Phauxelates's Mk. VI EVA Foam Build [Project Status: Done! New build thread link on my profile]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The technique is called stippling and the best way to do it is with a bargain bin chip brush or a super old hard bristle toothbrush. For corrosion having a texture paint isn't a bad idea either, not that MJOLNIR would rust in the same manner as iron and steel that we're used to. If you want to go for a red/brown rust, mix some of that burnt sienna with some PVA glue and some dry, clean grit. I have a bunch of scatter flock and ballast from building miniatures but using sand or sawdust is a good option. Mix in a few oranges and browns afterwards by drybrushing and it'll look pretty rad.

View attachment 264381

Remember though to put rust spots in realistic places! Rust likes to form in uncoated areas and places where there is structural stresses on the metal. So you'll see rust around high edges where scuff damage would remove surface coatings and in recesses where welds between plates meet at sharp angles.

Awesome explanation! People have mentioned adding dirt and stuff, but it doesn't feel right painting on stuff from the ground onto something that is my pride and joy. I will definitely be mixing the burnt sienna with PVA glue and some sawdust from workshops around campus because it's easily obtainable.

Also, I don't have a super old bristly brush, and there's no art department on my campus... I've tried to purposely destroy one I've sacrificed by smashing it into the wall, but it's still soft and unbroken. Is there some sort of thing I can do to the brush to make it paint as if it was old? Something like not washing it after using it and allowing the acrylic paint to dry on it?

As a side note, I was been thinking about getting the makeup brush from the local store, but now it seems like that wouldn't be a good idea since the brush will still be soft and spread the paint.

Last edited:
Awesome explanation! People have mentioned adding dirt and stuff, but it doesn't feel right painting on stuff from the ground onto something that is my pride and joy. I will definitely be mixing the burnt sienna with PVA glue and some sawdust from workshops around campus because it's easily ontainable.
Are you saying dirt isnt easily ontainable? Its dirt! Who cares?! Sawdust is bad! Dirt is awesome! I'm sure Dirtdives can testify to this!

As for the chip brush, try spray painting it, then separating as many bristles as you can with your hands

Hey, yeah so I found this person who was also doing cosplay stuff on my campus, and he pointed out this one room which is locked behind a keypad. Now, I've asked many people around campus if there was a room like this, but he was the only person who knew...

20190115_170312.jpg

There's a spray painting room! (With the bonus of an airbrush)

This would have been extremely helpful before my whole build was pretty much finished, but oh well

I get to mess with the airbrush :)
.....​
(What are some things you guys know I can do with an airbrush?)

Hey, yeah so I found this person who was also doing cosplay stuff on my campus, and he pointed out this one room which is locked behind a keypad. Now, I've asked many people around campus if there was a room like this, but he was the only person who knew...

View attachment 264497

There's a spray painting room! (With the bonus of an airbrush)

This would have been extremely helpful before my whole build was pretty much finished, but oh well

I get to mess with the airbrush :)
.....​
(What are some things you guys know I can do with an airbrush?)

Get a big piece of butcher paper, a bottle of el cheapo paint and practice your control with the airbrush. Being able to gauge your distance, angle and airflow to get your desired effect takes a lot of practice.

Do a bunch of dots, lines, blocks and fiddle around with gradients. Just play around on a big surface and get a feel for it.

Here's some updated pictures of my build. It's basically finished, but may improve it further!

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190120121319372_COVER.jpg IMG_20190120_121314.png IMG_20190120_121534.png IMG_20190120_121543.png IMG_20190120_121558.png IMG_20190120_121603.png

I appreciate the help from all of you. I intend to make a new build from scratch again at some point, and apply everything I have learned.

Cheers!

I like it so much more!

I feel like it has been debated on here before, but I believe the verdict was that Spartan armor doesn't rust. The most that happens is the paint chips and gets dirty.

Yep! I'm on team MJOLNIR doesn't rust but will oxidize white if surface coatings are removed and left for a very long time. If people want to make it rusty, might as well follow proper rust formation patterns!

W
I like it so much more!

I feel like it has been debated on here before, but I believe the verdict was that Spartan armor doesn't rust. The most that happens is the paint chips and gets dirty.
Who cares it looks awesome! Maybe YOU as a spartan painted your armor to make it look rusty so your foes take you for granted and think your armor is poor quality and old/weak.

I’m not sure how to feel about this oddly upbeat banter about rust. Sooooo I’ll just be on the team that says I don’t like the idea of rusty armor because I haven’t had a tetanus shot recently. And that would be down right inconvenient.
“Yeah! Take that you covenant baddy, oh hey can you hold off on the whole genocide thing for a sec, I think I’ve got a rash .....” *scratches*

Ha! All of you were unprepared for this outbreak, as I implemented a Fully-Automated Body Scratcher (or, F.A.B.S. for short) into my suit! It's top of the line modifications I'll have you know!

*mechanical scratching sounds in the background*
Congratulations! Being how wonderful computers and electronics are, your F.A.B.S. just nicked you. You now need a tetanus shot. What would you like to do?

Congratulations! Being how wonderful computers and electronics are, your F.A.B.S. just nicked you. You now need a tetanus shot. What would you like to do?

Hmmmmm. I'd like to . . . try and give myself a shot on the battlefield! *Rolls a D20*

*Miss*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back