Project: Hayabusa Helmet... And A Little Somethin Else...

Status
Not open for further replies.

agbates

Wow! There sure is a whole lot of progress being made by the community! Now we have all the pep files for all the different permutations found in halo 3 except for the hayabusa helmet. Great job to everyone who has helped model these for the community.

Well anyways, I have been seeing stuff about the busa helmet everywhere lately. First there were the shoulders. Then there was Skupilkinson's Chest. Now Spartan 051 has decided to model a busa helmet.

If you read through my project bumblebee topic, you probably heard me say that I'm a perfectionist. Please don't take this personally, its just I for the most part like to do things like this myself. So that I know if it is really accurate ot not. Personally I think I have OCD. It sucks because anything I do that doesn't come out right I start completely over and redo it.

But anyways, to get to the point, I too have decided to model the busa helmet. I started late last night and I am starting to get somewhere already. Everything so far is pretty low poly, but once I get a little bit farther I will up the poly count. Well here are my renders so far... tell me what you think.

Oh, and please note I still got a long ways to go so alot things have still gotta be fixed. (the crown for example needs to be slightly changed.

Myhayabusahelmet1.jpg

Myhayabusahelmet2.jpg

Oh and in case anyone was wondering, I am planning on releasing this to the community, so definately post what you think! :D

***** EDIT *****

Here are all the different unfolds of my Hayabusa Helmet.

My unfold will be slightly easier to put together than the other two but will take more paper. I set it up so that way if you assemble it in the order of the pages starting with the mouth first it would be a whole lot easier to put together. I spent 5 hours believe it or not trying to make sure it was unfolded perfectly. I checked every edge and flap maikng sure it would be easy.

Ral Partha's and Crackhead09's unfolds are going to be slightly tougher to put together, but will take less paper. In my opinion they both look very similiar so I couldn't just post one.

It all just depends on your style of folding.

Anyways if you use these files please give credit to me (Agbates) for making the 3d model, and credit to whichever person unfolded the file you used, whether it was me (Agbates), Ral Partha, or Crackhead09.

Well here they are, happy unfolding!

<a href="http://www.4shared.com/file/55971021/23801b1f/Agbates_-_Hayabusa_Helmet.html?dirPwdVerified=eb8071b2" target="_blank">
Agbates's Hayabusa Helmet, unfolded by Agbates
</a>

<a href="http://www.4shared.com/get/55478928/941bc460/Hayabusa_Helmet_by_agbates.html" target="_blank">
Agbates's Hayabusa Helmet, unfolded by Ral Partha
</a>

<a href="http://www.4shared.com/get/55462792/cf79106b/Hayabusa_unfold_by_crackhead09.html" target="_blank">
Agbates's Hayabusa Helmet, unfolded by Crackhead09
</a>

Well, it looks like you're off to a good start here.

Thankfully, this helmet isn't really available anywhere on the net yet so with a bit of luck past debates from your BumbleBee thread won't surface here.

I look forward to seeing more.

Thanks alot! Thats one of the reasons why I chose to model it now rather than later. I already knew I wanted to model it, but wanted to finish BB first. But then I started looking at threads and saw jow people were talking about modeling it. Oh yeah, I heard you were gonna try and model it too? If you need any reference images just ask me. I went into halo yesterday and got some really good pics. Anyways good luck with your project as well.

I'm set for reference material thanks. ;) Good luck with this, mine will be slow going as I have some commitments but I'll be watching this one as well as '051's design.

Yeah I was looking at 051s earlier. He isn't doing bad for modeling it in sketchup. Sketchup really isn't the kind of program to use for modeling of this kind. But anyways I think with a little bit of work it should come out good.

*edit

I also heard you were gonna model the turret. Good luck if you model that as well. Thats one of my favorite weapons and Im sure it would be awesome holding one of hose things in your hands!

