Pre-Halo space armor

Since I must redo this thing, I'm a little torn. Should I create classic Buzz or modify it?

• Classic

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Modified

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Little of both

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Anwalt

Sr Member
Member DIN
S530
So I've been meaning to keep this build quiet, especially since it's complicated and I haven't figured out how to do things like electrical stuff and I wanted to impress you guys. But you guys are the brains I'll need to pick to get this thing made, so here goes.

Fictional history. From the future. In 2018 America started the "Space force". In 2019 they changed the name to "Space Command", because that name was stupid.

Some stuff happened, some great names emerged, some satellites were launched, some conspiracy nuts went bonkers, and in the mid- 22nd century the unthinkable happened! Someone tried to sabotage something in space! It was big. It was bad! And people got hurt. So they armored the astronauts.

More things happened, and technology improved and interplanetary stuff became the norm and Captain Kirk and Spock happened and blah blah blah. So now, the heroes of alien warfare emerge. They wore big clunky armor that was archaic and cheap by comparison to nowadays (here in the 25th-26th century), just like John Glenn and Niel Armstrong and all those other brave guys no one ever heard of
1 . And at the top of the list, the top of his class at the academy, the usual NASA/Space Command employee of the month:
20190124_231014.jpg

Buzz Lightyear!

So, I need to figure out things. Like what lights to put where? How am I going to get the wings to actually pop out? And retract? And how am I going to build that stupid dome thing?

Fair warning, progress on this build may be very slow. Still got my MK V under suit to finish.

1: Futurama, Season 1, Episode 2.

Last edited:
Buzz Lightyear of Star Command? I'm excited.

If you ever need a hand with some circuit design, just give a shout and I'm sure there'll be a few of us coming back with solutions.

Buzz Lightyear of Star Command? I'm excited.

If you ever need a hand with some circuit design, just give a shout and I'm sure there'll be a few of us coming back with solutions.

Awesome. I certainly will. But first I need to come up with the wing design so they're not too big and not too small.

I'll get back to ya.

Last edited:
In my younger days, I built plastic model airplanes. The iconic F-14 Tomcat had a sweep wing design. In the interior of the model, the wings were pinned in at the edges and the interior parts (hidden from view) had toothed gears at the end that met in the middle. When you opened one, the other opened as well because of the molded gearing system on the wings. Just a thought when considering your wings. I don't think the "teeth" would be hard to fabricate out of a rigid plastic for strength and still remain lightweight. Then you would only need a single drive system connected to a "master" connector to open and close both wings in unison.
images.jpeg large8a.jpg

I don't have any progress on the wings, but I decided Buzz was a little boring. So I thought "why not steal ideas from Mass Effect?" So I did.

Actually, I like it more than the vanilla torso I was about to go with.

20190226_185254.jpg

Does anyone know of glow- in- the- dark paint or methods that last more than 2 or 4 hours? The only paint I can find doesn't last...

I've had to put this build on hold for a while due to the master chief build and 12 other costumes for a youth program thing, but I'm turning those in today.

I will probably use house paints again, though; I like the way they don't fold or crack, and i like the way they feel.

Also glow in the dark or fluorescent paint. We'll see.

I've had to put this build on hold for a while due to the master chief build and 12 other costumes
and 12 other costumes
I tried to write a joke here, but the truth is I'm at a loss for words. Like, holy cow, just another weekend in the life of the Legendary Sean Anwalt I guess. And I thought doing the HUD had a lot going on.

Oh that's right, you're also doing that movie as well! Daaaaaaaaang bro.

I tried to write a joke here, but the truth is I'm at a loss for words. Like, holy cow, just another weekend in the life of the Legendary Sean Anwalt I guess. And I thought doing the HUD had a lot going on.

Oh that's right, you're also doing that movie as well! Daaaaaaaaang bro.

Yup. I'm pretty much a glutton for punishment.

The 12 costumes were real easy ones that didn't take a lot, although the helmets were a pain.

The youth group was doing some ancient Aztec/ Mayan thing, so I didn't have to be as careful with straight cuts and brush strokes, which was nice.
(Would have been better if they let ME do the weapons, but they wouldn't let me...)

20190621_170315.jpg

20190622_153208.jpg

20190621_175814.jpg

The youth group was doing some ancient Aztec/ Mayan thing, so I didn't have to be as careful with straight cuts and brush strokes, which was nice.
(Would have been better if they let ME do the weapons, but they wouldn't let me...)
This is basically a very modest way of saying you're influencing American youth and inspiring them to become (at least slightly) more interested in creating/DIY and some of the hobby aspects to cosplay.

Well played Mr. Sean Anwalt, well played.

This is basically a very modest way of saying you're influencing American youth and inspiring them to become (at least slightly) more interested in creating/DIY and some of the hobby aspects to cosplay.

Well played Mr. Sean Anwalt, well played.

And teaching them that standing up for themselves and fighting when you need to is better than lying down and taking it like a wimp.

But yeah. Lol. I had one kid actually join up here on the 405th, but he never made a post or anything.

It's hard to get people involved over here. :'( ... anyone got any recruiting ideas, send me a PM.....

And teaching them that standing up for themselves and fighting when you need to is better than lying down and taking it like a wimp.

But yeah. Lol. I had one kid actually join up here on the 405th, but he never made a post or anything.

It's hard to get people involved over here. :'( ... anyone got any recruiting ideas, send me a PM.....
Threaten him with the noodle

FOR THIS REASON I'M GOING TO YELL HERE SO EVEN THE PEOPLE IN THE BACK HEAR - NO ONE IS TO ASSEMBLE OR DISASSEMBLE ANYTHING WITHOUT THE DIRECT INSTRUCTION OF THE PERSON IN CHARGE OF SET UP AND TEAR DOWN.

Whoa.... What was that?

That was weird...

*goes back to working on the build*

Last edited:
IT'S ALIVE! (This thread, I mean.)

Due to reasons I tossed the old buzz chest and am currently working on Buzz 2.0.

Buzz 2.0 is going to be better because my skillz have improved and I'm more interested in making it better. Also, I'm happy in life because after 2 years I finally got a good job I've been trying for, I'm expecting my first baby, and I have a little time and resources. So I'm motivated. Ish.

Let's see what we've got so far!

156945091403798769644465486823.jpg
Duct tape buzz patterns coming along nicely...

Three votes at the beginning of the post (if I include my own) are 50/50 modified Buzz and vanilla buzz. Sho, since it's my thread and my vote counts double, I'm doing a gently modified buzz. Mostly to incorporate my phone into the wrist, some cool effects from fan art, and to make it fit a real human body.

Here's my plan:
15694512050794404910377058798012.jpg
Subject to change, obviously.

Also, MoeSizzlac, in my research I've found a lot of photos of you. Awesome job. Do your wings expand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back