Planning ahead. What would it take to build a pelican?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Anwalt

Sr Member
Member DIN
S530
Ok. I've seen the Operation chastity page dealio. WAY UBER SUPER IMPRESSED! AND, on my way to Salt Lake City a while back, I was listening to a song called "Requiem for a dream" (Super epic song, btw...) and I couldn't get this vision outta my head about a pelican that was hit and goin down, like all the war movies, and they were carrying a cryo-tube (that naturally had a spartan in it, duh...). So basically I want to make this movie thingy about the pilot of the pelican bringing this burning bird in on a wing and a prayer during some human-covenant battle, and when they hit the ground all the marines are shootin and yellin and the pilot opens up the cryo tube so they can stand a chance while trying to survive for a CSAR op to rescue them. The scene always seems to climax when the cryo tube opens in the last 10 seconds of the song and the pilot throws him an MA-5B (the B version is the best, hands down...) and the last scene is about a second long with the spartan dual-wielding assault rifles standing on the back of this crashed pelican giving the covenant a bad day.

I dunno if I ever will actually make this thing a reality :'( But I can't let myself go without at least trying to build this pelican thing. I understand This is a heck of an endeavor, but if I could somehow construct the inside of a pelican, most of the troubles would be behind me.

Advice anyone?

Dude, this sounds REALLY epic. My advice, small scale. Just build scale replicas of a pelican, surrounding battlefield, and marines. But if you had spartan armor and ALOT of bondo, i guess you could create this battle scene. And, you could just make a fullscale model of the cockpit of the pelican and shoot that, if it was mostly about the pilot. But i STRONGLY suggest small scale!! Also, it helps to be good in film, as in cameras, editing, and prop building. I can see this pelican project taking off!

That's what I'm going for. Just mostly inside shots. Everything outside can be done with small scale models, and I can make some good lookin ones of those. I've done models ever since I was a kid, so that should be easy. What I"d need to construct would be 1 the cockpit 2 the cargo bay, and 3 the cryo tube. I have the pep files for a cryo tube that I can make miniature, and just looked up the dimensions for the bay of a pelican, and that looks so easy it's already almost done. LoL! the cockpit would be a blast to build; I've been into aircraft since I was old enough to look up. (hence the model airplanes, lol) I would just need help in 1 getting people to act in it 2 actual assembly 3 filming the special effects stuff, and 4 covenant bad guys costumes and effects. That's it.

Hi my name is Jose and I'm new. I'm a rescent enthusiast; hardly even a noob. and if I'm allowed these would be my two cents:aside from replicas, full scale fully funtional pelican is pretty out there man. the closest thing is an V22 Osprey and that thing costed billions on research, millions of man hours of work and several of human lives in testing; but I thing building a full size replica for stand in purposes is perfectly doable but I'm suspecting pretty pretty expensive. But, hey! who can stop us from dreaming and planning ahead, right?

I don't think finding people to help you should be a problem in neither in those accounts. I live in Phoenix and if you leave in this county I'd love to help in any way, shape or form.

The Idea is solid, you're going to have to do allot of planning to make this work. For the crashed pelican I suggest using cardboard for the outside and the cargo bay walls, 2X4's for the internal structure, and spray-paint would just about do it.

Wow, would love to see this happen! As far as making a scaled replica of a Pelican, my thoughts are reference pics and lots of it. I don't have the Halo Encyclopedias but I hope they have good reference pics in it. I know that the RPF has a forum on studio scale replicas and it might be a good resource for this project.

Not too hard as you don't actually need to build the whole thing for filming purposes. You can green screen exterior shots, and even some of the interior. Really the only parts you would have to make are the cockpit and part of the passenger bay. These can be built with 2x4's, scrap drywall (easy to find) and blue insulation foam or detail.

Sounds interesting. When is all of this going to be done? Also is this going to be done on the flats, or do you have another location?

Another out there idea. Although if you wanted to build the inside of the pelican hears what i'd do. First I'd find a really big space. Like triple garage area. Bigger would be better. Second, get as many references pics as you can, and watch as many cutscenes as you can, which show the inside of a pelican. Third make it. Although a full scale interior of a pelican would be costly to make, not to mention time consuming. The hardest would be the door.

Finding someone to lay in the cyro tube would be abit hard to, unless its open and you can breathe in it. Just my thoughts to your idea. I'm planning a three or four part film series, but wont touch on it for at least a year if not longer. I'm not sure if you've finished your suits yet but that should be your first priority. At least then you have something to inspire you

Its not like he's going to make a real cryotube. Its hard to make something airtight on purpose, so all he need do is cut some vent holes as an assurance of safety.

The Idea is solid, you're going to have to do allot of planning to make this work. For the crashed pelican I suggest using cardboard for the outside and the cargo bay walls, 2X4's for the internal structure, and spray-paint would just about do it.

Exactly! The biggest problem that I can forsee is graphics, because I'm not really set up to do computer graphics like that. My uncle does stuff like that but he lives in California, and I'm here in Utah. :( But the whole schebang from start to finish is only going to be 6:30 or so. The inside of the Pelican bay and cockpit or the biggest things that I'd have to do. I can make a million marine suits, no sweat. Marine armor is easy. My friend is making a MkVI suit, and I was going to start a Mk V, so either way, spartans are set also. If anyone had any way to do computer graphics that looked good for muzzle flashes, covenant weapons and the like, that would be AWESOME. But to be sure the actual construction of the pelican bay and cockpit would not be that difficult. I'm sure I could do that almost by myself. I got a lot of freetime and LOVE aircraft cockpit interiors. Just have to find pics of a Pelican cockpit.

