Pepakura Reach Custom Suit: S-144. Pic Heavy [WIP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a note on this armour.
I've begun refitting this suit to be less of a short term film prop, and more of a mobile convention suit. I'll probably start wearing it to conventions after this.
I'll post some documentation and pictures on this thread to keep a record of what's going on.

How's visibility in the helmet? I'm looking to make that same helmet with a different reach set of armor for my body, and just want to know how it looks from the inside.

How's visibility in the helmet? I'm looking to make that same helmet with a different reach set of armor for my body, and just want to know how it looks from the inside.

Not too bad if you have the visor fairly close to your eyes and a method of keeping fog off of it. But I imagine it wouldn't be as good as other helmets.
Not sure how much it would help but I can try and take a picture from the inside if you want.

Not too bad if you have the visor fairly close to your eyes and a method of keeping fog off of it. But I imagine it wouldn't be as good as other helmets.
Not sure how much it would help but I can try and take a picture from the inside if you want.

Thats fine, I feel like a picture wouldn't do it justice so I'll take your word for it. I assumed from the beginning that visibility would be lower than, say, a Mk. VI. How did you deal with fogging the visor/breathing vents? This is my first attempt at armor and while I already have heavily researched the whole pep process, I haven't found much about venting the helmet.

Thats fine, I feel like a picture wouldn't do it justice so I'll take your word for it. I assumed from the beginning that visibility would be lower than, say, a Mk. VI. How did you deal with fogging the visor/breathing vents? This is my first attempt at armor and while I already have heavily researched the whole pep process, I haven't found much about venting the helmet.

I cut some vents around the chin area of the helmet and put steel mesh over them so that some of my breath would leave through there, then I put a small fan on the inside of each of the bulky respirator parts to keep the air circulating. Just make sure that when you get these fans that they are the most quiet ones you can get and that the power source you wire them up to has a long lifespan, fans chew power quite quickly.

I cut some vents around the chin area of the helmet and put steel mesh over them so that some of my breath would leave through there, then I put a small fan on the inside of each of the bulky respirator parts to keep the air circulating. Just make sure that when you get these fans that they are the most quiet ones you can get and that the power source you wire them up to has a long lifespan, fans chew power quite quickly.

Perfect, that's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks so much! I hope you don't mind if I contact you about any questions I run into during the construction process?

Of course I don't mind :)
That's what communities like this are for.

Thanks! Alright, one last question before I start my pep: What scaling method did you use? I was thinking this link: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php?t=25588 method 1 using the reference pic from the beginning of your post, but I was wondering if you have a specific way you did it? I just want to make sure I don't waste my time pepping a helmet that won't fit.

Thanks! Alright, one last question before I start my pep: What scaling method did you use? I was thinking this link: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php?t=25588 method 1 using the reference pic from the beginning of your post, but I was wondering if you have a specific way you did it? I just want to make sure I don't waste my time pepping a helmet that won't fit.

To scale most of my armour pieces I measured the dimensions of my body in the areas where armour needed to be, based on a folder full of reference pictures, then resized the models appropriately in pepakura. I also tried to get them to be similar in size to the game, so some pieces were made a bit bigger than they needed to be so that they would look right.
For example, with the helmet I measured the three dimensions of my head and noted how far my eyes are from my chin. I then scaled the helmet so that it would fit the general dimensions of my head but also have the visor line up at eye level.

To scale most of my armour pieces I measured the dimensions of my body in the areas where armour needed to be, based on a folder full of reference pictures, then resized the models appropriately in pepakura. I also tried to get them to be similar in size to the game, so some pieces were made a bit bigger than they needed to be so that they would look right.
For example, with the helmet I measured the three dimensions of my head and noted how far my eyes are from my chin. I then scaled the helmet so that it would fit the general dimensions of my head but also have the visor line up at eye level.

Do you think you could send me those reference pictures, at least for the helmet?

Edit: I found my own reference pics to use, but how many centimeters should I add to my height for padding?

Do you think you could send me those reference pictures, at least for the helmet?

Edit: I found my own reference pics to use, but how many centimeters should I add to my height for padding?

I found that once I had lined up my eye level with the visor it already had a few centimeters to spare above my head, so I didn't really have to worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back