"Project Glass" and the possibilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaff

I think this probably fits better in the "Creation discusison" thread, but as I've been rather quiet in the forums (this being the fourth time I've posted anything and the first time starting a new thread), I'm not allowed to post there quite yet.

At any rate, I stumbled across something in my net surfing simply refered to as Google's "Project Glass." It's still in development at this point in time, but several prototypes have been made, as well as a demo video on youtube offering a snippet of the features Google hopes to incorperate into this new tech. They've termed them "enhanced reality glasses," and they're essentially your own personal HUD.

After seeing the video I got to thinking, "how cool would it be to integrate this into a Spartan helmet?" Imagine it. You would able to call/text your friends without having to dig your phone out or even take your helmet off. You could tag your location at conventions to let your fellow 405th-ers know where you are, or set up a place to gather for group photos and the like. And speaking of conventions, you could upload the convention schedule and get real-time directions to the various panels and events you want to attend all from within your helmet. You can take and share pictures and video to record all the good times and memories, as well as give a live "Spartan's Eye View" of the event or keep a record of the day, like your own personal "theatre mode." Plus you'd have access to many other Google apps, and who knows what else might be available by then.

This particular tech isn't available just yet (estimate another year or two), but the possibilities certainly have my imagination running wild like a sugar-high preschooler. I, like I'm sure many others, have been juggling around ideas of how to incorperate a helmet cam, bluetooth phone connectivity, and other electronics into a helmet's design without having to make it a bobble-head to fit everything inside. If this tech can affordably deliver on what it promises, I'd say we've got ourselves a winner.

Duuuuuuude!!!!! AWESOME!
Its just what halo Prop makers need! A FREAKING AWESOME HUD! THANK YOU GOOGLE! YOU HAVE YET TO FAIL ME! (except with chrome....could be better....)

If Google allows user-created apps, I'd imagine it wouldn't be long before some clever 405th-ers develop things like a "motion tracker" app as a spin-off to the "friend locator," or a compass similar to the top of the HUD in Reach. I'd imagine most elements of the HUD could be translated into apps.

That's got me thinking now...people have already shown a lot of creativity with the electronics they build into their suits and props. I wonder if it would be possible to integrate Lazer Tag circuitry into the weapons and armor, linked to a Glass app that gives you a readout of your ammo and how many hits you have left on your HUD.

I posted something back in 2008 (on my old account) about an idea for a hud, by putting a small screen in the helmet instead of a see-thru visor and a small hidden camera on the outside of the helmet, and maybe programming the hud design, so you can only see through the helmet when the camera/visor is on. I'm still thinking about trying it.

I posted something back in 2008 (on my old account) about an idea for a hud, by putting a small screen in the helmet instead of a see-thru visor and a small hidden camera on the outside of the helmet, and maybe programming the hud design, so you can only see through the helmet when the camera/visor is on. I'm still thinking about trying it.
Anybody know about projectors? Why not make a visor which catches light from one side(inside) and reflects it back, while do the same on the outside with tinted. Now for commands, it would have to be voice controlled or use Microsoft experimental retinal track. something like that, but just imagine, its going to take as much hardware thats in an iphone or ipod, and some extremely experimental tech.

I remember seeing this material on Pimp My Ride once, a kind of specially treated glass they used as a proojector screen. The material is see through (albeit with a slight iridescent effect, like looking through a giant soap bubble), but because of the treatment when an image is projected on it, it reflects off of the treated layer. It's still semi-see through when the image is being projected, and the image can be seen from both sides. So if someone were to make a visor out of that material they could put a piece of reflective window tint/film on the outside for the propepr visor look, and on the inside they could have their hud projected onto the visor, assuming a projector small enough to fit inside of a helmet exists. And there would need to be a module that tells the projector what to put on the HUD. Which basically sounds like the concept Google is doing with this Project Glass thing.

Still, the idea of a consumer-grade integrated HUD is awesome.

If Google allows user-created apps, I'd imagine it wouldn't be long before some clever 405th-ers develop things like a "motion tracker" app as a spin-off to the "friend locator," or a compass similar to the top of the HUD in Reach. I'd imagine most elements of the HUD could be translated into apps.

