Pepakure Gaming Pod For Serious Gamers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vampyredh

Ok I need some help, I am looking for someone to do an unflod on a life size gaming pod I am designing I neither have the knowledge nor the time to do the unfolding, but once it is done everyone is welcome to the pepakura files If anyone is interested in helping with the unfold either send me a message or a pm and i will gladly send the files.

Are you trying to make like a 6 or 7 foot long pep model? Im not sure if pepakura is the right medium for this type of project.

its going to be about 5 foot tall and 6 foot long if not a little longer depending on layout as far as building from scratch I dont want to build it from scratch because I want it as light as possible and only use resing and glas and such so it is able moved easily seing how I go on the road quite a bit it would be better if it was light weight and able to be taken apart and put together quickly with a few butterfly nuts but I do understand the easier part but scratch building with wood and such isnt anywhere as cheap as cardstock.

The model might be a good way to go to get scaling ideas, but beyond that I would have to agree with Major, building a 6 foot pep model could be nearly brain frying ;) So I would recommend giving a scratch build some thought, think about unique ways you could build a pod like this from scratch that wouldn't involve too much hassel and would still be cheap. I've found that when you think outside the box you'd be amazed at what you can come up with! ;) And also this is a pretty cool tutorial about this kind of thing in case you wanted to take a look at it: http://www.instructables.com/id/%5bVideo%5...aking---Part-I/

Best of luck!

Ok once again I understand that you guys think scratch building is the way to go, But I repeat I want to do this the pep way as far as the pods I have seen all over the net and mind you doing it on dial up is very hard work since dial up is the only thing available in my area I dont care about the brain frying I live in Conway North carolina across the street from a 1000 acre cotton farm the nearest home depot is and hour and a half drive from me and I like the pep idea because i dont waste gas and money buying 1 inch trim sticks just to mess up and have to go back and buy more as far as skinning it I have my own plans for that I just want someone to unfold a model for me not advice on how to do it. once again thank you for your opinion on what you would do but since I have nothing but boredom around me at all times and cant even game online I want to do this my way

Oh and by the way I have to check this site on dial up can you imagine how long I sit just to look at the absolutely wonderful pics you guy upload. I keep coming back because I have lots of ideas and cant wait to hear you guys ideas but at this point my idea is what I want to do And I have to say even if i have to wait untill i have time to figure pep out along with figuring out 3ds max on my own it will be 20 years before I get anything done lol

Vampyredh said:
Ok once again I understand that you guys think scratch building is the way to go, But I repeat I want to do this the pep way as far as the pods I have seen all over the net and mind you doing it on dial up is very hard work since dial up is the only thing available in my area I dont care about the brain frying I live in Conway North carolina across the street from a 1000 acre cotton farm the nearest home depot is and hour and a half drive from me and I like the pep idea because i dont waste gas and money buying 1 inch trim sticks just to mess up and have to go back and buy more as far as skinning it I have my own plans for that I just want someone to unfold a model for me not advice on how to do it. once again thank you for your opinion on what you would do but since I have nothing but boredom around me at all times and cant even game online I want to do this my way

Oh and by the way I have to check this site on dial up can you imagine how long I sit just to look at the absolutely wonderful pics you guy upload. I keep coming back because I have lots of ideas and cant wait to hear you guys ideas but at this point my idea is what I want to do And I have to say even if i have to wait untill i have time to figure pep out along with figuring out 3ds max on my own it will be 20 years before I get anything done lol

That sucks that you're stuck with 56K.

I could unfold it small (3 ft) and then scale it up to 7 ft. But you're probably talking around 7 reams of cardstock and 18 months of build time! PM me for details.

Last edited by a moderator:
and as far as pep is concerned i sit here everyday and build pep cause i am bored I have built iron man chest and for arms iron man helmet eod helmet hyabusa chest mkvi thighs greaves mkvi shoulders and forearms all this week alone my camera broke last month and had to send it off to fuji to get fixed when it comes back i will put up the pics I guess with tourettes and insomnia I have more then my fair share of time lmao and yes I really have tourettes feel free to learn about it at anytime I will answer all questions

I don't think a pep model that big would even stay up, it would collapse under its own weight. I also don't think you could strengthen it enough with Resin. Even to do that would take hundreds and maybe thousands of dollars worth of Resin, Cardstock, Glue, and Fiberglass.

I know you want to do pep, but building it out of wood or something else workable would be much more plausible and much cheaper. You've got the time on your hands, some woodworking should be fun! Just get some good blueprints going and you'll have a good idea of how much wood you'll need.

