questions about casting molds ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deathbox

Jr Member
i havent cast any molds of anything before and i have a general knowledge of how to do it, which should be good enough. i figure i can cast a helmet fine, however, i am unclear on how to cast a mold of a piece that is open such as a chest piece or thigh piece. is there anyone who could give me some tips on how to make casts of open ended pieces such as chests, thighs, biceps, etc?

im thinking that after i fiber glass the inside of the piece and prep it as normal i would then kinda like cut some cardboard to fit the openings and tape them in place to fill in the open ends. would that work or am i way off?

Are you planning on making casts of yourself to work from first or are you just going off measurements and making models straight off the bat?

im thinking that after i fiber glass the inside of the piece and prep it as normal i would then kinda like cut some cardboard to fit the openings and tape them in place to fill in the open ends. would that work or am i way off?

You have the right idea. If you do this expect to have to do a bit of cleanup where you sealed the opening afterward.

I decided that for me it is easier to make parts like those into two piece molds. Because I work in thin layers of smooth cast I like to ensure that I am getting even coverage throughout the mold. It is more difficult to see what is going on in the blind spots when you are limited to one view while slush casting. Expect for some areas to be thicker than others.

im making a War Machine suit. i figured instead of painting the one suit i have i could just cast molds and make tons of suits to make variants. i am probably going to take the pieces that are open ended and basically seal them off to make things like the thigh pieces into a solid cylinder so i can cast as one big piece. also, i have no freakin clue how much molding material (silicone, cmooth cast, etc) i will need to cast my suit. the big container of the smooth cast is like $90 or something, anyone know how far that big container will go? ... i would appreciate it if someone who has cast molds of an entire suit could help me out with an idea of how much i will need to cast the molds and how much plastic i would need to produce one set of armor.

this is what i need to cast:

helmet
chest & back
shoulders
biceps x2
elbow
forearms x2
hand plate
abdominal section
cod piece
thigh x2
shin x2
foot
various little accessories like small discs and such

probably like 20-22 molds total.

You can keep open ends by "blocking them" with objects. (ie use a thermos wrapped in clingwrap to make it the right diameter and put that in the place where you want the open end to be).

Else you can just make it as a closed piece and dremel the bejeebus out of it at the end.

OR paint product in using a layering system, rather than slush moulding.

I also always break my gear up into lots of pieces - a lot lighter to work with, you can work on another while one cures, easier to put on and get off, and better for movement.

Is safe to cast pepakura pieces and how much does it cost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back