That's got me thinking now...people have already shown a lot of creativity with the electronics they build into their suits and props. I wonder if it would be possible to integrate Lazer Tag circuitry into the weapons and armor, linked to a Glass app that gives you a readout of your ammo and how many hits you have left on your HUD.

You could be lost at a con look at motion tracker, surrounded by red dots then a yellow one comes into view ( yay not forever alone!)

Seriously I've thought of adding health markers that dimly glow for my helmet ( still in early stages)

And pimp my ride ( yo dawg! I heared you like helmets) lol!

Dude....sooo geeking out right now. OH CRAP, THINK ABOUT IT! A live halo game. Each piece of armor hooked up to sensors, hud with motion sensor (more like tracker, but only when they are moving) guns are riged, and u get a plexxy knife with a chip in it and if it comes in contact with like a stomach or back sensor, instant assasination. Lol and 10 second spawn timer. Screw halo on xbox, this would be the future of halo gameing. Lol, caputre the flag is still my fav game type.

If u ever go to a big convention, there's tons of halo cosplayers. We need to organize a meet up at these cons so the 405th community can take part in games like ctf, koh, and slayer. Just for the fun of it. :)

You could be lost at a con look at motion tracker, surrounded by red dots then a yellow one comes into view ( yay not forever alone!)

Seriously I've thought of adding health markers that dimly glow for my helmet ( still in early stages)

And pimp my ride ( yo dawg! I heared you like helmets) lol!

I'd imagine if an app could be written to have all your friends show up as yellow dots on a "motion tracker" display it might be possible to have it detect other Glass (or perhaps smartphone/tablet) users in the area and give them a red dot. Although, that might possibly be bordering on invasion of privacy somehow. I wouldn't say knowing who has Glass or a smartphone and who doesn't would be an invasion of privacy, but there's probably somebody out there somewhere who would.

Hmm, perhaps for a static/simple HUD display using blacklight-reactive paint on the inside of the visor with a couple mini blacklight bulbs/LEDs housed near the edges of the visor to make them glow would work. Although I'm not 100% sure how safe or healthy it would be to have blacklights pretty much right in front of your eyes for hours on end.

Yea, I love watching Pimp My Ride. Lots of inspiration to be found there. That, and Dream Machines. Really hoping that comes back for a second season. If/when I ever win some kind of lotto or big money sweepstakes, I'm going down to Melbourne, FL to have the Parker Brothers build me a custom Brute chopper.

If u ever go to a big convention, there's tons of halo cosplayers. We need to organize a meet up at these cons so the 405th community can take part in games like ctf, koh, and slayer. Just for the fun of it. :)

And just imagine having a little screen pop up on your visor with an invite notice saying where and when they plan to meet up. Could possibly even do it through video conference call from the looks of how Glass might work.

2 Words:

Land Warrior.

Kinda seems like this Project Glass is Googles attempt at civilian-grade "Land Warrior" capabilities. I wonder how complicated it would be with the Spartan Lazer Tag idea to link the tagger's sight to the Glass and have a reticule displayed on your visor so you know exactly where you're aiming. Or perhaps a small "picture in picture" type deal so you can see where the gun's aiming even if it's not looking in the same direction as your helmet.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about this idea, taken to a new level?

598641_366175323466470_2010171348_n.jpg

"Contact Lenses of the Future, 2020

► Low light and night time conversions.
► Facial recognition tracking.
► Thermal camera.
► Wireless connection to a computer device.
► Virtual reality.
► GPS locator.
► Cell phone.
► Weather forecasting.
► Internet.

Meanwhile, its focusing rings can allow the wearer to see much further than a person could normally."

Taken from the "Unusual Facts" Facebook page...

http://www.facebook.com/unufacts

I doubt this will see the light of day in our time, and it's probably a joke, but I thought I'd throw it out there as speculation. This would eliminate the need to project anything on the inside of the helmet, and the need to wear something resembling strange glasses.

As it stands right now I'd have to hope that Glass can still be used by people who wear prescription glasses. Even if these contacts did/will exist, I'd be out of luck. I'm one of those people that just talking about messing around with the eyes at all makes mine water and twitch like crazy. I don't think I could ever stand having to put contacts in, and having something attached to my eye all day would drive me crazy (my eyes are already twitching just typing about it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back