polyester Resin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moz

and it's not hardening! It has gotten thicker but it just hasn't solidified!

It has gotten really cold recently so I imagine t hat has some to do with it! I went out and bought some more resin/hardner and painted on some properly mixed hardner on top but it is still pretty gooie.

I have been using a hair drier on it (I have to wait until my next paycheque to get a heatgun, unless I can figure out how to eat fibreglass) and it hasn't gotten much better.

help!

Your suppose to be using fiberglass resin, not polyester, plus it needs light and heat to harden, leave it outside, I left mine out yesterday and the left foot got real hard with just 1 coat of resin, I will coat the inside tommorow...today is cloudy.

EDIT: Sorry, had to read the post again, if you managed to get some hardner into the polyester resin, and you did mix it well, then it will eventually get hard, but that may take 2 weeks, and if you can find a nice warm sunny place, it will cure faster, but lamps can speed this process up, just be carefull not to place the lamp to close to any objects, as it could be a fire hazard...

Polyester resin is fiberglass resin. It's just a type of fiberglass resin (Epoxy would be a diff story)

It's the cold that's messin ya up Moz. I hate that about weather. It's been cold and raining here and I can't fiberglass outside like normal ;_;

I have spotlights at home for photography and they get pretty toasty. If you have like a plant grow light or something that gets warm that might help ya give a helping nudge to the curing process without having to stand there and hold a blower.

Everything will eventually cure but it certainly is annoying waiting on it. :p

Curse exothermic reactions!!

:p
G'luck Moz!

-----
Edit: Apparently Sherwin Williams makes Multipurpose Epoxy Resins designed for low temperatures (down to 35F). Might be good for ppl who are continually affected by the cold.
---

****!

I have all my set lights (I do some film work)

I could set those up. 2000 watts should speed things up.... but my electricty bill will kill me.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vexona @ Oct 10 2007, 12:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>We salute your power bill.

<3

It's for a good cause :D</div>

wow, thanks for the update about the weather.. It's getting really cold in Seattle and I was thinking of doing my first resin tonight.. I checked the weather reported and just my luck. Friday, Saturday and Sunday is hitting at the 60's with sun.. I guess I have my weekend booked up for me.

Awesome dude, you're up to the fiberglassing! Man I better step it up and finish mine

Yea 60 should work out good for ya. It's the lowest of the recommended of the temps so you'll have a little extra play time with your resin but it'll turn out nice.

-Vex

Vexona said:
Awesome dude, you're up to the fiberglassing! Man I better step it up and finish mine

Yea 60 should work out good for ya. It's the lowest of the recommended of the temps so you'll have a little extra play time with your resin but it'll turn out nice.

-Vex

Yeah haha.. After all that cutting, folding, gluing.. Wow I don't ever want to do that again. Well, not for a while at least.. If I ever come across a pep needler haha.. Yeah, I got a deadline of Oct 26.. It's coming close!! YIKES ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
preskewl said:
Yeah haha.. After all that cutting, folding, gluing.. Wow I don't ever want to do that again. Well, not for a while at least.. If I ever come across a pep needler haha.. Yeah, I got a deadline of Oct 26.. It's coming close!! YIKES ;)

left it inside while I was at work today, the cod piece is still gooiey. :/

I didn't want to leave the lights on by themselves as they ARE a fire hazard. here is a video I took before I went to work:

dsc07022ty2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
And Moz said, "Let there be light.'

I hope you start seeing some positive results soon. Every little bit helps. :)

I am gonna say, if you need that much light, you def did not get enough hardner into your resin.... lol, or it was cold like christmas should be... either way I feel for you, fiberglass that doesn't cure can be a pain...

I work in a basement, so since it's starting to get into the cold months now. I keep a small electric, oil radiator down in the basement and it keeps the temperature down there around 70ish which is a good temp to work with :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back