Problems of being too young

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnotherFanboy

Hello! This is the second time I've asked for help. If I receive no help within a week I'll stop. Though I was wondering if anyone could help with receiving the templates for a foam Mk. V armor. I'm borrowing a Mac at the moment(so no downloading) and have been unable to receive outside help. So would any one be able to help? I just need each template page put on a separate pages, so I can print them locally. I am crafty so if you send me a front and back picture of the 3D model I'll figure things out. If your willing to help I'll put a list down below.
1x EOD Helmet
1x Collar/Grenadier Mk IV Chest
2x EVA Mk V Shoulders
2x UA/NxRA
2x FJ/Para Knee pads

Then the obvious:
2x Spartan(male) Forearm Armor
2x Spartan(male) Bicep Armor
2x Spartan(male) Thigh Armor
2x Spartan(male) Shin Armor
2x Spartan(male) Boot Armor
1x Spartan(male) COD armor

If you're willing to help thank you!

I'm not entirely sure as to what you're asking for - foam templates already exist for the Mk V base armour, and it's entirely possible to run Pepakura from a Windows emulator.

If you're asking for the printable file in image format, it can be done - but it's going to be very, very difficult for you to scale.

Yes that is,and yes, I do understand that it will be hard to do. Though, I am willing to do the work, as drawing up new templates is something very hard and time consuming.

So what you need is those files (Pepakura Designer Files) in a printable format such as PDF or JPEG?

Dracos, while I'll admit that the constant questions asking for help can often get a little tiring, I'm going to ask you to tone back the vitriol somewhat. No matter the reason or what your feelings are on the subject, we don't call out our members or attack them, even if you think it's justified or if you've had enough of their attitude.

If you find their posts to be objectionable, please use the 'Report' function. Don't stoop to their level by responding with a poor temper.

Oh, I didn't mean to sound snide. I just kind of pointed it out. Also no I am known as CarpWhisperer on YouTube. Also, sorry about violating the second post rule. Didn't know. About RobotChicken I understood he tried to help me, but I can't download anything on this Laptop. I, also, didn't know how to elaborate upon my problem more than what I stated.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, that is how I wanted the files. I just didn't know how to state it.

It's because I am borrowing somebody's Mac, and said person is very strict about their laptop being tampered with in anyway. This person is almost paranoid kind of strict. Though at this point I may just give up this project. It seems I've asked to much, which I understand. But like my original post said I have my own Windows laptop. It, however, is out of commission(Motherboard is basically fried). So, eh! I'll be spending a few weeks trying to draw templates, and failing for a while.

This hobby is all about being creative, so how about turning on some creative thinking. If you invested as much energy towards an alternate solution as you do towards asking people to provide files for you then you might have already been cutting foam by now. I get where you're coming from - when I first enrolled here I was asking people to send me PDF files so I could build armor using a Mac (as I abhor Windoze). I received about the same type of responses you're getting. Did that stop me? No, I dusted off my 10 yr old pc, reinstalled the OS, and came up with alternatives to get the job done. Now a year and a half later I'm modeling on both a Mac and a pc, uploading files to the archive, and helping newcomers (who are willing to help themselves). So you're not allowed to download anything to the Mac - that doesn't automatically mean you're not allowed to download anything to your own external Flash drive, SD card, USB drive, CD R/W disc, etc. You can get an SD card for less than $10 and it's plenty big enough for storing the files and running Pepakura remotely. (If you can't afford that, what makes you think you can afford to build a costume?) You don't need to have the downloaded file(s) physically on an internal hard drive in order to use them - that's just a convenience. Also, nearly every library in this city has at least one internet-connected computer so if it's similar where you live then there's another potential avenue for printing your files. And there are probably other viable solutions too.

RC, I think berating the poor guy is going to do him more harm than good at this point. He's explained why it's difficult for him to obtain and print foam templates - some of us don't have the luxury of native Pepakura support, nor the expertise or ability to get the program running. Standing about berating the poor kid won't change that, and while I do agree with the principle of what you're saying, unfortunately I don't quite agree with how you're carrying the sentiment. He's likely young, inexperienced, excited to start but unable to get around a few technical hurdles, we shouldn't be condescending because of that.

