Photoshop, Copyright, Fair Use Review Session

Status
Not open for further replies.

kensai111

Hello ladies and gents, an interesting little light of events arose today which makes a good time for a little Photoshop, fan art, fair use and copyright review. So sit down, shut up and hold on because Uncle Kensai is going to school you with a little knowledge of how things work in this business.

Source: Wikipedia
Fan art or fanart is artwork that is based on a character, costume, item, or story that was created by someone other than the artist. The term, while it can apply to art done by fans of characters from books, is usually used to refer to art derived from visual media such as comics, movies or video games. Usually, it refers to artworks by amateur artists, or artists who are unpaid for their fan creations.

Let's say you want to take a picture of Master Chief corpse humping a grunt and edit it in Photoshop. Ok, You've got MC codpiece deep on the grunts face and you're ready to show the world your super l33t new piece. Pay attention, you just created some fan art. There's a couple things to know about this manly masterpiece of vulgar relief:

Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 17 U.S.C. § 106 and 17 U.S.C. § 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright. In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include:

1 the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;
2 the nature of the copyrighted work;
3 the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and
4 the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

What this means in English: Is this picture going to to be used to for researching the drop rate of a Master Chief crouch? Are you making fun of someone with this hardcore thrust? Are you using this as a comment in Maxim's “How do you show your friends you love them?” thread? Are you part of a news publication? Are you teaching someone a proper grunt kill? Are you using this as a designer piece for applying for a scholarship (Good luck! Nothing says I'm serious about school like a good animated face thrusting!)?

If you answered yes to any of the following questions, GREAT, you're not infringing copyright!

So you thought...You see when it really comes down to it, there's a big giant gray area if you live in the United States.

Generally, the right to reproduce and display pieces of artwork is controlled by the original author or artist under 17 U.S.C. § 106. However, fan art using settings and characters from a previously created work (such as the Halo universe) could be considered a derivative work, which would place control of the copyright with the owner of that original work. Display and distribution of fan art that would be considered a derivative work would be unlawful.

Bu... but... you mean all my Halo fan art pieces are owned by Bungie. Short answer yes, unless you somehow get a better defense attorney than them (good luck!).

Now, a particular issue brought up was, what about an ingame screenshot?

Some companies believe the use of screenshots is an infringement of copyright on their program, as it is a derivative work of the widgets and other art created for the software.Regardless of copyright, screenshots may still be legally used under the principle of fair use in the U.S. or fair dealing and similar laws in other countries.

So, you found this brand new screenshot of a spartan swan diving on fire through the man cannon on Valhalla, score! Remember those questions I asked earlier, that's the ONLY cases you can use this photo in. If you work for the 405th Source – our electronic magazine (a news publication) – and you want to use that picture of a flaming spartan shooting out of the Valhalla man cannon you're in luck! *does the safety dance*

QUICK REVIEW:

Your own fanart – legal until Bungie says otherwise with the banhammer in court. (So far they've been very nice at not suing the crap out of the entire site and every member participating in crafting armor.)

Screenshots – Fair game for everyone as long as it's fair use (see the above questions I asked).

As for screenshots, I always trust my good friend Hawty McBloggy to find the best on the web. She runs the uber cool site http://halo3screenshots.com/ and has been very nice and is well aware we use the screenshots she finds around in that big giant heap we call Halo 3 file share. She's given the 405th lots of love as a whole over the years and I go out of my way whenever I can to thank all people out there whipping up wicked Halo 3 screenshots and Hawty herself. Infact I recently donated a few sets of the Odessa and Helljumper limited edition posters and offered them up for her, her husband, and some lucky winners over on her site so keep refreshing for a chance at those!

As for the “stolen” artwork today, seems I got a copy of a copy to work with in my travels in the screenshot underworld. The screenshot seen in Odessa issue #3 was taken by “The Stig” a 405th member here who felt I wronged him. I just wanted to set the record straight on what actually happened since the topic was locked before I had even received a message that anything was wrong. I've informed Vex to add a link and add the words “Original screenshot by: The Stig” under that photo in issue #3 to make ammends.

