Poly Urethane Resin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aultin

Not sure if this is legal, but I want to add a question.

Well most people fiberglass and bondo their helmet's and armor, but that takes money, time, and can even be hazardous to your health. Now what I am wondering is if poly urethane can be a good substitute. Could you slosh a small amount into your pepakura model and coat the inside with it? Maybe 4 or 5 layers could possibly harden it right? I'm not sure if anyone has tried this, but I want to ask.

Aultin the Spartan said:
Well most people fiberglass and bondo their helmet's and armor, but that takes money, time, and can even be hazardous to your health. Now what I am wondering is if poly urethane can be a good substitute. Could you slosh a small amount into your pepakura model and coat the inside with it? Maybe 4 or 5 layers could possibly harden it right? I'm not sure if anyone has tried this, but I want to ask.
Polyurethane as in varnish? It may not be a potent as polyester resin but it's still potentially dangerous. If you're going to use this, you need to use fiberglass also because that's the one really gives the armor the strength. It's not going to be as strong as a resin+fiberglass combination but it's better than varnish by itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, poly urethane is used as a varnish. I actually hadn't known that. I wasn't exactly sure if it would work out. I just wanted to know if someone has tried it. I really didn't like fiberglassing when I tried it. It may be just me, but it created a huge mess and was a real pain. So I wanted to try an alternative. Thought that might be good and wanted to ask if it was used before.

it works for the inside. I've done it for my helmet. I saw the technique from another member on here

but what would you do for the outside?

I still hade to fiberglass resin the outside first before I used the urethane on the inside. so that it seals everything
so it doesn't all leak out

If structural strength is what you're looking for, you might want to consider this. It's not going be as cheap as polyurethane but at least you won't need to use fiberglass and it's really strong after building up a 1/4" layer.

Ral Partha said:
If structural strength is what you're looking for, you might want to consider this. It's not going be as cheap as polyurethane but at least you won't need to use fiberglass and it's really strong after building up a 1/4" layer.
Thanks. That's what I need. You were a real help. Can't thank you enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just Click the link under my Sig to see a video I made. Ruze789 is the brain behind the tut: I just made a video/tut on how to do it to supplement his tut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back