NZ-TK said:
This looks like a great start :)

Thanks alot! I should be back at work here in a couple of hours so I should have more pics later.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I have been working the past couple of hours and got a good bit more done. Here are the new pics, tell me what you think.

Myhayabusahelmet3.jpg

Myhayabusahelmet4.jpg

Myhayabusahelmet5.jpg

Thanks Im trying to decide whether or not to keep the details on the mouth, they are kind of pointless.

*Edit

So hows your Hayabusa helmet coming NZ, all your helmets look AWESOME.

LOL! I'm not racing anyone. :) Not got the time to, or the reason to really.

I think this one is looking very nice, though I think you're better off dumping the detail around the mouth. It over-complicates the pep build. Those fine details can be added later. ;)

Race or not, the helmets look mighty impressive. As for the mouthpiece details, I like them in there. The helmet is not for beginners anyway.

thats what I was thinking. Now that I thought about they are pointless. Just look at NZ's mouth gaurd.

*edit

Well I guess I can make 2 versions for you guys...

HD

and um... regular I guess....lol

Thanks Im trying to decide whether or not to keep the details on the mouth, they are kind of pointless.
So hows your Hayabusa helmet coming NZ, all your helmets look AWESOME.

What I do when designing a pep file, is I model the finer details, then remove them but, leave the underlying geometry, pepakura will read it as being flat, but the the vertex's will still be there, so you can use them as keys for adding details symmetrically later. My hayabusa is moving along slowly, Ill put the newest pictures up soon :)

Yeah thats what I thought about doing because it would show me exactly where all the little details need too go. And as for your helmets, once you get the base done you just kind of kitbash to get the details don't you? Like in your EVA and EOD helmet?

I look for the fastest easiest way to get the cleanest shape I can, sometimes its clay, sometimes its built plastic, sometimes its bondo on pepakura, sometimes its found/re-purposed objects. Because the EOD has so many flat areas I made a lot of it from sheet plastic, the hayabusa on the other hand has a lot more complex surface, so its fabricated as about 8 separate sculptures in clay, foam and plastic, that will be assembled into a helmet in the end. I only use pepakura to actually sculpt on when there is no better way. If I was going to do the EVA again, I would do it completely differently, anyway, I'll stop hijacking your thread now. sorry :)

NO! DO HIJACK MY THREAD! ITS EDUCATIONAL! GO ON OH GREAT ONE!

*EDIT

yeah, I got a little too carried away....

Daeuuummm!! First there was no Busa helmet for a year.. Now theres an explosion of them! Theyre everywhere! :lol:

Looking good! Cant wait to see it finished. I dont think I'l bother finishing 051's model now :(

smilie120 said:
Daeuuummm!! First there was no Busa helmet for a year.. Now theres an explosion of them! Theyre everywhere! :lol:

Looking good! Cant wait to see it finished. I dont think I'l bother finishing 051's model now :(

Yeah, I really don't want to sound mean or arrogant, but its not that accurate. Dont take this the wrong way. Its really good for a first attempt. Im sure in the future he will be one of our sites modelers and help us out alot. But anyways I am getting really far on the helmet. If I keep at it, I might even be done with it tonight. Granted I still have to unfold it, but thats easy compared to this. Oh and I also wanted to ask, is there anything anyone wants me to model after this? If Skupilkinson doesn't model the turret I think I might do that or a rocket launcher with removable missles, and the opening hatch to put them in. Oh and I know Im not really supposed to talk about this, but if any of you guys still do want to see the progress of my bumblebee camaro just pm me because I am still working on it even if Im no longer allowed to post about it.

Just remember to make a request for what you want me to do next. And if anyone either has a list or could make a list of weapons, armor, equipment, anything halo related that there is not available as a pep or 3d file that Im sure would help me and all the other 3d modelers get stuff done quicker.

But, be expecting an update later tonight probably. I've been working on this since 7:00 this mornin (My time is now 1:40pm) and am going to try really hard to get this finished for everybody tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back