pepakura + tape??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enigma516

First let me say I found some great card-stock on amazon 140 lbs. It is really strong (as paper goes) and still work in my inkjet and laser printers.

Here is my question. I see a lot of people have glue preferences when assembling there pep armor. However I have not seen many people talk about using tape or many videos talking about tape. Does using tape cause a problem when I go to rondo / fiberglass it? is that why people do not use it? Or is it also just a matter of preference?

Thanks again for all the great information and for all the help and inspiration you have all provided.

Does using tape cause a problem when I go to rondo / fiberglass it?
Basically, the adhesive used with tape isn't strong enough to provide a long lasting bond, and it doesn't stand up too well once you get to the resin/rondo/fibreglass stage.

Most of us just use superglue or a suitable alternative, because the adhesive will permeate the cardstock, and allow a strong, lasting bond, which is essential.

OK so If I only use a small amount of tape to help me hold some of the curves while I glue most of the joints I should be ok? I do not have to worry about the resin falling off the tape or not sticking?

I wouldn't recommend using tape at all - most fibreglass resins eat away at the adhesive, and your work will fall apart during the hardening stage. It's also bad news if you're using it as a stop-gap when assembling your work, since any tape you're able to remove likely won't have the grip you need to hold your pieces in place while you glue them more permanently - conversely, a strong tape will damage your build when you try to remove it.

As blackout11c has said: your best option is to use some sort of traditional adhesive, something that will soak into the fibres of your cardstock and hold firm. I personally use UHU All Purpose adhesive, which comes in an easy-to-spot yellow-and-black tube, but any other solvent-based glue will also work the best. If you're not so keen on working with solvent-based adhesives, there are solvent-free contact adhesives as well, or you could even work using hot glue. Practically, the sky is the limit for glue types - find something that you're able to work with efficiently, that has a reasonably fast set time, but also allows you a few seconds to re-position your work before it holds things fast.

We have a beginner's guide to the Pepakura process available to download HERE - this tutorial covers most glue types, as well as their advantages and disadvantages in more detail.

Good luck with your build regardless, and I hope to see good work from you soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
i like using elmers glue and a small paint brush its a bit more forgiving and little more work time so that if you need to realign a piece you can

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back