Pre-forming What Later Could Be Difficult Finish Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

rndits01

I used craft wood and tacked it with hot glue. After I rough sand the bondo, I'm hoping to be able to remove the forms and save time on the finish details later.

Has anyone done this before?

Not on MKVI to my knowledge. It's usually easier to use foamcore or packaging cardboard for this step on these types of helmets. Cut out the shapes, glue down, resin over. This particular technique that you're trying typically gets used for the lines on the ODST helmets.

But good luck on this one, I'd suggest using vaseline or some other type of mold release on the foam so that the bondo doesn't penetrate the air cells and make your life miserable.

Last edited by a moderator:
BFDesigns said:
Not on MKVI to my knowledge. It's usually easier to use foamcore or packaging cardboard for this step on these types of helmets. Cut out the shapes, glue down, resin over. This particular technique that you're trying typically gets used for the lines on the ODST helmets.

But good luck on this one, I'd suggest using vaseline or some other type of mold release on the foam so that the bondo doesn't penetrate the air cells and make your life miserable.

Thanks for tip!

Last edited by a moderator:
depending on what wood you're using, I'd say you might have a harder time with harder woods if you plan to rip the forms out later. but the harder wood also all0ow you to apply something like Vaseline to the forms for easy removal. I do not know how well bond and/or rondo respond to Vaseline, but there is always the ever expensive as hell way to do it using silicone rubber. but if you used a soft wood like balsa, you can scrape that out if push comes to shove. good luck making those details!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back