Please delete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately there's no foolproof way to get your helmet scaled up, I'm sorry to say. It comes down to a lot of trial, error and work, but taking a few measurements to see how close you are will help. For example:

I've always measured my pep builds primarily upon hat size. For example, I use a 54cm-56cm hat size - this is the circumference of the hat's brim, or you could simply wrap a tape measure around your forehead to get a rough size. Using a little simple maths will help you find the diameter - how wide your head is. If your head will fit through the helmet opening at that width (in my case 16cm to 18cm, give or take), then you're reasonably close to the size you need. If you have a method to measure the height of your head from the chin to the crown, you're pretty close to finding the height your build needs to be, plus a centimetre or two to allow for padding and such. Test-build the neck seal using those measurements and you should be good to go.

To sum: find how wide and tall your head is. If your head fits through the neck seal, it's likely you have a good fit.

From those measurements, I'd suggest a test-build of maybe 29.5cm to 30cm. It does sound big, yes, but if you're built large then you're going to have to scale to compliment that, I'm afraid. And, as I said, there's always a reasonable margin for trial and error, so don't worry too much about having to do a few tests to find a scale that fits.

If it's any consolation, 'normal' build sizes tend to be around 29cm or so, your head isn't too far off the norm.

My own head height is 28cm, and I typically build my helmets at 30cm (with the exception of the special-shaped helmets). I add in an extra 2cm (~1inch) to account for padding. With your head height begin 28.9, I'd suggest around to consider building your helmet with a height of 31cm and adjusting if necessary from there.

For any future scaling dilemmas, check out HaloGoddess's scaling tutorial thread...

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/31627-HaloGoddess-quot-How-To-Scale-quot-and-More-Tutorial

Just to let you know, in figuring out the thigh armor sizing for my own Mk VI build, I built half a dozen different sizes of low def thighs (after building two high def thighs and failing) before I found the right size. So, building multiple sizes to figure out the right scale isn't uncommon. You can use all the mathematical formulas you want, make a detailed diagram of your body, whatever; sometimes a scale, no matter how perfectly calculated, will just have to be adjusted.

Where possible, look for low definition files that have the same rough dimensions of the high def files you wish to build. They're easier/quicker to build, so if it's not the right size, you can easily adjust and start again. When you find that size, you can move on confidently to the higher def file. Keep in mind that low def files do not exist for all armor pieces; but like I said, where you can, use size testers.

You do have one advantage here - you're an adult and thus the dimensions won't change on you as you're building the pieces (unlike pepping for a child who's growing each day). In your Photoshop image the outline of your head is pretty darned close to the outline of the helmet, which doesn't leave much room at all for Rondo, fiberglass, padding, etc. Also, your pieces will shrink on you slightly after applying the resin, so something that fit perfectly after pep could turn out too small after hardening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back