Phauxelates's Mk. VI EVA Foam Build [Project Status: Done! New build thread link on my profile]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, continuing this thread...

Give me all of your ideas and criticism of how I could make my armor better, and don't hold back. I want to become the best I can at this, so I want to hear ideas about anything ranging from painting/weathering to making a whole new armor piece that I can improve on my current build.

So, throw your ideas at me! (I'll be sure to duck.)
Rebuild the whole thing...? The more practice you do the better you get and the better you will do! (Just give me the old suit)

Rebuild the whole thing...? The more practice you do the better you get and the better you will do!

Currently, I'm wanting to learn what I can fix before starting a whole new project and making those same mistakes. In my opinion, until I get this one down real solid, there's no point in starting a new one. I will eventually make a new suit that will be better than this one using what I've learned.

(Just give me the old suit)

no lol
#rekt

I watched that video and a few of his others and might I say they are quite good! Matter of fact, I'm going to go out and print off the templates for the Battle Rifle and start tonight while I have time. I'm also planning on making that magnum from one of his videos as well. Thanks for showing me that video!

Edit: I didn't start it last night, but I will today!
I have also used DFT's templates for my Halo weapons. The thing I learned is to modify the build and not completely follow his tutorials. Some of his processes are a little unnecessary or there are much better ways to achieve the same outcome.
I first built the SOCOM
20180822_221236.jpg
A year later, I looked at it wasn't happy with it at all. So I remade it using the same templates but did things my way and made it a little more game accurate.
20180822_221247.jpg
I have use his templates for the AR and SMG as well but did not follow the tutorials.
20180830_103225.jpg

So here’s a tip with weathering, usually you can go around just about any/every edge and make it look worn in regular places that would get scrapes, and you need to ask yourself three questions

1. What is the metal it’s made of and how should a worn paint job look (old cars, trucks and military vehicles are a good source material) if it’s silvery under the paint you can add some “wear” to it with a few streaks of silver or aluminum paint on top of it. (Pistol below for ref. The silver parts have brown to give it a rusted look and the black has aluminum so that it pops out)

2. What kind of normal hazard conditions has it been through, sandstorms will wear more off than jungle crawling. You can use brown to show a bit of rust instead of or even with aluminum to get a nice wear on it. Or just glob whole heaps of mud on it to give it that fresh down in the rut look.
Andrew’s ODST armor is a nice example of this, looks like it’s really been out there hoofing it.

3. Does it have battle damage. My buddy Harry has his suit with a nice big scar across the chest where a “grunt” clawed at him, my own suit has plasma burns and bullet chunks missing out of it. Mine are pretty deep and show nice hunks of silver all over.

#3 is kind of tricky though because you can’t undo battle damage unless you make a whole new piece. So I’d keep away from that one for a bit.

Attachments

• B734C26B-4DB6-4EB2-B853-653420503A46.jpeg
    B734C26B-4DB6-4EB2-B853-653420503A46.jpeg
    981.8 KB · Views: 426
So here’s a tip with weathering, usually you can go around just about any/every edge and make it look worn in regular places that would get scrapes, and you need to ask yourself three questions.

Well, I do have weathering on it though it's hard to see in the photo (I've attached a couple photos below that shows it better). What I could do, is make the weathering more visible since you've pointed out that it's hard to see (especially from a photo). I've added it to the list!

BURST20190106094206460.PNG

BURST20190106094153758_COVER.jpg

I dont know, but I think your stomach is too exposed and the cod peice needs to come up a little more? As for weathering, I think it is always good to go over the top. I like the look of something fresh out of the factory, like a clone trooper, but I think it is better(even though you feel horrified at "ruining" your masterpiece) to weather it down ALOT. That gives it a history, a story, and meaning. It is also wqy more appealing to look at
a86b4977cc950526ac33ca25ed30876c--mandalorian-armor-bounty-hunter.jpg
images (25).jpeg
238546-11e85db79c7d75881572081c41072f52.jpg
this lazt one is from NEMES1S and he did an amazing job on his armor, covered in dirt, damage, and rust. I'm not saying you should do this or go that far, but I think it looks great and ads flare to your builds

Let me just say you guys are doing a fantastic job on giving me advice/things to work on. I appreciate it, and keep it flowing!

I think your stomach is too exposed and the cod peice needs to come up a little more?

You would be correct! I didn't notice it until you pointed it out. While posing for photos being taken, the belt that I attached the codpiece and thighs to slid down a bit without me noticing. In this photo below when I was seeing how the codpiece fit on this older photo (before the first part of weathering I did), is a much better representation of what it should be.

20181215_223304.jpg

Here the belt is about belly button height, but in my most recent photos it's at about waist height (where a belt is normally supposed to be). I'll try to figure out how to keep the belt at belly height. I'm thinking nylon strap attaching to the bottom of the chest piece? I don't know, but I'll think of something. Added to the list!

As for weathering, I think it is always good to go over the top.

I agree with you on that one. I looked at other people's builds as well and I see in their photos the weathering is much more visible. I have planned to add more weathering detail soon. Currently I'm working an a Battle Rifle prop, so after that I'll try to touch up on the paint detail such as dirt, grime, and more visible scratches.

Phauxelate it looks like your codpiece is flat and has a hard time fitting around your body, resulting in a flat 'plate'.

While very impressed with your build, I think if you could get the curve in the belt/ cod, you'd be better off.

So I guess for improvement, try curving things?

As for weathering, what I did was: nothing. None. I wore my suit 3-4 times, and then sat down with me trusty ol' silver sharpie and everywhere that was gray/ pink/ yellow got some tender loving care . Took probably 20-30 minutes, but the "damage" looks realistic because it IS real.
20190110_143514.jpg

I like your build and enthusiasm, man. Keep it up.

