Question About The "report" Button

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice198

Alrighty, hey guys. Well, Due to the big Beowulf things going on...
I decided I'd hit the Report button on the thread, when I did, I wasnt quite sure what to type in the box.
what are you supposed to type? - Ice

Hehe ^^

I would recommand to people when reporting to copy paste the post. Because it happened to me today, and the guy just edited his post and I'm looking stupid after ^^

Another suggestion is that you use the report button on the post being reported, not your own posting that follows it. Our Reports link directly to the post where the button was pressed, and their can be confusion sometimes as we work our way backwards through what is sometimes a sea of complaints, looking for infractions.

Yes, there are times where someone may change their post, but that doesn't make anyone look stupid because as a Mod we sometimes have several of us that get there around the same time and may have already corrected the offense (and/or taken action against it).

What makes folks look silly is when they respond to bad stuff.. where you complain about stuff in your posts, referring to things that have been removed, possibly even quoting cursewords and everything. If you don't dignify bad parts of posts with a responce, the thread will make much more sense when the offending post is corrected or removed, and it sometimes means less work for the mods.

Also, if the post was bad, and now it's good, then the problem takes care of itself with no harm done. We like to see that because it means that someone knew they did something wrong and took steps to correct it on their own. We all make mistakes, but THIS suggests that they're sincerely sorry for their mistake, and probably won't do it again.

Finally, if someone does something wrong, we only need one or two members posting a reminder to them.. not a handfull of members that quote the cursing (thereby repeating it) and complain about it loudly but don't even report it. I've found posts that were multi necroed with about 6 complaints each time, but it was never reported.

You'd probably be amazed at how fast we can answer a reported post. The other day we had a spammer that we nailed 25 minutes after they joined. Once they were reported, they were banned and all posts removed within like 2-3 minutes of the report. We had to clean up their posts and quotes of the spammed website link, but we got that done too, all within those 3 minutes.

If there's no report, you're assuming that a mod is going to wander into that thread soon and do something about it. We can't be everywhere but we CAN be everywhere you report.

We're probably going to start deleting stuff like "follow-up complaints" more often because their useless once the offense is taken care of, and (for example) a necroed thread won't go back to where it belongs until new posts are removed, and folks stop posting on it. If you're doing a post like that.. consider this advance notification that I will delete your post without further contact with you... it's nothing personal, it's just house cleaning.

Just remember, you're hitting the report button to say "Hey mods, there's something wrong with this post, please come look" and the "message box" you fill out for us should tell us what you felt was wrong with it, and/or what board rules it's breaking. (ie- cursing, censored cursing, necro post, 5th post today with the same off-topic link in it, attacking members, etc.)

I'd say make it simple. If you don't like a post/thread, report it then stay away from responding to it. A mod will show up, determine the course of action(if any), most likely make a response post(again if necessary), and then all is well.

:)

And, I'm going to go with Dead about the deleting necroposts without contacting the offenders.

People need to get better with the search bar too, cause I'm tired of merging topics started the same day about the same subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back