Ok just to clarify things for everyones sake so I dont have to keep saying I will NOT build it out of wood I have tourettes syndrome I was forced to retire from the tattooing world because of the twitches it causes me as I get older now add tourettes with tools that cut and tools the put holes in things not a good combination I lost the use of three fingers for two years trying my hand at wood working with tourettes and a table saw so I will not be building this out of wood and as far as thousands of dollars thats fine this isnt for me to just build and sit in it will be my entire enjoyment since all i do now is sit at my desk and play games and read when i travel it is to go to tourettes doctors not to hang out so i want an escape from reality resin will be fine my plan is to build it in sections that can be assembled to form the pod I have one hell of a comp but very little 3d expirience what i do have I taught myself from sitting in front of my machine because i was bored I am burnt out on reading I am burnt out on playing games in the same chair day in and day out it will be an adventure to rival my military days so please understand I am doing this my way for the challenge not for the ease and definately not out of wood with power tools

Vampyredh said:
Ok just to clarify things for everyones sake so I don't have to keep saying I will NOT build it out of wood I have tourettes syndrome I was forced to retire from the tattooing world because of the twitches it causes me as I get older now add tourettes with tools that cut and tools the put holes in things not a good combination I lost the use of three fingers for two years trying my hand at wood working with tourettes and a table saw so I will not be building this out of wood and as far as thousands of dollars thats fine this isn't for me to just build and sit in it will be my entire enjoyment since all i do now is sit at my desk and play games and read when i travel it is to go to tourettes doctors not to hang out so i want an escape from reality resin will be fine my plan is to build it in sections that can be assembled to form the pod I have one hell of a comp but very little 3d experience what i do have I taught myself from sitting in front of my machine because i was bored I am burnt out on reading I am burnt out on playing games in the same chair day in and day out it will be an adventure to rival my military days so please understand I am doing this my way for the challenge not for the ease and definitely not out of wood with power tools

Understood. If you do it in sections it might be a little more plausible to build, but I still don't know how Resin will hold up. You might be able to experiment with it, but to be safe I'd look to see if there's something better you could use for support.

If you can pull this off it'll probably be the first successful large scale pep model. :)

oh I will pull it off where there's a will theres a way, as far as the first large scale pep that will only happen if i can get someone to help me with the model and unfold lol but i will do it i have never given up on a project I tattood with tourettes and made a hell of a living before I started to twitch enough for it to do injustice to my artwork and no i didnt screw up anyones tattoos I knew when enough was enough

I can tell that you're dedicated and that's a good thing! :) Best of luck with this build dude, I give you some major props for doing things like this with your hands if you have bad tourette's syndrome. I kinda know what you're going through because I have tourette's too! ;) I was diagnosed with it in third grade, and know how hard it is for people to understand what it's like without them thinking you're weird or freaky for twitching all the time. Not sure what your ticks are, but regardless, it must have taken some time to learn how to build pepakura with your condition! I give you major commendations and hope you're able to accomplish your goal. Good luck man! :)

if you send me the file i will try to unfold it
plz note im not the most brilliant with pep designer so bear that in mind

p.s torettues is the one were u swear uncontrloably isn't it?

adventSpartanMatrix said:
if you send me the file i will try to unfold it
plz note im not the most brilliant with pep designer so bear that in mind

p.s torettues is the one were u swear uncontrloably isn't it?

If you don't know then you don't have it. I noticed that as soon as you said it. You probably mean attention deficit disorder (ADD).

Dude, LISTEN to these people. This sort of project just IS NOT viable for a Pepakura project, for the reasons below:

- Too expensive
- Too time-consuming
- Too easily wrecked

The materials alone would set you back a fair few THOUSAND dollars. The total build time would be well into the tens of months, and while I admire your willpower, that's far too long to be spending on a pep piece. As well as that: fibreglass and pep just isn't built to support someone's weight.

Seriously consider the project you're talking about here: it's just not a reasonable project to be undertaking using the methods you want. Go work out some decent methods for constructing this in MDF or something similar, then come back and I'll help draw up some plans for you.

Crucible said:
If you don't know then you don't have it. I noticed that as soon as you said it. You probably mean attention deficit disorder (ADD).

Dude, LISTEN to these people. This sort of project just IS NOT viable for a Pepakura project, for the reasons below:

- Too expensive
- Too time-consuming
- Too easily wrecked

The materials alone would set you back a fair few THOUSAND dollars. The total build time would be well into the tens of months, and while I admire your willpower, that's far too long to be spending on a pep piece. As well as that: fibreglass and pep just isn't built to support someone's weight.

Seriously consider the project you're talking about here: it's just not a reasonable project to be undertaking using the methods you want. Go work out some decent methods for constructing this in MDF or something similar, then come back and I'll help draw up some plans for you.

That guy isn't the guy who created the thread...And if he wants to do it. let him do it. He's said he didn't care about time or money. I'm not sure what he feels about the materials, but thats a whole nother story.

Seriously?

Pep?

Ok, I know you don't want to scratch build this. but for something you will actually be sitting inside of, and holding your own body weight, as well as the padding and all of the structures so it works as a comfortable pod.

