Quick Q about HD armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am by no means an expert 3D modeler but I have a pressing question. I want to kno how many people think that the basic suit should be finished in hi def before the armor perms are made. I domt want to pressure Robo or FS into switching projects, but I dont see myself spending time in a half hi def suit. Im shootin for august as a comp. date. this is my second time around so im gonna make it, but I wanna kno, Will the basic hi def suit be out by then?
Im talkn bout':
Forearms
Belt/ groin
Upper legs
Lower legs.

Is anyone workin on these? I dont wanna hav 2 make 2 sets of each- Hi and LO def and i dont see a point in wearn half hi def armor. It wuld just look strange, hi def torso, genaric legs...

just wanted 2 kno

P.S. I ABSOLUTLY APPRICIATE THE MODELERS WHO WORKED HARD ON THE HI DEF STUFF ALREADY THX ROBO / FLYING SQURRIL!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's easier to just do the High-Def pieces now, get finished with them (Bondo, sand, etc.)

Paint em, then move to the next HD piece.

Once you're done with them all, there should be a few HD pieces more floating around.

If not, just take a low-def piece and let Bondo work its magic.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think exactly the same way, except then the armor pieces make me mad, so I stop making them and make something more enjoyable, such as the CQB helmet.

ImaGonnaGetYou said:
It's easier to just do the High-Def pieces now, get finished with them (Bondo, sand, etc.)

Paint em, then move to the next HD piece.

Once you're done with them all, there should be a few HD pieces more floating around.

If not, just take a low-def piece and let Bondo work its magic.
QFT

Trust me, by the time you finish building the helmet, torso, hand plates, and biceps, PLUS resining, bondoing and detailing, there should be plenty more HD pieces for you to dive into.

Do what you can now, worry about the rest later.

In short, you could make the models yourself but you dont want to work your ass off and want to other people to make the dirty job for you..?

If you would be kind enough you would apriciate the hard work of ROBO and SQUIRRELL and let them finish when they are done, they dont have to finish anything if they dont want to.. they have already worked more for the community then we need to. They are making this stuff just so we could enjoy... volounteerely.

Not trying to be mean really... it's just that squirrell and robo, and the others, have made this stuff free for us and you should respect that.

And yeah, there should be more HD pieces when your done with the 2 biceps torso and helmet..

-Fin(n)ish

Finnish - I think he kinda is respecting FS and Robo for their work. He just doesn't want a suit that is 1/2 hi def and the other low.

I understand (sorta) where he is coming from. I have enough work right now from FS and Robo to keep me busy for quite a while (since I'm still sizing some parts). Like Nick said, build what is there, get it "finished" to your standards and there will be more HD pieces for you to work on after that. Personally I thank both those guys for making my armor making a lot easier than it would have been (except for some of the insane folds :rolleyes ) Patience grasshopper, all good things come to those who wait.

Hi guys,
I want to say a big thank you to everyone who makes these pep files. I would have no clue where to start!
I have just made my first helmet from JediFraz's files and I have to say it was pretty straight forward thanks to all of the helpful pieces people have written on this site. It is nowhere near finished but it is well on the way.
I had no problem with sizing JediFraz's helmet, I came out with a scale of 26.10807 and I want to have a go at building FS' HD helmet but I can't quite work out the scaling. The basic pep file scale is .2532 which is quite a bit different.
Is there a standard scaling for these things or does each creator use a different scale? Is it just a question of trial and error? I just don't want to waste a lot of cardstock (save the planet and all that!!).
I don't want anyone to do the hard work for me, just a gentle nudge in the right direction would be really appreciated!
Take it easy one and all,
Matty P :)

As far as I know there isn't a standard scale. I think FS scaled his to Master Chief which is 86. There are a few testers out there that you can use first. What I did was print a test helm on standard paper. This will give you a very good idea if the scale is right. Just remember to trim out the bottom of the neck to you can put your head in it. You should have some room to move the helm around on your head since you have to resin/fiberglass it and add a liner. This is just a "primer" to get you started so any of you "old" members who have been through the helmet scenario feel free to correct me or add to this.