I'm getting carried away again. Time to seek other responses. :p

Depending upon the model Pelican you want to use, could you try capturing screenshots from the second level of CE and the (first) Ark level of 3? Neither is quite the most detailed when you really get right down to it, but either could work as a good starting reference, especially if you've read the novels and considering your admitted affection for modern aircraft. I'd love to see this, personally - are you going to try tossing in an UNSC AI, since the Pelican is supposedly equipped to handle them?

Another option for the cryotube is to have just the armor inside during the first few shots, then have your Spartan actor don it and enter before filming his (or her, as the case may eventually be) egress.

Standard 2-bys would work for some of the gear mounting the 'tube to the Pelican, but you might want something a bit larger for the support struts if you're going for onscreen accuracy...maybe try doubling them up or something... Once you build the 'tube, you should probably hit the inside of whatever you use for the window with white/blue clearcoat spray for that icy effect and get some aerosol cans of fogjuice or something configured to release when the 'tube is opening.

Oh, hey - here we go:
http://www.studiodepot.com/store/index.cgi?cmd=view_category&parent=1012&id=1202
http://www.filmtools.com/diffusionincan.html

Good luck, fellow Sean! I'm looking forward to this!

Depending upon the model Pelican you want to use, could you try capturing screenshots from the second level of CE and the (first) Ark level of 3? Neither is quite the most detailed when you really get right down to it, but either could work as a good starting reference, especially if you've read the novels and considering your admitted affection for modern aircraft. I'd love to see this, personally - are you going to try tossing in an UNSC AI, since the Pelican is supposedly equipped to handle them?

Another option for the cryotube is to have just the armor inside during the first few shots, then have your Spartan actor don it and enter before filming his (or her, as the case may eventually be) egress.

Standard 2-bys would work for some of the gear mounting the 'tube to the Pelican, but you might want something a bit larger for the support struts if you're going for onscreen accuracy...maybe try doubling them up or something... Once you build the 'tube, you should probably hit the inside of whatever you use for the window with white/blue clearcoat spray for that icy effect and get some aerosol cans of fogjuice or something configured to release when the 'tube is opening.

Oh, hey - here we go:
http://www.studiodepot.com/store/index.cgi?cmd=view_category&parent=1012&id=1202
http://www.filmtools.com/diffusionincan.html

Good luck, fellow Sean! I'm looking forward to this!

Awesome, thanks a ton. I was thinking about that kind of thing for ice on the glass, but the steamy foggy effect I was thinking dry ice. And the spartan actually isn't going to be visible except in a few instances. It's kinda like those lousy Bungie things we all detest that don't actually show the spartan, except at the end when the spartan gets woken up and kicks some butt.

One question I did have was this: The instant the pelican hits the ground, how am I going to get a simultaneous jolt from the marines in the bay? Also, where can I go online to figure out how to do computer graphics?

Dude, is anyone here from Salt Lake, Ogden, or anywhere in northern Utah? Some motivation and help would do wonders for this project.

I travel to West Point almost on a weekly basis, I don't know how much I can contribute other than a few weapons (Such as the DMR, SMG and the pistol), idk, depends on when you're going to start filming. I might even join in during filming if you want me to (and if I'm availible)

Just saying this, Guy's lets not get too excited right now it's still in the planning stage. Things might not happen for a long while. (Hint hint nudge nudge)

Also, Indy Mogul has allot of filming tutorials, look them up ;)

And it's not to hard to get the CG stuff, if your uncle decides to do it just tell him to send you a burned CD. Or send him the final film and let him do it.

Just saying this, Guy's lets not get too excited right now it's still in the planning stage. Things might not happen for a long while. (Hint hint nudge nudge)

Also, Indy Mogul has allot of filming tutorials, look them up ;)

Yeah, a long while, but I want to try this out. If worst comes to worst, I can at least show you guys the pelican cockpit and bay that I create. :D
And I'll try my uncle out, we'll see. I'm going to start working on a script. I've been submerged in the arial combat lingo and militaristic style (mostly.....) for a long time, so I think I can do it. I dunno, we'll hafta see what happens. Thank for all the input guys!

Good news bad news

Just letting ya know, i dont LIVE in utah, but i visit in summer break and winter break. The rest of my time i chill in beijing, china

bad news

I'm a kid. But just letting you know.............. i could possible be a grunt in my spare time :p

-Delta

Dude, is anyone here from Salt Lake, Ogden, or anywhere in northern Utah? Some motivation and help would do wonders for this project.

I live in Utah and would be willing to help with the CG stuff if/when this comes to fruition. I'm going to school for film stuff, so I'll probably be occupied most of the school year, but this winter and next summer (as far as I can see) I should be available. Muzzle flashes are easy and I have some experience with the 3D stuff, so I'm here when you need me. Cheers and good luck on the project.

Hi,

If you need a model of pelican interior, download it THERE
I just finished to model it :)

(press on pictures to enlarge)

5645555625_6dfd879229.jpg

5646118888_21c91e4341.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back