Question on Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shippox10

Jr Member
Well, I'm new to the forum. Enough said. I had a question on armor based on looks/body coverage. I don't want to pick an armor then find out 1/2 way through that it shows lots of black underarmor. So heres a question:

Is the pep armor in this topic better: Tutorial: How to use Pepakura to make your Mjolnir Armor

Or the pep armor in this topic: HALO 3! Need a bit of help making usable Pepakura models., Be the only spartan on your block with EVA or CQB variant armor!

Also, on the resin I looked at in the store said you could use it in a well ventilated area, but if you got dizzy you should use a respirator. Does this mean I can do it without a respirator if I do it outside/in the garage.

Thank you for your help.

-Heavenly Demon

Always, always use a respirator!! A good one, not those cheapo "dust masks". Long ago, I was finishing up 6 1/6th scale German Kubelwagens, all made of resin. Halfway through I developed a nasty lung infection. Told the doctor what I was doing what type of respirator I was using (the el cheapo dust mask) He said that was no good, and I might as well be eating broken Pepsi bottles. I bought a good resprirator ($20-30) and finished up the project. 2 months later, my lung infection was healed.

Hollis DZC said:
Always, always use a respirator!! A good one, not those cheapo "dust masks". Long ago, I was finishing up 6 1/6th scale German Kubelwagens, all made of resin. Halfway through I developed a nasty lung infection. Told the doctor what I was doing what type of respirator I was using (the el cheapo dust mask) He said that was no good, and I might as well be eating broken Pepsi bottles. I bought a good resprirator ($20-30) and finished up the project. 2 months later, my lung infection was healed.

There you go! You should always use a respirator, no matter what the chemical is, cus they're all pretty evil. I'd also suggest doing this with somebody who has experience with some chemicals that are sort of like it. The help could make a lot of difference. With your question as too which one to take, i personally am doing the Halo 2 pep tutorial one. The halo 3 one would be great to make after your first suit. that way if you make a little mistake on the halo 2 one it wont be so bad=]

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the reason I'm asking is my parents don't want me to buy a respirator. They think it will cost too much. So that's why I was wondering if I could loophole it by doing it outside. If not, where could I buy a cheap respirator that would do the job?

And by the way Darkfire, based on the armor ur making, how much coverage does it look like there will be? Does it show a lot of black?

Medical treatment is more expensive than a $30 respirator. Offer to do some chores or something extra but there's no way to do this project without one.

Also I made the pep armor in the: How to use Pepakura to make your Mjolnir Armor. I think it looks really great and fits well. Take a look at MacAttack's finished armor in the hall of honor to see how good it can turn out :)

:devil:
-Vex

The armor in the How to Use Pepakura tutorial is made from the Halo 2 game models.

Slyfo's stuff is made from Halo 3 and higher poly but a little harder to make. I think it is better though.

Now I'm even more torn on what version I want to make. Also, another question. It's probably obvious, but can you sit down in pep armor that had been resined and fiberglassed? Also, when you resin the outside of the pep, do you take the paper out or leave it in? In other words, how strong is it?

Heavenly Demon said:
Now I'm even more torn on what version I want to make. Also, another question. It's probably obvious, but can you sit down in pep armor that had been resined and fiberglassed? Also, when you resin the outside of the pep, do you take the paper out or leave it in? In other words, how strong is it?
one or two layers should be fine for other armor but for the buttplate you should be doing 4-5 layers so it doesnt shatter and plunge into your rear.

i also heard that you should resin the outside, let it cure, then fiberglass the INSIDE
then sand the paper and resin on the outside away.

Last edited by a moderator:
So the fiberglass isn't strong enough to hold you own weight?

You sand the resin on the outside off?? Has anyone else heard this?

And once again, does anyone know where I can get a cheap respirator??? Any help would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back