Finnish_Spartan said:
Big Matty P said:
Hi guys,
Matty P :)
How? Wtf?! how can you post here? o_O

-Fin(n)ish
Anyone, including noobs, can post a reply to an existing thread. They just can't start a new thread anywhere else other than the Noobs forum.

tlither said:
As far as I know there isn't a standard scale. I think FS scaled his to Master Chief which is 86. There are a few testers out there that you can use first. What I did was print a test helm on standard paper. This will give you a very good idea if the scale is right. Just remember to trim out the bottom of the neck to you can put your head in it. You should have some room to move the helm around on your head since you have to resin/fiberglass it and add a liner. This is just a "primer" to get you started so any of you "old" members who have been through the helmet scenario feel free to correct me or add to this.

Thanks a lot tlither,
I figured that was the case and I was thinking about doing the test on plain paper. It will be better in any case than doing it on card and I can always recycle it if it looks way too big!
I just need to get another glue gun now because I just ran out of glue sticks for my wife's gun and funny old thing, they are a strange shape and can't be found anywhere.....typical. I can't crack on with the chest piece till then :(
Anyway, thanks again.
Matty P

All the modelers have different scales. Mine is full scale is 86, so you enter your hieght in inches to get the scale. FS's is full scale is 0.3xxxxx or something, so you have to enter the scale in the assembled hieght box. Slyfo's scale is 19.xxxx, so you have to enter the scale in the assembled hieght box. JediFraz's is scaled so full scale is 30.xx, so you calculate your hieght compared to the chief, then enter it in the scale box.

There will be a full HD suit eventually. I'm not going to just say "I give up, deal with half a suit. I want these HD pieces just as much as you guys, so I wont quit. It just might take a while. Besides, if you just work on one piece at a time (that means assemble, fiberglass, bondo, paint, and maybe molding), there will be more HD pieces done before you finish the exsisting ones.

For getting the scale right, build tester models. You can use scrap cardstock or even regular paper and tape to build it. It just gives you an idea as to if it is the correnct size. When you find the right size, then you build the HD model with 110lb cardstock.

i congrat everyone that trying hard and giving to this site wth the high def models .

for the past few days i've been trying to model the forearms,there not there yet but determine to make them.

ARM33.jpg

there are others with super accurate detail like nuggets and such but it's their choice to release.

but as everyone here has been saying , take your time on one high def armor , take's awhile to finish and before you know it msomeone will come up with another part of HD for halo suit

Robogenisis said:
All the modelers have different scales. Mine is full scale is 86, so you enter your hieght in inches to get the scale. FS's is full scale is 0.3xxxxx or something, so you have to enter the scale in the assembled hieght box. Slyfo's scale is 19.xxxx, so you have to enter the scale in the assembled hieght box. JediFraz's is scaled so full scale is 30.xx, so you calculate your hieght compared to the chief, then enter it in the scale box.

Ok cool, I think I get it. I'll just trial and error it up to the max and see what happens.
I have to say I love this new found hobby of mine and this website.... I can't sing it's praises enough.
I have always been into making crazy outfits for fancy dress parties and so on but this is something else. I had always wanted to try to make a stormtrooper suit of armour but was always put off by the whole full body cast and vacuum forming thing. Now of course the Chief has come along and put paid to that idea once and for all.
Thanks again for all you guys effort making the pep files. I honestly don't know how you do it, it is a real skill!!
Just out of interest, how long does it take to stop being a noob? I have read a LOT of threads but I haven't seen one that explains it. I'm not bothered at all, I'll be here for a while now I can promise you that! Just curious.
Anyway, gotta go, I have to pack and go on ground school for a few weeks so see you all around :)
Matty P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back