Questions about Hot Knifes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fabled

Jr Member
I've been looking at using a Hot knife instead of an Xacto Knife, as last time It felt like I broke my finger after cutting for 20 minutes, and after looking at options I'm having trouble finding out where to get a hot knife tip for a soldering iron by itself as all I seem to find are with the soldering iron as well. Does anyone know a store or somewhere reliable online where I could get one or 2? Also, the last question I have is, what kind of cutting mat should I use when using a hot knife? All I seem to be able to find are just plastic sheets and to me a hot knife would cut through it easily.

I got my hot knife at Michaels and my cutting mat at Walmart. Both work great

"I'm just a witness"

I got my hot knife at Michaels and my cutting mat at Walmart. Both work great

"I'm just a witness"

I've been looking at multiple options for a Hot knife, I'm just trying to save money right now because money is a bit tight, about the cutting mat though, is it the clear "self healing" one? It's the only kind I've been able to find around and I just get the feeling that a hot knife would just cut right through it.

Edit: Ohh, I just looked on Michales and thats a lot cheaper than anything i've found. Thanks!

No problem. The cutting mat is purple and self healing. No problem at all with it going through. I had originally purchased an A4 sized one from a Chinese seller on eBay for $4 shipped. It worked well (although it wasn't self healing so marked a lot) but it just wasn't big enough. I decided to splurge on the really big one from Wally World but I figure my kids can used it for crafts and school projects too.

"I'm just a witness"

Thanks for the info Jme, it helped out a lot and I'll hopefully be able to start working on my armor again by this weekend.

My pleasure. Good luck!

"I'm just a witness"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back