Possible New Suit

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaloCEFan

Hey guys, been forever since I last posted here. Last few months I've been trying to decide if I want to make a Halo movie or not. I did think about stop motion animation for a while there, but what I would really want to do is a live action Halo movie. I've been looking into making different suits of armor, none from anything in specific, but I realized that I might prefer to make a suit of Halo armor instead, I've been looking around for at least one good costume to wear just for the sake of wearing it. I looked back into the pepakura technic. And I heard that all I need to do to harden the armor is coat it in fiberglass resin. Is that true or would I need more than that, and what do you estimate a Halo suit would cost to make?

Fiberglass resin would make it stronger but there's more involved. The stickies will tell you everything you will need. If done correctly a suit can cost anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand, that also depends on the items used. You could look into using foam, you won't need resin or bondo for it.

Generally, a coat of fiberglass resin is applied to the outside of the cardboard part to stiffen it a little to support the fiberglass cloth that you put inside. The fiberglass cloth is where the piece really gets its strength and becomes hard like an inner shell. Then, it's a matter of finishing the outside using body fillers, lots of sanding, paint, and weathering.

Cost wise, it all depends on how authentic and good looking you want the suit to be, and how much material and tools you already own. For example, for me personally, since I've been a long time RC airplane modeler, I already had most of the necessary tools to tackle a project like a Spartan suit. I don't think my cost of material will be between $100-$200 max, but others can spend several hundreds, as mentioned above.

Good luck!

A few stacks of cardstock combined with a can of resin and whatever you use as cloth will only put you back about 30-50 bucks.

Thanks guys, I'll read those stickies when I get a little more time on my hands.

I tried all the folding and stuff before, but... how do I know how far I have to bend it with mountain and valley folds?

You can tell what type of fold u need by a general guideline of the line dash pattern. - - - - is normally mountain folds, and -- - -- - being valley folds as the reverse. Some peps use other variations, such as different colours or line styles, just refer to the pep on the viewer - it gives you a better idea of what you are trying to attain.
Hope that helps.

Thanks guys, I'll read those stickies when I get a little more time on my hands.

I tried all the folding and stuff before, but... how do I know how far I have to bend it with mountain and valley folds?

Just bend it to get a nice, crisp crease in there so that it'll fold however much it needs when you glue it. As you assemble it, the pieces/folds will adjust to however much they need to, assuming you're doing it all correctly! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back