Pepakure Gaming Pod For Serious Gamers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh one more thing yes I also Have a.d.h.d. as well as intermitent explosive disorder I got into tattooing to kind of help calm me down, but i found out it was my kids that would make me the calmest my oldest turn 18 sunday and she is a girl so you can imagine my stress level and grey hairs lol

ok im was just going over the lengths for this project and i can say only one thing
This will not work.
The probelem is that the project is TOO big the whole project will collapse before you have even finished. This simply cannot be done with pepakura as 110lb cardstock is too flimsy and as u get thicker card the project will be come un workable. and if u do go ahead with this project the shear weight of the card stock will warp the entire project.

Im not trying to put you down or give unconstructive critasism but plz think over your idea u may be able to get some help with the cutting of the wood

O Malley said:
I know you probably have your mind set on pep but here is a few alternatives.

A. Get two blocks of styrofoam (one block being the dimensions of the lower half and vice versa), carve out the shape in each block, then paper machea the shell. Remove the styrofoam and you will have a gaming pod.

B. Do the same thing as A only use polyurethane foam, so you can fiberglass the shell. (resin eats styrofoam for breakfast)

C. Scratch build out of cardboard, then fiberglass.

D. Although not a good idea, steal one. ;)

Hope these ideas give you more insight because making a pep version would be a bad idea for large scale models.

That's silly. If Fibreglass wont hold his weight, you think paper mache will?

adventSpartanMatrix said:
ok im was just going over the lengths for this project and i can say only one thing
This will not work.
The probelem is that the project is TOO big the whole project will collapse before you have even finished. This simply cannot be done with pepakura as 110lb cardstock is too flimsy and as u get thicker card the project will be come un workable. and if u do go ahead with this project the shear weight of the card stock will warp the entire project.

Im not trying to put you down or give unconstructive critasism but plz think over your idea u may be able to get some help with the cutting of the wood

1) Learn to spell.
2) READ before posting, to be truthful, it can be done, saying it will Collapse under its own weight is a silly theory, as he said in the posts before yours that he will be building it in sections.

At first I thought it was a silly idea to be honest, but you seem to have changed my mind.
This guy has a plan, he knows what he is doing, and anything we say wont change that obviously, and that's something we should respect, not criticize.

If you're building it in parts, and you use ALOT of support struts to make sure the pieces remain the same shape, Then I think it is possible.

He Has a job.
He Has Access to all the equipment needed.
He Has EXPERIENCE with all the equipment needed.
He Has ALOT of spare time.
And He Has the will to go through with such a large project.

If you're 100% willing to try this then I'm with you. I believe you can make a good gaming pod, with a bit of research and money he could make this no problem. You've changed my mind quite a bit. All you need to do is research other peoples projects, see how they went ahead and reinforced it.

I'm happy that you are going to try this no matter what other people convince you to do.

If you need ANY Help, Guidance, Assistance, Be sure to PM me, I'll be happy to help.

-Stig

Last edited by a moderator:
Vampyredh said:
Ok once again I understand that you guys think scratch building is the way to go, But I repeat I want to do this the pep way as far as the pods I have seen all over the net and mind you doing it on dial up is very hard work since dial up is the only thing available in my area I dont care about the brain frying I live in Conway North carolina across the street from a 1000 acre cotton farm the nearest home depot is and hour and a half drive from me and I like the pep idea because i dont waste gas and money buying 1 inch trim sticks just to mess up and have to go back and buy more as far as skinning it I have my own plans for that I just want someone to unfold a model for me not advice on how to do it. once again thank you for your opinion on what you would do but since I have nothing but boredom around me at all times and cant even game online I want to do this my way

Oh and by the way I have to check this site on dial up can you imagine how long I sit just to look at the absolutely wonderful pics you guy upload. I keep coming back because I have lots of ideas and cant wait to hear you guys ideas but at this point my idea is what I want to do And I have to say even if i have to wait untill i have time to figure pep out along with figuring out 3ds max on my own it will be 20 years before I get anything done lol

Ok, I'm sorry, but you only have two punctuation marks in that whole thing. It makes it hard to read when you don't have periods.

pep won't work for this kind of project I'd say. You will probably end up using over a thousand sheets of cardstock (**** that!)

