Predator Mask (Expanding Foam Experiment)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sik1276

Hi, after finishing my Reach Scout Helmet, I decided to do a Predator Mask.

Why? Well because...
1) My friend wanted me to do one for him
2) I wanted something outside the Halo Universe, and the Pred looked like a Bionicle Mask (I'm crazy about Bionicle :D)
3) Since I'm doing something new, I might as well try another method. I really don't like dealing with the respirator stuff, so I try to find alternatives to the resin and fiberglass.

When I started this I was originally just gonna paper mache, but I remembered people talking about Great Stuff expanding foam. I heard good and bad things about it, so I thought to try it out.

The main problem people don't recommend this is because the pep build will collapse in on itself (think curving a sheet of paper with your hands and someone stuck a heavy piece of gum underneath it)so I did the mask in cardboard from soda boxes and hot-glued everything together.
156819_1627233053978_1631106542_1422192_6591466_n.jpg

150875_1627233613992_1631106542_1422195_1813229_n.jpg

One $3 can of the Great Stuff at Wal-mart and here I go.
(Warning: apparently there's an latex version of Great Stuff and from what I heard, it won't make your build sturdy but give it "the consistency of a Hostess Twinkie.")
This stuff WILL be sticky so wear gloves and all the safety need-haves. Not sure if it was the laminated sides of the cardboard, but it'd rather stick to me than the mask. Oh and I really underestimated how much the foam will expand lol. I put more than enough to cover the mask, darn my OCD :mad: I waited a day for it to cure and this is what I get, WOW
163956_1628352681968_1631106542_1424647_7926498_n.jpg

Everything looks fine, except the bottom part curved in more

This leaves me a lot of work to carve out. Some carving the eyes and the rest and I find 2 big air bubbles that the foam did not cover.
1218102015a.jpg

My thoughts:
Great Stuff expanding foam is rigid but it is hard to control and fix. I would probably only recommend this for weapons and such. I still got a lot to carve out and stuff. So that's my thoughts.

Trying something a bit new, well done! Thanks for sharing your results.

The expanding foam seems like a natural tool for this hobby, we all just seem to be having a hard time finding its' use :)

Trying something a bit new, well done! Thanks for sharing your results.

The expanding foam seems like a natural tool for this hobby, we all just seem to be having a hard time finding its' use :)

Yeah, finding use for stuff is hard. I was thinking that "Hostess Twinkie" Great Stuff might be good for padding but that would depend how good it can not be pressed all the way down.

i tried that on a chest piece i was experimenting with and it seemed to work well till a couple days later i noticed the foam had some shrinkage and was pulling away from the chest peice. let us know how yours holds up.

I tried making the same Bio Helmet but due to some gluing problems and folding I had to re create it into a battle damaged prop, once its done it will look good hanging on the wall. It has collapsed on me several times around the eye holes.

This leaves me a lot of work to carve out. Some carving the eyes and the rest and I find 2 big air bubbles that the foam did not cover.

i tried that on a chest piece i was experimenting with and it seemed to work well till a couple days later i noticed the foam had some shrinkage and was pulling away from the chest peice. let us know how yours holds up.

What I think about pieces that don't seem to be able to keep their own shape would be to make a skeleton/frame so that the foam can stand against something than itself

Definatly a great idea, I use expanding foam for the inside of my armor when im done, that way when the foams top layer is try to touch, i can press it on my body and it will form to it. Love it!

Definatly a great idea, I use expanding foam for the inside of my armor when im done, that way when the foams top layer is try to touch, i can press it on my body and it will form to it. Love it!

Thats actually a really cool idea i might actually have to borrow that for my ironman armor i'm working on. What brand/type foam do you use?

i tried to make Ventus's helmet from KHBBS by using this method but to no avail, you seem to know what you are doing more than i do though lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back