Reach EOD Helmet WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
A very quick but happy update:

After several hours of patience, I successfully factory-reset my Windows laptop and it is now uncluttered and working flawlessly (with the exception of the 1! key, which is giving me trouble). This means I can get back to unfolding and Cameo cutting! I have a shoulder to resize, so that will be the first order of business. Maybe tomorrow, we'll see.

Also - I'm now 2/3 of the way through the New Recruit phase. Can't wait for December 14th. :D

I spoke too soon about the PC. It's working fine, but there are so many crap programs that came with the factory reset that I've been tearing my hair out trying to uninstall so the popups will stop impeding my work. On top of that, the windows mobility center keeps popping up for no reason, despite my efforts to stop it, even when I resorted to the registry editor. Oh - :facepalm - I just figured it out. There's a panel button above the number pad that opens the mobility center and the physical button is flaking out.

Either my patience is growing shorter over time, or my peace of mind is worth a new laptop. That's my current thought process anyway.

I was going to cut out another shoulder after resizing to try the fit, but it's gotten late and I try not to use the cameo after 9:30 so it won't wake the neighbors. We share a wall and since I know they have kids it wouldn't be right for me to make a racket. On a good day I would just cart my equipment down to the basement, but I've had killer allergies for the past week and no energy left for those shenanigans.

Here's looking forward to the weekend, when I can actually make some progress. I haven't even touched the helmets.

Relax, take your time......we're not expecting a full suit overnight.......

Non-stop day, but I got a bit of work done. Here's a comparison of the first and second helmets at the same stage.

IMG_0999.JPG

Your helmet is looking absolutely great so far! I'll definitely be following this build, as the reach EOD is the only variant of EOD that I actually like, probably because it doesn't look like some kind of discount stormtrooper helmet.:lol

Your helmet is looking absolutely great so far! I'll definitely be following this build, as the reach EOD is the only variant of EOD that I actually like, probably because it doesn't look like some kind of discount stormtrooper helmet.:lol

Thank you! It's been an adventure so far, and I'm just getting started.

Have a look, everyone. Critique and suggestions welcome. This is the first coat of primer.

IMG_1012.JPG

Very sweet helmet......(why can't I get mine done like this *sniff....sniff*?) Great job so far. Needs a bit more sanding is some areas but It is looking really good.

Thank you! It's been an adventure so far, and I'm just getting started.

Have a look, everyone. Critique and suggestions welcome. This is the first coat of primer.

View attachment 33782

I don't do much pep, but I would suggest using some spot putty to make the helmet even smoother. It already looks nice right now, but if you do that it'll look even better

I don't do much pep, but I would suggest using some spot putty to make the helmet even smoother. It already looks nice right now, but if you do that it'll look even better

I was hoping there was an alternative to using more bondo. Any recommended brand?

If you have bondo accessible, I'd stick to it as it works well and is perfect for the kind of surfacing you are doing right now. As for a little tip I'd like to give you, I'd suggest getting hold of a few tools. I'd get a rasp, a corse wood file, a medium file and a set of sanding sponges. You can realy true up certain curves and angles with some steady and repetitive motion with the various files. If you take your time and methodicaly build up layers of bondo, you can sculpt any of the missing details on the base helmet. I'd try to remove as much sanding work with the files as I possibly could. It will make your life a lot easier later down the road when you get to completion.

You're doing great so far and dont rush things ! Your helmet has no visible warping and you should make sure to pay as much care as you payed in the peping phase :) Trust me, it will pay off !

Hello. I just made an account under an hour ago, and I was wondering where the Create Thread button is.

Welcome. Since you've just joined, you're limited to creating threads in the New Recruits forum, which you can find here. There is a blue button near the top left that says "+ Post New Thread" beneath the 405th site banner. Although you can't create threads elsewhere on the site yet, you can still respond to existing threads.

Thanks for the warm welcome. When will I be able to start threads?

You can create threads, in the New Recruits forum as I mentioned in my previous response.

It's in your best interest to set aside some time to read/watch through the materials in the New Members sticky index. There you will find all the info you need in order to best understand how to tackle being a part of the 405th community.

I also highly recommend you take care to pay attention to the people who offer you assistance. Read their advice, because overlooking answers that have already been given to you is frustrating for members who have been here for a while. As a final piece of advice, be careful asking questions that are off topic or in personal project threads, otherwise the moderators will come down on you.

If you have bondo accessible, I'd stick to it as it works well and is perfect for the kind of surfacing you are doing right now. As for a little tip I'd like to give you, I'd suggest getting hold of a few tools. I'd get a rasp, a corse wood file, a medium file and a set of sanding sponges. You can realy true up certain curves and angles with some steady and repetitive motion with the various files. If you take your time and methodicaly build up layers of bondo, you can sculpt any of the missing details on the base helmet. I'd try to remove as much sanding work with the files as I possibly could. It will make your life a lot easier later down the road when you get to completion.

You're doing great so far and dont rush things ! Your helmet has no visible warping and you should make sure to pay as much care as you payed in the peping phase :) Trust me, it will pay off !

This is my current loadout. I think I have all the files you mentioned, and they make a huge difference in helping maintain the details. I'll keep on refining.

FullSizeRender 9.jpg

Tonight I've been trying to find some reference solutions to properly sizing the pep files before printing. The render Chernobyl gave me made me realize how integral sizing is to the uniformity of the build, because the Spartan body is very much Hero-type, so the proportions are not going to be the same if I'm sizing it for myself. I overlaid the armor render over a photo of myself for comparison.

FullSizeRender 10.jpg

I was hoping there was an alternative to using more bondo. Any recommended brand?

Yeah sorry about that, I didn't realize that this was your first coat of primer. You're still going to keep doing bondo, but after you're done with that, you can use spot putty. My favorite brand for spot putty is bondo. It comes in a pretty large tube and it'll last you a decent amount of time before you have to buy more.

Yeah sorry about that, I didn't realize that this was your first coat of primer. You're still going to keep doing bondo, but after you're done with that, you can use spot putty. My favorite brand for spot putty is bondo. It comes in a pretty large tube and it'll last you a decent amount of time before you have to buy more.

Now I see the amount of imperfections revealed by the primer, I will try to shape it up a bit more with body filler, but I will pick up a bottle of spot putty for the final touch up. Thanks!

Now I see the amount of imperfections revealed by the primer, I will try to shape it up a bit more with body filler, but I will pick up a bottle of spot putty for the final touch up. Thanks!

No problem man, the more time you spend with bondo, the better your final helmet will look!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back