlights in red and shows where it should be folded I think?

Oh, and welcome to the 405th :D

Here's a cookie

space_invader_2.JPG

Get pep designer 3, you only need to buy a license if you wanna save your modified files. (like I do).

I set the fold threshold at 150 degrees. When you do that, you don't have as many sharp lines that you have to worry about sanding down. If you want the lines in there, simply change that to a higher number.

mks81 said:
I set the fold threshold at 150 degrees. When you do that, you don't have as many sharp lines that you have to worry about sanding down. If you want the lines in there, simply change that to a higher number.

Oh wow, that actually makes alot of sense.

One thing I just noticed, when looking at the back view of this design in the 3d viewer side, is there a gap between the top of the helmet and the rest of it? And if thats the case, would it be beneficial to close that gap myself with extra card stock?

Actually I have a weird question in this same vein.

I'm prototyping a new concept and need to do a couple of builds to finalize things. Can Pepakura print the faces to the paper in complete detail to match the 3D model so that I can modify the physical design and measure and/or scan it back in?

WARlock said:
Actually I have a weird question in this same vein.

I'm prototyping a new concept and need to do a couple of builds to finalize things. Can Pepakura print the faces to the paper in complete detail to match the 3D model so that I can modify the physical design and measure and/or scan it back in?

If you set your fold threshold to 180, then EVERY edge of every polygon of the model will be a part of the finished paper model. This can be more problematic than beneficial sometimes, if the details are small and close together, since digital polys have no volume, and paper and glue can make things crowded quickly.

I'm an old school modeler :p

Every tri is sacred and every face a premium that can make or break an engine thus I always make efficient use of them at all times. For this reason I seldom use spline modeling for anything other than Hi-Def life modeling. For these items, Med-Def smoothing is enough.

Thanks for the cookie ^^.

So looking at this design after printer it out and half way through cutting everything.. I starting think, was this designed for actual wearing, or is this just a model. If you open it in Pepakura, there is the top of the helmet, and the sides.. But also another layer under those as well. Is this normal.. It just is throwing me off a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back