Practicing 3D modeling - need photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

PandaBounty

Hello!

I’m currently working on becoming more adept with 3D surfacing in Solidworks, and am recreating helmets as practice. However, since I want to be as accurate as possible - I like to have reference photos to sketch over. That being said, does anyone know the best way to go about getting different views of helmets (ie front view, top view, right side view, etc.)

The helmets I’m currently interested in creating are:
Master Chief Mark VI
Hunter (Spartan Locke)
Grenadier (George)
Achilles

If anyone could let me know the best way of getting reference photos for these helmets or others please let me know, thanks!

You can get references in game by equipping the helmet you want, go into local multiplayer or forge and do a recording you can later play back in game. Then exit the forge or multiplayer and open the recording in cinema. There, you can detach the camera and get freecam that way. With the recording paused, you can take screenshots from different angles of the helmet.These should be ok, but if you want orthogonal ones, you can donload a model from the armory and create renders of it. I don't know if you can do that in solidworks however. Blender works pretty good for that however, and you can get orthogonal hi-res reference pictures.

I agree. Every game(except halo ce and halo 2) has theatre and machinama. You can either use machinama in a custom game or forge with it enabled and look at yourself and use the camera to position around you and zoom in where needed. For the hunter, play a level that has one in it, and when you are done, go into theater and do the same thing. If you dont have Achilles, I think your best bet would to be play warzone matches and keep your eyes open

Coreforge nailed how I do the majority of my helmets. Find a low-poly game file to import as a base mesh to compare against for rough shaping and then using orthogonal views sketch in details.

In Fusion 360 (which is fairly similar to SolidWorks) using Sculpt workspace to build up smooth complex curved areas which are the bane of Fusion and then blocking out other shapes using a combination of the Model workspace tools.

Isn't there some sort of website that allows you to download specific models like the website someone made for Destiny 2?

Hello!

I’m currently working on becoming more adept with 3D surfacing in Solidworks, and am recreating helmets as practice. However, since I want to be as accurate as possible - I like to have reference photos to sketch over. That being said, does anyone know the best way to go about getting different views of helmets (ie front view, top view, right side view, etc.)

The helmets I’m currently interested in creating are:
Master Chief Mark VI
Hunter (Spartan Locke)
Grenadier (George)
Achilles

If anyone could let me know the best way of getting reference photos for these helmets or others please let me know, thanks!
Pretty much all of these helmets are readily available in STL format and are close to 100% accurate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back