Printing Options

Status
Not open for further replies.

rimark

Hello 405th,

First off I'd like to say that this forum is AWESOME, so many talented and great helpful people here and I can't wait to start on my own projects. I've done a lot of research on Foam Armor, Pepakura, Fiberglass & Resin and all that stuff and I feel I'm ready to print an unfolded Mass Effect Helmet.

I've ran into a problem though, apparently none of my printers support 110lb cardstock (I see it was commonly recommended) which suprised me because I thought it was pretty mainstream which I guess it isn't haha.

My question is, what printers are you guys using right now to print on 110lb cardstock? I've done some researching but most recommend printers that run up to $500 and are big and bulky. I guess I would rather take my prints to a print shop who will do 110lb cardstock instead.

Anyways, thanks for your time and I look forward to some suggestions.

What kind of printers do you use? I use an HP Officejet printer, I think it's a 4300 series, but I'm at work and can't confirm it at the moment. Here is a picture of what it basically looks like...

hp-officejet-4355-all-in-one-printer.jpg

It's a few years old, but it was cheap and it runs cardstock like a champ. Depending on what printer you're trying to use, you might be alright to run card-stock through it, even though it does not specify that it will support card-stock. I've never checked whether or not my printer is rated to print on card-stock, and I never will since I've run well over 500+ sheets through with no issues, and it's still going strong.

I have an option of 3 printers actually (you'd think one of them would run cardstock?). I have:
Samsung CLP-315 (Colour Laser Printer)
Brother MFC-210C - Inkjet all-in one
Brother HL-2220W or something, not at home as I can't verify

The Samsung and MFC-210C both have 90/180 degree turns in them respectively I think and I believe that's the problem, I believe printers that feed straight through the system works best. I've only tried the Samsung with cardstock though and it keeps getting stuck. The MFC-210C won't print anything even though I just changed the cartidges (that's a whole nother topic though and this isn't a tech support forum heh) and the last one I didn't even try because the specs said it didn't support 110lb cardstock.

The printer I use runs the paper through a 180 degree turn, no problem. I doubt that running one piece of cardstock through the HL-2220 will damage it if you want to test it out. Do it at your own risk though, I won't support it one way or another and be held responsible. All I'm saying is that if my cheap little printer can handle it, a more expensive printer should too.

Hey, thanks for the advice, I figured out my brother hl-2240 has a manual feed slot and so the cardstock goes through that.... time to start pepping!

ps... stay up at 110 or 100 lbs. cardstock. I'm in the states bro, so we could use the us-system of measurements when we talk. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back