PLA Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thatguy99

Just wondering are all brands made equally? Does higher price = higher quality? What are some better brands for good prices and what are some that I should never buy, if there are any? (Brands I am aware of... overture, sunlu, hatchbox, (I have heard good things about them) and eson)

I personally have only been using Overture Matte Gray PLA. It has worked for me without any issues that weren't caused by settings or by bed adhesion. I finish and paint all my parts so I never really branched out into other colors or finishes.

Not all brands are made equally - some might add slightly different ingredients, or different proportions of each. Keep in mind too that even different colours of the same filament from the same company can print differently. And with PLA, there's a few different variations - the two common ones are PLA and PLA+.
Personally I use eSun PLA+, which I have found to be quite consistant.

Not all brands are made equally - some might add slightly different ingredients, or different proportions of each. Keep in mind too that even different colours of the same filament from the same company can print differently. And with PLA, there's a few different variations - the two common ones are PLA and PLA+.
Personally I use eSun PLA+, which I have found to be quite consistant.
What’s the difference between PLA and PLA+?

The biggest differences are that PLA+ has a slightly higher melting point, meaning it's more heat resistant than PLA, as well as it sands easier. On top of that, it's not really that much more difficult to print than PLA

I personally use the Microcenter brand (Inland) PLA+. All of my printers seem happy with it, and the sanding characteristics are reasonable for what I need. Hatchbox PLA I've used in the past, and had no specific issues with.

i have found a brand called IIId max and i use the pla+ and i forgot my forearm out side in the sun and went to get food at the store and it seem to handle the heat from the sun really good and as long as you run it at 215 or up it prints really well i have not had any issues. and yes when i got home i tryed the forearm on and it was hot but not warped or anything

I've had good experiences with Matterhackers build series PLA. It prints well, and you can get bulk discounts. If you order 10+ rolls, the price drops from $20 to $15 each. It's worth noting though that this filament does like to print a little hotter. For the grey color, which is a pretty dark grey, I print that at 205, and lighter colors need to go to 210.

PLA generally runs about US$20/kg, but there are various retailers that have bulk discounts. Generally, if you think you're getting scammed‚ you are.

I've moved over into buying PLA+ in bulk (I go through a lot) and as of late I've been using LLDMax, if you buy 10-20kg from them you can get it at a pretty good price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back