Razgriz's Flamethrower Wip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razgriz

Well, I had a day off work today and was pretty darn bored. I went out to the garage and noticed an old board leaning up against the wall. The previous night I was holding my brother's Halo Combat Evolved action figure's flamethrower and was looking at the frame. It looked pretty basic so I decided I wanted to try to build one some time in the near future. Well, today is the near future relative to yesterday :).

Here is the basic frame.
FlameThrower021.jpg
The upper carrying handle is not the final one. It was just something I put on at the last minute so I could carry it. The rear handle/trigger also isn't done, obviously. Basically, all I have done right now is the frame, but that's actually a lot of the weapon itself.

Here's another angle and me holding it.
FlameThrower022.jpg
FlameThrower027.jpg

It might look a bit short, but take it mind it's still missing most of the front.
FlameThrower030.jpg

I still haven't decided what to make the plates where the shark head is out of. I'm going to put on a layer of fiberglass over the wood to give it a smooth look. Sanding still has to be done as well. For most of the piping, I'm going to use PVC. As for the tanks I still have decide what to use.
Well, it's just a small bit and a start, but I hope to have one cool looking prop when I'm finished with it.

And suggestions/comments? Thanks for viewing :).

EDIT: OOPS! Wrong forums. Mods please move to "Weapons and Props"

Oooooooo, I like the way this is starting out.

Maybe you could make those plates out of fiberglassed cardboard.

Loess said:
Oooooooo, I like the way this is starting out.

Maybe you could make those plates out of fiberglassed cardboard.

Good idea! I wonder why I didn't think about fiberglass covered cardboard? lol I put on some cardboard with some tape. I'll glue it on tomorrow.
DSCN0726.jpg

Looking at it now is laughable, but I hope to have it looking awesome soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
niiice man i wouldnt use a broom for the front id find something else that could be bent or closely resembles it maybe some PVC and maybe even find a small propane tank for that back part but sweet lookn so far! good work ^^

thats nice right there. i can't wait to see this project finished. i'll be watching this for updates. keep the good work up.

Man..... now you've got me wanting to build this too. And there's no way that I can add another project to the pile till something else gets done.

Those cardboard side panels look awesome, bdw. :D

*Edit*
Have you thought about the tanks yet? In the halo art book, the renders of the flamethrower show one tank being fiber-wrapped, like a paintball high-pressure air tank. Maybe an airsmith somewhere has one that's been damaged, and can't be used anymore that would work for building this.

redragon74 said:
niiice man i wouldnt use a broom for the front id find something else that could be bent or closely resembles it maybe some PVC and maybe even find a small propane tank for that back part but sweet lookn so far! good work ^^
The broom was just something I threw in for kicks for the photo. For the real barrel, I'm going to use piping.

Loess said:
Man..... now you've got me wanting to build this too. And there's no way that I can add another project to the pile till something else gets done.
Those cardboard side panels look awesome, bdw. :D

*Edit*
Have you thought about the tanks yet? In the halo art book, the renders of the flamethrower show one tank being fiber-wrapped, like a paintball high-pressure air tank. Maybe an airsmith somewhere has one that's been damaged, and can't be used anymore that would work for building this.
Yeah, I noticed that. Actually, what I was thinking was how about making one awesome water-gun? :p The rear tank could hold compressed air, of course that means I'd have to buy a good tank but that's no big deal. The middle tank could hold the water.

Or I could go all out and make it functional like this... http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2005/11/h...amethrower.html :D I've also seen safer ways to make a flamethrower. One of them involved compress air and powdered coffee creamer! It worked well too.

An easy thing to do would be to get a super-soaker, take it apart and reassemble it to fit in the weapon.

But hey, right now I'm going to concentrate on sanding down the frame and fiber glassing it. ;) Then I'll worry about the tanks/piping/maybe actually working to some degree. On another note, any idea about the handle. Maybe just cut a wooden handles from the same board, glue them together, then sand them down correctly. That's my best guess.

You've got the right idea for the handles.

And now you've cursed me to figure out how to make this the most overpowered watergun ever. The first thing that comes to mind is to use a still-functional hpa bottle instead of just a cosmetic one. That'd be all the power you could ever need for a pressurized air operated (super-soaker) watergun. One regulator, one or two valves, a water tank that could hold some pressure......

Sometimes being an engineer sucks, because I don't have the "But I don't know how" excuse any more.

If you want, I can help you design some of this stuff.