Best regards,
Mike

I'd have to say that I'm with Stig on this one. Forum members need to support other forum members in their projects and aspirations. Just because it's never happened before doesn't mean it can't; look at practically every major discovery to have ever occurred.

And especially guys "READ before posting...". Don't post if you don't know the whole story. Vampyredh answered practically all the questions that have been asked so far in the first page. Enough of this "you need tonnes of time!". Either you didn't read the whole thread and just want your piece of meat, or you are telling him that he actually DOESN'T have enough time. Point made.

Besides, this sounds awesome! I wish I had a gaming pod, although I'd probably make mine out of metal^-^ Keep letting us know how things go! Maybe post some more plans and specs? I got really excited when I read about the screens and lights and fans.

My nerdy heart weeps :D

The Stig said:
That's silly. If Fibreglass wont hold his weight, you think paper mache will?
1) Learn to spell.
2) READ before posting, to be truthful, it can be done, saying it will Collapse under its own weight is a silly theory, as he said in the posts before yours that he will be building it in sections.

At first I thought it was a silly idea to be honest, but you seem to have changed my mind.
This guy has a plan, he knows what he is doing, and anything we say wont change that obviously, and that's something we should respect, not criticize.

If you're building it in parts, and you use ALOT of support struts to make sure the pieces remain the same shape, Then I think it is possible.

He Has a job.
He Has Access to all the equipment needed.
He Has EXPERIENCE with all the equipment needed.
He Has ALOT of spare time.
And He Has the will to go through with such a large project.

If you're 100% willing to try this then I'm with you. I believe you can make a good gaming pod, with a bit of research and money he could make this no problem. You've changed my mind quite a bit. All you need to do is research other peoples projects, see how they went ahead and reinforced it.

I'm happy that you are going to try this no matter what other people convince you to do.

If you need ANY Help, Guidance, Assistance, Be sure to PM me, I'll be happy to help.

-Stig

For starters don't point out my spelling mistake (as this is rude mainly due to the fact that i am partly dislexic) and secondly even if he does build in sections unless he reinforces the structure with some thing hard(like wood) plus he has not specified where the sections will connect so i was working on the available data which says it WILL colapse under it's own weight so why don't you read before posting next time

seems like a good idea to me. just remember no one can tell you that you can't. anything is possible whether they like it or not.

For starters don't point out my spelling mistake (as this is rude mainly due to the fact that i am partly dislexic) and secondly even if he does build in sections unless he reinforces the structure with some thing hard(like wood) plus he has not specified where the sections will connect so i was working on the available data which says it WILL colapse under it's own weight so why don't you read before posting next time

I'm sorry, how long have you been here? How much progress have you made in Pepakura? Probably 5 Files maximum, and you're already having problems with the hardener.

I have READ before posting, in fact I have read every post of this topic. And NOTHING on here reinforces your theory you just came up with. So don't tell me to Read before posting when:
1) I already Have
2) You don't even know what you're talking about

Pepakura is used as a BASE for the item you will be producing, not the actual item, even with minor warpage it will be fixed with bondo (or whatever substance he will be using).

You seem to be forgetting CAR BODIES are made from fibreglass. Sure It's expensive to make it that hard, but this guy has no problems with money as he already stated. Are you saying a car body cant hold somebody's weight?

Its 100% possible. You just don't understand The properties of Fibreglass, and the concept of building in sections with support struts.

Oh, and don't try and make me apologize with your "Dyslexia". Quite frankly. All internet browsers come installed with a spell checker. They just need to be activated. So Dyslexia is no excuse on the internet.

Instead of getting angry about it, why don't you ask the OP what his plans are? His thread remember, don't spam it with angry non-topic-related comments. We all do it, but let's cut it out eh?

This is more along the lines of what should be said:

"Vampyredh, I'm a little skeptical about the reinforcement but am curious as to your intended solution. What are your plans to address the problem?"

