Polythemus' "Victor-101" Mk VI Build WIP - PICS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Progress Update - VIDEO! - 2 of 2 (1/22/12)

Alrighty, now for the continuation of that last post!

Now that you all hopefully understand the point of the project, I'll get on to showing you what I actually did with it.
Here is a diagram that I made when I was working on the project. This diagram is what I was going for.
th_ArduinoCommSystemsketch.jpg
Long story short, I couldn't make it the way I wanted it due to time constraints and the lack of experience and knowledge needed to do it. Here is what it actually turned out to be:
th_06cf5983.jpg th_86776948.jpg th_bc1f19a2.jpg

So although I didn't succeed in making it the way I wanted it, I gained a lot of knowledge about this project that I plan on using later on. It may be a while but I do still plan to make this Comm System, with or without the Arduino.
Can anybody with more experience give me some input as to what I could do differently?

Enough of that now! On to the next part :)

EDIT: I realize now, after reading through this update, that I never explained what the resulting device could do. Basically, all it could do was project voice and music through the speakers and would switch between the two by using the red button at the top. It was a very simple device but was pretty difficult to make using the Arduino.

-Magnum 15:24
So I'll make this one much shorter to compensate for the last one. Here's the story in a nutshell:
1) I looked for a 3d model of the magnum.
2) I couldn't find one.
3) I made one.
4) Hopefully I can "print" it!

And here are the fancy screenshots I promised you guys.
th_MagnumIso.jpg th_magnumrear.jpg th_magnumright.jpg

So yea... That took quite a while, haha. Soon I am going to talk to my professor about the printing and will have a definite answer as to whether or not I can do it. Once I do I'll let you all know! There are still a few modifications that have to be made to it such as putting in more holes to insert magnets.

The Future: 17:14
I'll make this one short and sweet. Due to the fact that I have more time this semester, I will be dedicating a large amount of time to finishing all of the pepping that I need to do. I should have it all done by the summer. Once summer comes around, I have the perfect workshop in my back yard that I am going to transform into my permanent (at least for summer) workstation. I'll pound out the the rest of the construction of the suit within the next few weeks and will get everything mounted on me if possible. I don't intend to have EVERYTHING finished by the end of summer but I am shooting for at least being able to wear the entire suit.

So there you have it friends. The longest update you ever seen and I've ever made. I hope you enjoyed it and had a fine time skimming through it. Please give me as much feedback as you can, everything is appreciated! Also, be expecting my next update sometime within the month. This new one will focus on more current news and will bring you up to speed with everything. I look forward to hearing from you!

-Poly

I'll have to admit I also found this by a promotion of Annanymous' post. I don't regret it at all! I think your build is very well thought out and you haven't rushed it so much to lose site of important details. Your helmet looks awesome and your continuous stream of input is very helpfull. I love the way you've come so far and I'll have your thread bookmarked!
Well I'm glad to hear that Annanymous is getting me some visitors! I can only hope I'm doing the same for her. Thanks for the great response. It's really good to know that I'm on the right track. Thanks for stopping by, Zachrack.

Looking good. It's been a while since I've come to you're build page and needless to say, You've come a long ways into you're planning phase. Love the set up for you're build and I'm looking forward to seeing more.
Thanks Thorn, that means a lot coming from you. I'm glad that you're enjoying my thread and my progress so far!

-Poly

Great ideas and research on things man, I would just like to recommend to try and keep it simple on some things maybe. I know it may be a bit more expensive, but what about using blue-tooth technology and such paired with a smart phone, for the speaker and mic? I know they have the speakers, and headsets, just not sure if you could get the mic's to go through the speakers. I'm just throwing some ideas out there. Keep up the great work, I will be following this thread.

Great ideas and research on things man, I would just like to recommend to try and keep it simple on some things maybe. I know it may be a bit more expensive, but what about using blue-tooth technology and such paired with a smart phone, for the speaker and mic? I know they have the speakers, and headsets, just not sure if you could get the mic's to go through the speakers. I'm just throwing some ideas out there. Keep up the great work, I will be following this thread.

Thanks for the reply Masterchief! I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you. Anyway, I've looked into using bluetooth, and it would be pretty cool, but it is just way too expensive. I also want to have as little stuff in my helmet as possible, which is why I like the idea of the throat communicator. I definitely won't put bluetooth out of my mind as a possibility though! Have a happy Thanksgiving!

- Poly

Progress Update - Vidya!

Hey everybody! After almost a year, I'm back at the progress updates. That's not to say I haven't been working on my suit though. Anyway, I've made a bit of progress in the past few months and it's all covered in my newest progress update video :) I hope you guys like it, and thanks for coming back!

So, as usual, this is the part where I highlight the important parts of the video for those of you who would rather read than watch another 20 minute video. I will not, however, be putting as much detail into the highlights as I have into the last two video updates. This is because these updates can actually end up taking me about 4-5 hours total. I will have links (the numbers next to each section name) that will take you to the corresponding part in the video so please take advantage of those if you want to know more about any topic.