Another fun thing would be to stick a remote-operated can of silly-string in the nozzle.....

Loess said:
You've got the right idea for the handles.

And now you've cursed me to figure out how to make this the most overpowered watergun ever. The first thing that comes to mind is to use a still-functional hpa bottle instead of just a cosmetic one. That'd be all the power you could ever need for a pressurized air operated (super-soaker) watergun. One regulator, one or two valves, a water tank that could hold some pressure......

Sometimes being an engineer sucks, because I don't have the "But I don't know how" excuse any more.

If you want, I can help you design some of this stuff.
Another fun thing would be to stick a remote-operated can of silly-string in the nozzle.....
That'd be great.:) Thanks a lot.

Here's the scans from the art book, in case you don't already have them.

[attachment=5863:Flamethrower1.jpg]
[attachment=5864:flamethrower2.jpg]

I'm still going over the early design stuff like how to plumb the air and water lines, and how to get appropriate pressure vessels. Hopefully, I can look some of that up this weekend.

Hmm, maybe the big tank in the middle of the frame cold be made from a pressure cooker...

I really like what you have so far. It's looking really good! I'll have to keep my eye on this one!

Loess said:
Here's the scans from the art book, in case you don't already have them.

[attachment=5863:Flamethrower1.jpg]
[attachment=5864:flamethrower2.jpg]

I'm still going over the early design stuff like how to plumb the air and water lines, and how to get appropriate pressure vessels. Hopefully, I can look some of that up this weekend.

Hmm, maybe the big tank in the middle of the frame cold be made from a pressure cooker...
Thanks for the scans. Now I really see the texture on the tank. Also good reference shots.

link4044 said:
haha me likely....im watching this

Wow. Because of your post, now I feel like I HAVE to make an awesome weapon! But really, thanks Link. :)

I've sanded down the frame to give it a more rounded look, and have covered a good portion of it in bondo. I sprayed it down in automotive primer and it looks great. I still have some work to do with bondoing and sanding, but no more than a days work. I still have to cut both handles and sand them down though.

I have also put it together with screws now. Before, it was held together with hotglue. Though it was pretty stable, hot glue is a bit too flexible and caused the frame to move a bit. It is now nice and sturdy.

The entire front assembly is coming along nice. Both 'fins' have been cut and fiber-glassed two time. It is still a bit flexible so I'm going to add a third layer of glass then sand it down. The other part of the front assembly will be made of both wood and cardboard. The wood will be the support while the cardboard + bondo gives it shape.

I can't really describe in words how cool it looks :). I would take pics but my sister 'stole' my camera for an eight day visit to Florida. ;_;

Thanks to everybody else as well. Your comments are much appreciated.

I love scratch-building projects. I'll be keeping an eye on this topic, take your time and make us proud with a quality end piece. I'd love to see this come to life. Looking great so far... got me itching for a scratch build again.

Cheers,
Kensai

Now you've got me looking at the local steel yard's catalog for aluminum tubing. Bad Razgriz! You're much too awesome at this. :lol:

Glad you like the reference shots, the book usually only has a couple shots of anything, but they're normally good clear pics from useful angles.

redragon74 said:
http://mirror.linnwood.org/flamethrower/
here you go

i dont think its the same one you posted earlyer but, his rents helpd him make it :D and it shows just about step by step instructions lol who knows ;P would be pretty cool

Heh, I've seen this one before, It's a nice (but dangerous) build. I'd personally like the nozzle farther away from me than he made it, and with a valve that'd close automatically if let go.

@ Razgriz

From my first look around at online paintball stores, prices for fiber wrapped cylinders are around 160 USD, and a secondary regulator will be 40-60 USD. Apparently every air cylinder manufacturer quit making tank mounted adjustable regs while I was out of paintball for a while, so that'll add some more fittings unless there's some old adjustable reg tanks on ebay that I didn't see.

Basically, the air powered system might cost 300-400 USD, depending on parts.

And the basic schematic of the system.
[attachment=5869:flamethrower3.JPG]

redragon74 said:
http://mirror.linnwood.org/flamethrower/
here you go

i dont think its the same one you posted earlyer but, his rents helpd him make it :D and it shows just about step by step instructions lol who knows ;P would be pretty cool

euhm you do know wy a flamethrower is forbidden by the humanisation rights and its an iligal woapon...
this is very dangereuse for espeaccyally you since a flamethrower easally blows up :s

i wouldnt suggest making it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back