We've already been told that getting a Windows emulator running on this person's Mac isn't a viable solution - frankly, I don't blame the guy for not wanting to tinker around and potentially break something critical, and then have to repair two systems. Likewise - it may not be possible to use Pepakura at other locations. Certainly, I know of several libraries that lock off their USB slots to prevent anybody from doing anything malicious to their systems, and disable program installation rights to their terminals. My own library does exactly that - plus, consider that libraries can be busy places, it's not always viable to ask a clerk 'hey, give me five while I change the paper in this printer for cardstock, don't let any other print jobs come through the system'.

Again, I do understand your point, but your delivery could use a little spit-and-polish. The point of this place is to assist and encourage each other, not to talk down on newcomers and present the place as a closed-off group of elitists.

AnotherFanboy, I'll try my best to work out a solution for you. I'm aware that Pepakura has an 'export to BMP' option, so I'll look into this tomorrow for you. Let me know which files you'd like me to focus on, I'll have a hunt for some foam templates for you, and try and get a pack assembled for you. I, for one, would really like to see you come through your difficulties and show us all your creative talents.

Why don't you just convert them to PDF for him?

That was the plan.

Also Arcanine my last comment was meant to be a test not to be mean.

We're not in the business of hazing new members and making them endure unpleasant behaviour just to see if they'll stick around or not. We don't 'test' new members to see if they can tough it out and earn some respect - I'd like to think that as a community, we've learned to be pleasant to each other and not be so brash and unkind. We don't need to 'weed out' members - those who have the drive to work on their costumes will stick around. Those that don't, won't.

New members don't deserve this sort of conduct. Consider how you'd feel if you joined a forum and asked some questions, and only got berated and put down for it - it wouldn't be very pleasant, would it? It'd be pretty darned discouraging, in fact, and it makes the forum as a whole look like a bunch of elitists.

I don't want to have that sort of behaviour prevalent on the 405th. So, please - if you can't assist somebody, or if you can't be pleasant while doing so, then consider not hitting the 'Submit Reply' button. Nobody's asking you to be sunshine and rainbows, and force a smile, but at the same time, we don't need people taking it upon themselves to 'weed out' the people who won't stay long.

I'd like this to be the last on the matter - if anybody else has anything to add to this unsavoury discussion, please shoot me a Personal Message instead. We're here to help each other, not to put each other down.

On topic: I'll get on that conversion as soon as I'm able.

One short question, Arcanine: If he "can't download anything" on the computer he's using, how's a PDF (or even JPG for that matter) going to help him? He won't be able to download it anyway, per his own statement.

One short question, Arcanine: If he "can't download anything" on the computer he's using, how's a PDF (or even JPG for that matter) going to help him? He won't be able to download it anyway, per his own statement.

I'm pretty sure he meant 'I can't download and use Pepakura documents', not generic files. Use a little forward thinking - if he couldn't download anything he wouldn't be asking us for files, would he?

Now, can we please move away from this topic? I'm sure it's very nice to feel superior and validated, but continuing on the point after I've quite clearly asked you to stop isn't helping matters at all. Please - drop the subject, if you have anything further to argue about I invite you to take it to PMs. The forum isn't the place to be airing disagreements.

Oh, hi there Draco. Thank you for offering help. Arcanine is currently helping me, however, if there is a file I need help with I'll ask you. I feel Arcanine has already done so much, and asking him for anymore would be rude.

I went rummaging through my garage the other day. I found an old tower(possibly from mid 2000s) and a monitor. However, all the cords are gone and I now have to buy some new things(yay). Also, this is my alternate solution. As I mean I have been looking for ways around each of my dilemmas for a few months now. Which I mean I have been trying to draw templates and asking numerous friends. In those months, though, I have bought supplies, which the only item I lack is the actual foam(my local Home Depot doesn't stock it). If I run into a money problem I'll ask my friend for a loan of around $150, he has helped me for school related things before. How do I have a loan shark my age as a friend? Being Asian is seriously the only way I can explain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back