Pepakura Take #1... What I've learned..

Status
Not open for further replies.

RomanW

Word Up 405th!

A few weeks ago I decided to do what I have been wanting to do ever since the first Halo.. Build a sweet replica helmet. I had heard of 405th before and became a member a few weeks ago, and man, what an awesome community with a wealth of knowledge and support!

After reading a bit, and doing a little bit of research on this 'pepakura' thing I had never heard about, I said "Lets do it!". So I chose both the JFO and the CQB helmets to try, the JFO being first.

The process with the JFO taught me a lot, and I hope I can help other newbies with this too. Assuming that you've already picked out what you're going to be doing, here's some things that have helped me :)
IMG_1948.JPG

#1 - Do research on the particular file you are using.. Has the Author built it? Has anyone else built it??

I learned this the hard way. If I would have looked and seen if the author had built it, I would see all of the up and downs that they had with using it. I would have avoided scaling issues (My JFO is sway too small..), and learned about certain tips and tricks that helped the process from start to finish (pattern changes, building/designing supports, etc.). Another key thing is seeing everyone else' input, and if they have built using this design also.

#2 - The extra work put in at the start pays off BIG TIME in the end.

Let's admit it.. pepakura can be a pain in the rear sometimes (more or less often for others), but trust me, the more time you take and the more attention to detail (cuts, folds, pre-assembly, etc.) done at the start will help immensely as that helmet comes together. Now, I haven't done any foam work yet, and I can't speak to that. I'm sure there are tonnes of people who could chime in about that, and they are welcome to do so (or search it up, there are a bunch of threads on it)! Again, research, research, research! Read about the different pep techniques and tricks. I read one thread where it was shared by Iceman29 to use an x-acto knife to help make clean folds. Brilliant. Check it out here http://www.405th.com/showthread.php?t=1368. Just even this one tip has helped my pep be easier to work with, and made a huge difference on the outcome quality of this helmet.

#3 - Organize the Parts.

I'm a Motorcycle Mechanic by trade, and I am just super anal about organization with my parts. So naturally this transferred over to this project. Laying out the parts in their proper orientation, or pairing them with others that they go with saves time, cuts down on frustration, and your eyes from going cross-eyed while trying to find those numbers that match up to the piece that you're holding..

Getting acquainted with where they go also helps. I had to use the 3d model sometimes to see where they go on the helmet, and that helped to notice shapes that go together. (except for the rear.. I couldn't rotate the model, so I had to wing it.)

#4 - Build from the Top > Down, and Be Symmetrical.

End with the neck, that way you're not fighting with trying to assemble the crown of the lid, contorting your hands or borrowing someone else's to do so. Also, I found it helpful to build the helmet symmetrically. Attach the same piece on either side (If applicable), and then move on to the next piece(s).

#5 - Pre-Assemble Pieces that Attach to Themselves.

In the case of the JFO the rear section had some pretty tricky parts the formed the 'base of the skull'. There were two pieces to this area, I assembled one as I put the helmet together, and the other piece separate of the helmet, and then attached it. It was much easier the second time, because I didn't have to fight with the small bits while trying to fight a helmet pulling at my pep joints..

#6 - Take a Break.

Been sitting for hours gluing? Going cross eyed? Getting frustrated?

Stop. Put down the paper, and take a breather. Pwn some buddies in Halo, drink some water, go outside, do something to get your mind off of the project and refresh yourself. Nothing hurts a project more than me getting frustrated or impatient, and then cutting corners, or compromising on quality for quantity while building. That happened with this project.. and I am not happy with it as a result. Take care of yourself first. Remember it's just paper/foam/what-ever-you're-using.. Own it, don't let it own you. :p

#7 - Have Fun.

Enjoy the process, talk about it, post it on here! Imagine how friggin sweet your lid is going to look when you're done, and remind your buds how much better yours will be compared to theirs :)

Well, that's about it for me. I hope this is helpful to someone on here, and I want to thank everyone on here for being a part of building a great community. Keep up the good work!

I'm going to go build my CQB now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back