Just a final note that applies to my little Photoshop copyright lesson today, if you suspect a theft of your art or similar situation, usually an e-mail or some form of communication between you and the user can usually clean up any troubles that follow. If that fails you can always report the item to a moderator or owner of that website and they'll handle the situation.

Schools out, now time to get cracking on the new format!

Cheers,
Kensai

Confucious T said:
Hmm, we just went over this is my digital art class.

Always good stuff to know if you plan on going into this field. If you're in the US there are so many gray areas however, it becomes essentially impossible to do anything without needing a credits list the size of a Hollywood blockbuster or just settling it in court provided they want to go that far. US Copyright Act has it's uses but I'm afraid 99% of the time it does more damage than good. I try to stay away as much as possible and work open source whenever possible. I'm now working with the linux distribution Linux Mint and I'm much much happier :).

Cheers,
Kensai

Last edited by a moderator:
S1l3nt V1p3r said:

Woot, look 4chan showed up everyone! He's such a busy man he didn't have time to read it, infact he had to abbreviate "too long; didn't read". Ah, a good old fashioned sentence fragment, glad to see that public school education is hard at work. It's also considered spam on the forums, reported. If you're going to add to the conversation, do it right or don't do it at all.

Cheers,
Kensai

Well written, nicely balanced post Kensai. Hopefully this will put an end to 'said accusation' now and we can all get along like happy campers again. ;)

Well written, thoroughly thought out reply. -1 for using wiki as a source. ;)

Thank you for taking the time to explain this complex but straightforward set of "rules."

And on that note:

*BOOM HEADSHOT* Stings don't it?

I've informed Vex to add a link and add the words “Original screenshot by: The Stig” under that photo in issue #3 to make ammends.

I'm pretty sure that's going to solve the issue here, thanks Kensai. I'm not sure I buy the whole fair usage law lecture in defense, but you're right, legally those are technically the rules. If I were in this situation though, the lesson I would take away from this experience is to be absolutely certain of where any piece of source artwork comes from, and preemptively give credit where it's due so that people don't make these kinds of accusations.

HOWEVER, :eek: I also entirely agree with your assessment that such matters should be handled personally, not publicly. Stiq should have come to you or Vexona first instead of broadcasting his frustrations across the forum. The thread was locked because of the needless flamewar that erupted, not because of any lapse in decorum. Stiq broke no rules, he just didn't handle it as discretely as some would have preferred. But, I can't say that I wouldn't have done the same if I were that upset. It certainly didn't help though that there were so many people provoking him.

So can we have consensus to call this matter closed? Credit is being issued to make amends, I'm sure you've both learned something valuable from this experience (as has everyone involved). Will you guys be able to shake hands and walk away, lest this needlessly turn into a grudge match?

I should hope that we should see an amicable end to this.

I have PM'ed.
But once again, Thanks for sorting this out and understanding why I was annoyed.
And nice write-up too.

I agree and am glad this is resolved. Kensai contacted me last night and I have added your name to the credit in the PDF of the mag.

Vexona said:
I agree and am glad this is resolved. Kensai contacted me last night and I have added your name to the credit in the PDF of the mag.
I noticed, Thank you for that.
I am currently formulating a plan to stop this from happening again, I shall let you know when I'm done.

Interesting topic Kensai, certainly clears some light on the subject. However, I was taught not to source information from wikipedia, seeing as anyone can edit it and is usually unreliable.

I would just like to point out this wasn't meant to be solely a reply or me pointing fingers up here. I know I had alot of questions about this kinda stuff when I joined the E-Zine and I too got schooled on the matter by my instructors at college, CommanderFluffy and Vex. I hope all our artists can take away something.

Yoda & Smilie, you're right, bad on me for using wiki as my source. The reason though, is their legal descriptions were far much less.. mind numbing and were in some form of english humans could understand. I got scolded by my girlfriend (lawyer) for the same thing when I let her spellcheck my article lol.

Cheers,
Kensai

awesome write up on that and as i would always say... if it aint your art to start but if ya changed it either way give credit to the originals!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back