I was going to ask this anyway:)

Ok for starts on my supports I plan on building this pod to be about 4 to 5 feet high and 6 to 8 foot long depending on how I manage using 3ds max since I have no 3d modeling history.

as far as structure is concerned I plan on using at least ten exterior pieces and 15 interior pieces once again this depends on what design I come up with. Each section will either be butterfly nutted together or pop riveted depending on the size and the permanence of it, (if that is a word lol) most of the structure made with pep will be only skinning because as I build sections I will be able to determine which areas will need more glass or even 1x1 support beams. I once thought about cutting the front end of a lancer to make this and metal is to heavy to move. If I ever leave this country area I want to be able to break the pod down in just a few easy steps so I have it wherever I decide to go. most of the pod will only be skin the main areas that need support are the seating area the monitor stand which I may just use a projector and make it fill the whole front end. And the area for the ac, No one would be lame enough to try and sit on a persons gaming pod without permission so the skinning is what the pep model is for (I.E. the interior side walls the control panel and the exterior shell) but alas people can doubt it is their right.

I will however say this people once told me I cant tattoo because I have tourettes but managed to do it long enough and well enough to buy a house three cars and land doing it not to mention finance my new car stereo business so when people say I can't do something it leads me to believe they think they can't so no one else can either. So we will see if I can or not. I know it will take me at least a year because I still have to learn 3ds max just to blueprint it I would draw it but would still have to learn to model it just to make the pep lol

So to all please don't fight over my project lets just see what happens and hope this one time I beat another challenge so one day people can come play in it and have a good time.

ok i hate to be the one to really rain on your fair, Vampyredh, but Pepakura will only allow for a 200cm tall item. so i will unfold it but it may not turn out as large as you want it. and to all the naysayers get off his fing case.

Air_Force_Spartans said:
ok i hate to be the one to really rain on your fair, Vampyredh, but Pepakura will only allow for a 200cm tall item. so i will unfold it but it may not turn out as large as you want it. and to all the naysayers get off his fing case.

That's 2 metres.
I plan on building this pod to be about 4 to 5 feet high

6ft is a lot smaller than 2 metres. That shouldn't be a problem.

The Stig said:
That's 2 metres.
6ft is a lot smaller than 2 metres. That shouldn't be a problem.

Smaller than 6 ft by exactly 6 inches. Remember that a meter is ~39 inches. Another thing, Polyurethane Foam (or Great Stuff as it's known in the construction industry) will come in handy when it comes to filling the hollow sections. This will work if it is unfolded by the cross section with supports, filled with great stuff, and then assembled together section by section. I'd personally recommend 6" sections as this will allow for maximum curability with the expanding foam. The supports could be incredibly minimal, closet poles could work and I think, even with your tourettes, you should be able to use a standard crosscut handsaw to cut the lengths needed. An even easier way to do this project would be to just get 5 shop vacs and create a $200 vacuuformer (you could carve pink foam sections with a razor blade) that would allow for somewhere between a 1 to 3 piece build. As sheet plastic comes in standard 4' x 8' uncut sections you should have no trouble doing this. Except you would have to rig up a few ovens together to give yourself a heating source that was big enough to do this.

For the "window" that the model follows, I would definitely recommend vacuuforming, or adjusting the design to accommodate an aircraft canopy as this would be ready made.

OR​

For $1599 you could call sharper image, order their polycarbonate kayak, cut it in half (find a friend with access to a big damn saw to do it for you), create a rear section with pep, fiberglass, and expanding foam, use one half open side up as the bottom, fasten it to the rear, and hinge and pneumo-piston (like what you find on the tailgates of hatchback cars) the top so that it opens and closes easily, pep spiculum-like models for the openings between the kayak parts, mirror tint the inside surfaces of the kayak, and call it f***in ' done for a lot less hassle then trying to pep the whole thing and this way you'd use maybe 7 packs of cardstock instead of 20.

A Photo of the kayak I mentioned, It's built for 2 people so it'll definitely work for your pod:
51ree9pnxgl__ss400_.jpg

I think it's a great idea. I wish you the best in this endeavor. Building in sections is the only way you can make this work with pep. Make sure you use lots of supports. I'll keep an eye on this for your progress.