I think if you could get the curve in the belt/ cod, you'd be better off.

So I guess for improvement, try curving things?

Hmmmmm. Well, I could get a heat gun and curve not only the COD, but the shoulders as well. I don't have much other to say other than that. Added it to the list!

I like your build and enthusiasm, man. Keep it up.

Thanks, that means a lot! It also gives me more fuel to keep trucking on through. This is my first build, so your advice and everyone else's can only help me get better at doing what I enjoy and love!

****Small Update****

I've taken what xXDashIVXx said, and started doing the second coat of black wash. The chest, legs, and butt plate are done and the rest is yet to be done. Here's the chest piece:
BURST20190112122434979_COVER.jpg

After this black wash is done, I'll seal it and do a wash of 2 different shades of brown to add more detail and life into it

For this I have a question: If I'm to cover the whole thing in a brown (tan mixed with black) wash, should I stick with the common 1part paint 3 parts water, or increase the amount of water a bit?

BURST20190112123631656_COVER.jpg

***Small Update***

I lack someone to help take pictures, so I'll have to suffice with a mirror:

20190113 blackwash_before_after.png

One for the memers as well:
BURST20190113144747710_COVER.png

Second step is to do two more acrylic washes with dark tan and brown.

One more question: Do you guys feel like it could use a couple of brown washes?... Black is much darker than brown/tan so it could just be that I feel like it's going to just give it too much when it really won't.

----------
Also, as a side note, I dug up an old belt that is way too small for my waist that I had been saving for some reason. Turns out, my midriff is less wide than my waist, so this belt won't slide down! (Meaning the codpiece/midriff armor combo will stay snug where it is)
----------
Below are images attached for your pleasure.

Attachments

• BURST20190113144747710_COVER.jpg
    BURST20190113144747710_COVER.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 391
  • BURST20190113144815549_COVER.jpg
    BURST20190113144815549_COVER.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 401
  • BURST20190113144734425_COVER.jpg
    BURST20190113144734425_COVER.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 374
  • BURST20190106120236830_COVER.jpg
    BURST20190106120236830_COVER.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 348
Last edited:
****Small Update****

I've taken what xXDashIVXx said, and started doing the second coat of black wash. The chest, legs, and butt plate are done and the rest is yet to be done. Here's the chest piece:
View attachment 264107

After this black wash is done, I'll seal it and do a wash of 2 different shades of brown to add more detail and life into it

For this I have a question: If I'm to cover the whole thing in a brown (tan mixed with black) wash, should I stick with the common 1part paint 3 parts water, or increase the amount of water a bit?

View attachment 264108

For you BR did you include dowel(s) or pipe running through it to help it stiff instead of a wet noodle?

No, but what I've found is that when I glued the three of them together in a layer, is wasn't very flexible. For example, held it lengthwise from the end of it and it seemed pretty sturdy without sag

As for a brown was my suggestion is not to cover the entire suit like the black wash. Use it to make some spots look dirty... Or dirtier. Apply it to crevices on the boots and shins also hand plates.

Yeah, I mentioned the brown paint to a buddy of mine and he mentioned the same thing. What I don't know, is how I'll apply it. I feel like I would want to try and dry brush it on, but use a kind of makeup applicator to get a sort of "powdery/dusty" look to it by dabbing on it. I don't want to have it simply painted on, but look like it was done with an airbrush (which sadly I don't have).

If you're trying to recreate dust and dirt, saving is just fine. I think an airbrush is too fine for the nitty gritty boot dirt and residue. Dry brushing with a regular brush or even a big old hose brush will work. Then wipe away the excess with a paper towel or similar device. You'll be golden!

If you're trying to recreate dust and dirt, saving is just fine. I think an airbrush is too fine for the nitty gritty boot dirt and residue. Dry brushing with a regular brush or even a big old hose brush will work. Then wipe away the excess with a paper towel or similar device. You'll be golden!
Mix in some blended up sand and leaves with the paint (not in the container) if you want that little extra pop.

Ah, I should have been more clear. I'm thinking about adding a slight brown rustic kind of look to it on the edges, so I've bought some burnt sienna acrylic paint. Using this, how should I apply it with a brush to give it an authentic corroded look? What I'm thinking is picking up a cheap-o makeup brush, and just dap it onto the armor vertically so it gives it a lot of little rusty dots. Any other Ideas?

Ah, I should have been more clear. I'm thinking about adding a slight brown rustic kind of look to it on the edges, so I've bought some burnt sienna acrylic paint. Using this, how should I apply it with a brush to give it an authentic corroded look? What I'm thinking is picking up a cheap-o makeup brush, and just dap it onto the armor vertically so it gives it a lot of little rusty dots. Any other Ideas?
That is exactly how you do it, but try and use many layers of different colors to make it look more realistic. There also paints and metalizers with metal dust in it so you can spray a chemical on it and speed up the rising process, having actual rust on your project

The technique is called stippling and the best way to do it is with a bargain bin chip brush or a super old hard bristle toothbrush. For corrosion having a texture paint isn't a bad idea either, not that MJOLNIR would rust in the same manner as iron and steel that we're used to. If you want to go for a red/brown rust, mix some of that burnt sienna with some PVA glue and some dry, clean grit. I have a bunch of scatter flock and ballast from building miniatures but using sand or sawdust is a good option. Mix in a few oranges and browns afterwards by drybrushing and it'll look pretty rad.

upload_2019-1-14_8-48-46.jpeg

Remember though to put rust spots in realistic places! Rust likes to form in uncoated areas and places where there is structural stresses on the metal. So you'll see rust around high edges where scuff damage would remove surface coatings and in recesses where welds between plates meet at sharp angles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back