Recap: 0:54
- Arduino
- M6D
- Gloves

Progress:
- Comm System 2:98
Ok, so to keep this short and simple, I'll be taking a programming class next semester which will help with the programming of an Arduino that I may be able to borrow from the school.

- M6D 5:29
As of now it does not look like I'll be able to use the schools resources to make my Magnum. Also, I looked into having somebody make it for me and it was a minimum of about $750. I have also made a lot of changes to my Magnum since the last update. It is now much more realistic looking and a lot more detailed. The thing on the end of the barrel is a barrel plug that I made so that I can paint it orange and hopefully be able to carry it around with me around town or something. The entire thing is held together by magnets.
Here are some pictures of it:

th_bb7026cf.jpg th_d33f28c5.jpg

- Gloves 6:47
So I have a template of the golf glove that I tore apart. Unfortunately I can't post it right now because it's on my desktop (I'm at home for Thanksgiving) but I'll get it up as soon as I can.

[INSERT PICTURE HERE]

On the template, there are 3 v-shaped pieces that go in between the fingers and the thumb piece. They're a little bit difficult to figure out but I'll explain more when I post it. I'm not sure what kind of fabric I'm using but I'll look into it. Also, I am teaching myself how to hand-sew and so far it's working out pretty well.

- Scaling 8:27
So thanks to Longshot-x and his post that has his measurements, scales, and files he used, I have finally been able to get my scaling done. Thanks Longshot!!Here is the post that I used. Be sure to check out his thread if you haven't already (which is highly unlikely!). If you want to know more about how I used it, please refer to the video.

- Pep Files 10:47
Alright, this section will probably be a bit longer than the others. Since I have gotten all of my parts scaled, I have finally been able to mess with them in Pepakura Designer. I've made a lot of changes to the layouts of the original files and have, in a way, "re-unfolded" them. I have done this to every file except for the torso, as I have already pepped the torso. I am willing to do the same with the torso, though, if enough people would like me to.
The changes that I have made to these files have, in my opinion, made them much easier to put together, have made them much cleaner when put together, and have decreased the page count by a lot! Unfortunately, though, I have also made them a little bit more difficult to understand. Please refer to the video for more information about these files and the difficulties they have. I encourage you all to check them out and let me know what you think of them!

Along with these files, I will post their original files and the scale that I used. Unfortunately though, the original files and their scale will have to wait until I get back to my desktop.

Helmet:
New
Original

Torso:
New
Original

Right Shoulder:
New
Original

Left Shoulder:
New
Original

Right Forearm:
New
Original

Left Forearm:
New
Original

Hand Plate:
New
Original

Codpiece:
New
Original

Right Thigh:
New
Original

Left Thigh:
New
Original

Right Shin:
New
Original

Left Shin:
New
Original

Right Boot:
New
Original

Left Boot:
New
Original

Please let me know if there is anything that I can do to improve these files even further!

Disclaimer: I do not take credit for these models or their original unfolding. I take credit for only the changes that have been made between the original files and my new ones. Those changes consist of rearranging and modifying the parts and pieces and how they are laid out.

- Pepping 14:38
I've scrapped a few of the pieces that I have already made because they have gotten old and warped. As of now, I have the right boot and the torso pepped. I have also printed all of the pieces out using the above files.

The Future: 17:24
- My Goal
My new goal for a wearable suit is now May 23rd so that I can go to a Comic Con in Phoenix, AZ. We'll see if I can pull it off!!

- On the Back-Burner
For now, I'm putting the comm system and the gloves on the back-burner because they are not necessary for me to have a wearable suit.

- Please go to the video so that I may thank all of you for being so awesome :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking really cool. I know diddly-squat on electronics and so on. Would have to ask my dad haha!
I hope my build will be just as good!!!

Dude! Long time no type... Literally! I got to hand it down to you. You sure are a determined mind! Its great to see you are back and kicking. I wish you luck with your pepping and resining too. If you need any pointers I'm happy to help.

P.S. Since you are going to be resining during the winter a nice cozy work place would be advisable to ensure that your armor gets the best cure out of its resin.

Looking really cool. I know diddly-squat on electronics and so on. Would have to ask my dad haha!
I hope my build will be just as good!!!

Thanks! Well if you've got any questions, I know a fair amount (or at least I think I do), so don't hesitate to ask :)

Dude! Long time no type... Literally! I got to hand it down to you. You sure are a determined mind! Its great to see you are back and kicking. I wish you luck with your pepping and resining too. If you need any pointers I'm happy to help.

P.S. Since you are going to be resining during the winter a nice cozy work place would be advisable to ensure that your armor gets the best cure out of its resin.

Haha yea, I know, it's been waaaaaaay too long! Well I may not have made any of my goals for finishing this thing, but you can count on the fact that I will finish it. I'm definitely determined to finish this suit! I just hope I can get the pepping done by the 20th, which is when I head back home. Then I'll have to get as much of the fiberglassing and bondoing done in two weeks as I can. And about the resining during the winter, I have a workshop that I can work in :) Thanks for coming back Zachrack!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back