Prototype NERF MA40 Mag concept

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messiahlad

Hello Spartans,

I'm new to the 405th but I thought I would share my recent fun with the NERF MA40. Currently I am prototyping MA40 Mag cover to go onto 10 or 12 dart NERF mags so the prop can have spare mags when using the blaster. This is my first 3D model that I have sketched in Fusion 360 and the V1 is printing as I type, but I thought I would share my concept and eventually the files once it works (hopefully).

I also made a template to print our a ammo counter onto a transparent sheet so anyone can put a light in the NERF counter. The PDF template prints in A4 and has 10, 32 and 60 as the numbers. I used clear blue film and a cut out of an LCD screen diffuser film from an old laptop in my mine.

Hopefully I have posted these in the right place and that they will be helpful people as it has been a fun learning curve for me. Once it has printed successfully (fingers crossed) I will share my results.

MessiahLad 027

V1 Mag adapter.PNG

V1 Mag adapter well.PNG

NERF Ammo Counter
led counter.jpg

I have CR2032 battery inside it and a small switch on the side, which my son loves and steals it for his NERF guns as well.
counter2.jpg

Attachments

• angle side.PNG
    angle side.PNG
    108.3 KB · Views: 290
  • angled rear.PNG
    angled rear.PNG
    85.3 KB · Views: 182
  • V1 Mag adapter well depth.PNG
    V1 Mag adapter well depth.PNG
    47.9 KB · Views: 199
  • top.PNG
    top.PNG
    79 KB · Views: 173
  • V1 Mag adapter well.PNG
    V1 Mag adapter well.PNG
    150.2 KB · Views: 175
  • V1 Mag adapter.PNG
    V1 Mag adapter.PNG
    142 KB · Views: 211
  • AC MA40 Template Multi number publish.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 359
Can you share more details on the ammo counter? That looks awesome and I would love to do something similar to mine.

Can you share more details on the ammo counter? That looks awesome and I would love to do something similar to mine.
Absolutely, I when I get home tonight I'll take some pics and make some notes as it is a very easy mod. Once the transparency is done, you just cut it to fit inside the counter window.

But the parts list is as simple as a CR2032 battery and holder, a 5 mm blue LED which works fine at 3v, a tactile latching switch, some blue film or even better some blue transparency and then something to diffuse the light to make it even. I used the film that came from an old LCD monitor (laptop in this case) removed it from between the LCD panel and the backlight, but you can us baking paper instead, but LED diffuser works really well.

One thing I needed to do is trim the plastic which the clear window is held in by as it blocks some of the light, so trimming it to just the corners made it look better. For the next build though I might try to print a battery, switch and LED bracket as a single piece to make it easier becuase you can get a better switch design that way, more hidden.

SitRep:
Before leaving for work this morning I checked the printing but unfortunately the PTFE coupler had let go, releasing the tube and filament during the night, so I have a failed print but it was enough to show that the model has promise. The test fit seemed good, but screw holes could be wider. I will know in another 12 hours if the next print finishes if the prototype is a success. When it is finalised, I will share it here. For a first sketch, I am really happy with how it has came to life.

PXL_20201111_202903974.jpg
PXL_20201111_202850100.jpg
PXL_20201111_202842707.jpg

Any update on this? Would love to try this out.
Sorry I got caught up with Christmas and work. But still finalizing it. Two changes for the mag adaptor:
#1 I have to trim the forward section so it recesses cleanly into the mag well properly. Plus I'd like to increase the height of the rear so it get closer to the blaster for aesthetics.

#2 I'd like redesign it so can be more accurate to the original and that the Springs from a real mag can be transferred to the printed one for a 1:1 replica.

For the ammo counter, I am resigning the internals so I can print a module to house the battery and led in a simple way for people, then make a guide.

Time is running out as I return to my degree again soon, so I will work on it this week.

Sorry I got caught up with Christmas and work. But still finalizing it. Two changes for the mag adaptor:
#1 I have to trim the forward section so it recesses cleanly into the mag well properly. Plus I'd like to increase the height of the rear so it get closer to the blaster for aesthetics.

#2 I'd like redesign it so can be more accurate to the original and that the Springs from a real mag can be transferred to the printed one for a 1:1 replica.

For the ammo counter, I am resigning the internals so I can print a module to house the battery and led in a simple way for people, then make a guide.

Time is running out as I return to my degree again soon, so I will work on it this week.
Awesome, thank you. I'll be printing the mag additions as soon as they are released.

No time to reprint, so I hacked off the parts that were too wide so I can take some new measurements.
Using a 10 round Raven mag, it slides right in and now I have the measurements to make a 12 round "clone" magazine adaptor.

These just dress up existing NERF mags for a quick extra magazine. But once the STL is done I'll post it so people can play with it.

Ultimately, I'd like to remix an existing 10 round magazine file and add the aesthetics of the MA40 mag to it, so it can be slimmer.

I use clear mags as I intend to have UV led arrays in the blaster for glow darts and they make the process easier.

Also going to design and reprint the torch part so it's easier to add your own LED setup instead of just adding an existing torch.

So the 3 mods will be:

LED and battery housing for the ammo counter.

Mag adaptor to dress up 10 and 12 round mags.

Replacement torch for easier modding while keeping the original intact. There is enough room in the fore grip to house 2 AAA batteries for the torch for a simple mod rather then stepping down from the 6v from the main batteries (they don't have enough amps to run both the led and the motor at once but lithium does).

PS my experience with nerf mods and CAD are very new skills to me so I'm still refining ability.

Attachments

• PXL_20210222_103416281.jpg
    PXL_20210222_103416281.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 340
  • PXL_20210222_103403523.jpg
    PXL_20210222_103403523.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 315
  • PXL_20210222_103348439.jpg
    PXL_20210222_103348439.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 406
  • PXL_20210222_103316757.jpg
    PXL_20210222_103316757.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 478
  • PXL_20210222_103137657~2.jpg
    PXL_20210222_103137657~2.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 291
Version One for the 10 round Mag Adapter is ready for upload and is currently printing just to confirm, but all measurements have been applied to the model and converted to STL in two halves: Left and Right which screw together, but need a dash of glue on one corner due to the lack of solid body for a screw placement. What I've noticed is that Chinese clone mag are little bit thinner then genuine NERF mags and work better as the NERF ones get squeezed a bit which can prevent the travel of the dart platform - a quick file down fixes it.

If someone wants to be an early guinea pig I can share the STL to test.

Attachments

• Travel path cut.PNG
    Travel path cut.PNG
    131.9 KB · Views: 175
Also considering a 6 round Mag size to improve the look of the blaster in an attempt to make it a little more accurate.

I also drew and printed the prototype of the Torch replacement as well.

Attachments

• MA40 Mag size issue.jpg
    MA40 Mag size issue.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 9,875
  • PXL_20210223_132804696.jpg
    PXL_20210223_132804696.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 483
Draft STL files for the Mag Adapter - which I still consider in-progress, but giving people a chance to try them on a 10 round mag.

Shared via my G-Drive for the moment, which also contains the current template for the MA40 Ammo Counter and the prototype template for the MA5B Ammo Counter for the Halo MA5B rifle prop by OddWorks on thingiverse.

Also considering a 6 round Mag size to improve the look of the blaster in an attempt to make it a little more accurate.

I also drew and printed the prototype of the Torch replacement as well.
I would pay disgusting amounts of money for a couple of short mags if they managed to fit into the original magazine release tab in the mag well. Funtionality would be optional but I'd imagine you'd just have to shorten the follower spring in the magazine to get it to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back