You expect pep to work?
Fibreglass may be strong, but no way is it strong enough to hold all of that weight and pressure,you would need a ridiculous amount of fibreglass, which not only would be expensive, it would take AGES to cure, and give off Deadly fumes. Use wood, or something wore reliable, or get an old bed and work around it with cardboard, then fibreglass it and bondo it. That way you're not relying on the fibreglass to hold you up. Plus, I don't know what that is at the top, a window of some sort? Well if it is good luck finding something that will fit. If you scratch build, you can build AROUND a ready made window, so everything fits perfectly.

In my opinion the whole thing is a silly idea. But if you're willing to take this seriously, the last thing you're going to want is a Poisonous, Smelly, Unstable, Tacky gaming pod. If you're going to take this seriously, take our advice, Scratch build. Pep will never work.

EDIT:
Ok, I just researched this thread some more, I understand you cant work with wood, which is fair enough. But I am sure you have friends or family who can help, Anyway, I'm sure you could come up with some good theory, but pep is DEFINITELY not the way to go. Even if you are good at it. I was interested in something like this a long time ago. I was interested in making a Cyro-Tube (The pod Master Chief climbs out of in Halo 1), After research I realized Woodwork, Or metalwork was the way to go, And being Young and still at school. I couldn't really find the kind of equipment and resources for that. So instead of trying pepakura, or Coming up with some crazy theory, I let it go and tried something else. If you cant find a good, Half decent way of making it, then don't make it at all. I'm telling you this for your own good.

I may sound like an Ass to you for saying this stuff. but I'm trying to help, I don't want you to waste a lot of cash and time on something that wont simply work.

Ok buddy there are many things wrong with what you want to do and i understand that you wan this and that you are bored but listen.
1. i dont think you can make anything bigger than a few feet in pep so there is one problme
2. you are going to need about 2000 sheets of cardstock to make that that is A LOT not to mention the cost of ink and the fact that printing out that much 110 lb cardstock will probably kill your printer
3. the cost of resin on the for that would be enormous it would cost many times what it would for wood
you would need several gallons of resin(thats my guess) which would cost several hundred dollars and require you to go to the homedepot several hours away you would also need around 20 sq. feet of fiberglass cloth or more
4. the whole project would cost hundreds and probably take years to make
5. you would need to get padding to sit on and even then it would be that comfy
6. you would probably need wood supports for it to support you weight anyway that or use like 5 layers of glass which would increase the cost of everything above A LOT
7. you could buy a gaming pod for a reasonable price

If you are really that bored you should find another hobby or make smaller more reasonable stuff like armor. Try making props and such too. It sounds like you made a lot this week alone you can try and make a full suit or two for fun. From what you said it sounds like you are doing this because you are bored it isnt worth it to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars to make a gaming pod.
I highly recommend you make something else but you dont have to listen to me you can do what you want but keep in mind all that we have said people on this forum know what they are doing and have experience with this stuff it takes people months to make a helmets so LISTEN

I know you probably have your mind set on pep but here is a few alternatives.

A. Get two blocks of styrofoam (one block being the dimensions of the lower half and vice versa), carve out the shape in each block, then paper machea the shell. Remove the styrofoam and you will have a gaming pod.

B. Do the same thing as A only use polyurethane foam, so you can fiberglass the shell. (resin eats styrofoam for breakfast)

C. Scratch build out of cardboard, then fiberglass.

D. Although not a good idea, steal one. ;)

Hope these ideas give you more insight because making a pep version would be a bad idea for large scale models.

Once again thank you everyone for your responses and suggestions but one comment in the post made me want to do it more and that is it can't be done,

as far as the money and printer is concerned I have 12 or 13 printers at last count so I don’t mind blowing a few up lol card stock is nothing as far as 2000 sheets I don’t think it will be that much maybe 1000 at most since most of the parts are square.

Foam was a good suggestion but foam block are a pain in the rear to get shipped and I don’t want to wait for more to come if I mess up.

My goal is to make this pod almost like a cockpit of sorts and I plan on building it in sections so I know its going to take some time oh well all I got is time since I sit at my desk almost 12 hours a day.

resin and glass don’t cost me as much as others because I own a car stereo business and get it in 10 gallon barrels glass cloth is 3 buck for an 8 x 8 sheet 300 sheets and I am good. I can’t get most of my supplies wholesale and I am going to add some pretty cool stuff,

A few ideas for it are making it completely enclosed with a small window ac unit with some led lights for lighting,
I am going to mount four rear view car cameras on it so I can see whets going on outside as well as two monitors outside and two cameras inside so people can watch what’s happening inside this is a big plan and I plan on spending close to two years building it I wanted to do it in pep cause my wife wont let me use power tool except a drill due to an unfortunate table saw accident and tourettes. So pep would be hard yes but it’s all I got right now.

and besides some one said it would be the first huge pep project that makes it more of a challenge and as the other guy in here has said with tourettes challenges are what we have know our whole life what is another challenge but something to prove I can do when people said it cant be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back