Off Topic: Stop the bickering. If you aren't in here to support this member and his project, stay out. Be nice or go home. You want to argue with each other - take it to PMs.

Off my soapbox.

I love that kayak thats pretty cool looking never have seen a clear one before. the great stuff wonder foam was actually a great idea i thought about using it, but wasn't sure if I would get the desired results seeing how I have used it before to creat new dash sections in cars to hold monitors a far as vacuuforming I thought about that as well the 501st does most of the storm trooper armor that way but i figure I am better off building the pod in sections and will need to build the sections first in order to make the mold. So I think I will just either build the pod in sections the glass it and body in all my extra details or will just leave the outside smooth. The thing that reayy got me to want to do this is my wife and kids made me sit down with them and watch a movie called meet the fockers and through enduring this awful movie the guy had an r.v. with a hidden computer/mission ops center stashed under the bed in the r.v. and i thought that was really cool.

thanks for all the advice guys you are giving me great ideas on how and what I want to do building this thing

I for one think that it is a great idea and I want to see it work. And from everything that I have gathered Vamp you got a plan an idea in your head, so dude run with it. I wish I knew anything about unfolding, or I would help you out with this.

I know you are going to hit several bumps along the road and it isn't going to turn out as you planned 100%, but I am also entirely sure that whatever problems you do encounter, I know you will beat them hands down.

I wont even offer up any suggestions since I know you already have a clear plan on what you want to do Vamp. So the only thing I will say is, KEEP US UPDATED! I want to see pics or at least hear of updates because this sounds awsome when it is finally finished.

Vampyredh said:
I love that kayak thats pretty cool looking never have seen a clear one before. the great stuff wonder foam was actually a great idea i thought about using it, but wasn't sure if I would get the desired results seeing how I have used it before to creat new dash sections in cars to hold monitors a far as vacuuforming I thought about that as well the 501st does most of the storm trooper armor that way but i figure I am better off building the pod in sections and will need to build the sections first in order to make the mold. So I think I will just either build the pod in sections the glass it and body in all my extra details or will just leave the outside smooth. The thing that reayy got me to want to do this is my wife and kids made me sit down with them and watch a movie called meet the fockers and through enduring this awful movie the guy had an r.v. with a hidden computer/mission ops center stashed under the bed in the r.v. and i thought that was really cool.

thanks for all the advice guys you are giving me great ideas on how and what I want to do building this thing

I used Great Stuff to cover the inside back of my MKVI torso so that I could drive with my armor on. Sitting back in the chair probably would've crushed a simple fiberglass/bondo model so I had to reinforce the hell out of it. Made it a lot more comfy too. Also used it to fill up the pep handplates so that I wouldn't have to bondo them.

Great Stuff should hold your weight with some support across the major axis of the project. I might reccommend to you that once you have the model done to take a heat gun and some 1/2" thick acrylic and warp it to the inside surfaces of the sections that will immediately take your weight. They'd also provide a platform for the [wood] supports to connect to and you could still fill the inside with expanding foam to take your weight. Another good advantage of these thick acrylic plates is that they will disperse your weight along the cured foam evenly as they are solid and would move as a solid piece over the top of the foam, if they moved at all, which they shouldn't if you have the fiberglass shell thick enough (double layer it).

now that we have some more info on how your constructing it and how your supporting.

i reackon this will work and should look pretty cool
only thing is im not sure if the projector is a good idea because of the stationary background in most games it will damage the lens if you play for too long a period. The only other probelem is the pep designers length limit so you will have to work it in a lot more peices

only thing is im not sure if the projector is a good idea because of the stationary background in most games it will damage the lens if you play for too long a period.

There are gaming projectors that can prevent this from happening. Costs probably the same as a regular one.

Are you planning to put the projector INSIDE the pod to project onto some sort of canvas at the front of the whole pod?

yeah i was thinking about the canopy being solid with a drop/square insert paint with an off white maybe greyish silkscreening textile ink for better pictue instead of using just white

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back